Is Lenny Hayes a 'Modern Day Great'?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been in the top 20 players in the AFL for probably the past 5 years (exclude 2011 of course).

Don't know if he is a modern day great, that would seem a pretty small number to me. Would certainly make the top 50 players of 2000 -2010 I would have thought.

I rate guys like Hird, Buckley, Voss, Ablett as "modern day greats".

Hayes is a step below. Equal with guys like Scott West.

Would be in the top 30ish players I've seen, so he is worth mentioning but I'd say no. Ablett is a modern day great and maybe 3 or 4 others.

He's been in the top 20 players in the AFL for probably the past 5 years (exclude 2011 of course).

Don't know if he is a modern day great, that would seem a pretty small number to me. Would certainly make the top 50 players of 2000 -2010 I would have thought.

:thumbsu:

being the number one player for a club over a number of seasons doesnt make you a legend. hayes is a great for that club, absolutely and no one will argue. for the game overall - no.

the number one player last 5 years - obviously GAJ. before him probably goodes, before that buckley, hird, voss etc etc.

The Herald-Sun likes to indulge in over the top hyperbole. The description of Lenny Hayes as a "modern-day great" is nothing more than an example of the Herald-Sun's modus operandi.

A great player, but not a "modern day great" (whatever that actually means).

He is just as much a "great" as half the players people consider superstars from pre 2000. Sports people are a bit like paintings in that way. As soon as they retire/die they become far better than they actually were. In 20 years time people will be calling him a great of the 2000's and rightfully so. Its a shame his knee cost him a couple of seasons and st kildas stupid rotational captancy thing possibly cost them a flag in my opinion.

He played one of the modern day great games... The first 2010 grandfinal was as good a game as I can remember from an inside midfielder against qualitly opposition on the biggest day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Herald-Sun likes to indulge in over the top hyperbole. The description of Lenny Hayes as a "modern-day great" is nothing more than an example of the Herald-Sun's modus operandi.

Except for the fact that they like to slag all over St Kilda at every opportunity (much like Bigfooty), so for them to say something like that is big praise.

Also I as a Saints fan wouldn't pay much heed to anybody downplaying Lenny's contribution. Wasn't AA 2010, but won the NS over a ton of players who were. Continually underrated.

Gee, the Saints have a contender for modern day great and it aint Hayes.

Is N.Burke a great??

He finished with more BnFs, more games and as many AA seasons as Lenny will.

N.Burke > L.Hayes, but not many people would rate N.Burke a legend of 90s football.

Gee, the Saints have a contender for modern day great and it aint Hayes.

Is N.Burke a great??

He finished with more BnFs, more games and as many AA seasons as Lenny will.

N.Burke > L.Hayes, but not many people would rate N.Burke a legend of 90s football.

terrible anology. hayes has been a great player in a really good side for most of his career.

burke was a really good player in a poor side for almost all his career.

therefore Burke will have more b and f's (less comp) Hayes has been robbed of at least 2 AA from memory. and is a place getter in a super strong brownlow

for the op i think they are referring to one of St kIlda's modern day greats which no one can argue with.

This, just some journo having a jerk

terrible anology. hayes has been a great player in a really good side for most of his career.

burke was a really good player in a poor side for almost all his career.

therefore Burke will have more b and f's (less comp) Hayes has been robbed of at least 2 AA from memory. and is a place getter in a super strong brownlow

for the op i think they are referring to one of St kIlda's modern day greats which no one can argue with.

N.Burke played alongside

Lockett, R.Harvey, Loewe, Winmar, Frawley for the majority of his career all of whom are St.Kilda FC hall of famers (Lockett and R.Harvey will most likely be legends of the club).

A pretty fair comparison IMO, N.Burke is a St.Kilda champion but would he be classified as a 90s great??

If he doesn't than Lenny prob shouldn't rate a mention as a 2000s great.

Except for the fact that they like to slag all over St Kilda at every opportunity (much like Bigfooty), so for them to say something like that is big praise.

Well actually, Lenny Hayes is the opposite of the most of his teammates and football club. If they were talking about Milne/Riewoldt, that's a bit different because they aren't media/public fanboys, but you would struggle to find a supporter who doesn't admire Hayes for how good he is and the way he goes about it.

The only St Kilda player to consistently plaudits from the media and fans alike.

And yes, he is criminally underrated. Was a top 10 midfielder last year, Saints would not have struggled as much as they did either with him.

highly respected player. not blessed with the pace of judd or the freakishness of Gazza. But a really good player just out of that 'modern day great bracket'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back