Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we beat the bottom of the ladder made up of promoted rookies and rehashed ex players. Has anything changed since our loss last week?

Yes. We now have 8 premiership points and our percentage rose to 64.6%.

Maybe he read his contract wrong and thought he was hired as a couch and only realised his mistake this year.

Possible, but I think the more likely explanation is he applied to drive the Brisbane Lions coach, but through an administrative error his application was also submitted to be the Brisbane Lions coach. The first 2 years he performed admirably ferrying many wonderful OAP's from their home's to the Lions pokie barn, restructuring the playing list in his spare time. Unfortunately late in the 2015 during a particularly stressful pension week Leppitsch was observed slamming Glenda from Daisy Hill against the side of the bus. At this point Bob Sharpless stepped in, stating that the OAP's of the community really needed someone who was 100% dedicated to the task and he was stepped down. Leppitsch was left with the less demanding role of Brisbane Lions head coach for the 2016 season.

lions_bus.jpg

40d4cf36553f2bb6b0c1b1c8d95491db

Maybe he means he tried to coach but didn't really achieve much due to player turnover.
I think he means 'coach' in the game day sense. With an experienced squad, a coach will develop a plan, strategise, assign roles and make sure those players can perform those roles, by either selecting the right player or teaching that player how.
With the mob we've got, it's more about just getting games into young bodies, letting them learn where they're going wrong and helping them developing their skill sets.
So it's a different type of coaching but he means that the type of coaching he has had to be doing, isn't about winning games specifically, but producing players for future games.

Playing youngsters and having your best sidelined means that on game day, you are trying to get them to try/practice things, as opposed to directing a winning plan where participants can do what you want.

I think Leppa has done an amazing job in keeping the squad together and united. I hope the board gives him 12 months more with the benefit of a senior assistant to help on game day to see if the ship at least is turning.

If someone else does get appointed they are going to reap the benefit of some of leppas hard choices, which I hope isn't forgotten

I think he means 'coach' in the game day sense. With an experienced squad, a coach will develop a plan, strategise, assign roles and make sure those players can perform those roles, by either selecting the right player or teaching that player how.
With the mob we've got, it's more about just getting games into young bodies, letting them learn where they're going wrong and helping them developing their skill sets.
So it's a different type of coaching but he means that the type of coaching he has had to be doing, isn't about winning games specifically, but producing players for future games.

Playing youngsters and having your best sidelined means that on game day, you are trying to get them to try/practice things, as opposed to directing a winning plan where participants can do what you want.

Yep. I think until recently the coaches have tried to simplify the game and gameplan down to a level and then stuck to that with a determination in mind to try and not overload the players or force them to think too much... "go out, do these 1,2 or 3 things today and we'll be happy". At times it's made us look unresponsive and incapable of adapting but I think it was a deliberate approach.

In the last few games you can see strategic changes before and during the game. Match ups change much more as do positional plays.

I'm guessing it would be as much the coach growing in confidence the players can execute as much as the players themselves.

I think Leppa has done an amazing job in keeping the squad together and united. I hope the board gives him 12 months more with the benefit of a senior assistant to help on game day to see if the ship at least is turning.

If someone else does get appointed they are going to reap the benefit of some of leppas hard choices, which I hope isn't forgotten

Bit of a Robert Walls scenario?

My mind is starting to change in regards to Leppa. A week ago I was all for looking for another head coach but listening to a lot of his reasoning about how young players react compared to more experienced players it's starting to make a lot of sense. He made a point about when the ball goes over the line young players use it to have a 10 second rest rather than immediately getting set up, which more experienced players do because they are more conditioned/fitter. I'm starting to realise there isn't much more we can expect from our young list than what is being dished up at the moment. All for getting better credentialed assistant coaches from more successful teams but happy to see Leppa coach for 2017.

As supporters we get frustrated when we don't win games and it's easy to overlook where we are at as a group. Another couple of years of solid drafting/recruiting and development and we have the pieces in place to be playing finals in another 3 years.

My mind is starting to change in regards to Leppa. A week ago I was all for looking for another head coach but listening to a lot of his reasoning about how young players react compared to more experienced players it's starting to make a lot of sense.
As supporters we get frustrated when we don't win games and it's easy to overlook where we are at as a group. Another couple of years of solid drafting/recruiting and development and we have the pieces in place to be playing finals in another 3 years.
Will you still feel the same way come the end of the H&A season, when no doubt Leppa will have been under pump from the media again for a number of weeks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will you still feel the same way come the end of the H&A season, when no doubt Leppa will have been under pump from the media again for a number of weeks?

Yep. His reasoning makes a lot of sense and you can see how the younger players react and how frustrated they get making mistakes rather than getting on with the game. As we grow and mature as a group they will deal with these situations better.

A win can cloud people memories. Leppa just isn't a great coach. 1 win does not undo 2 years of rubbish. In saying that he will probably last next season but FFS he needs a senior assistant in the box and if it's true that he refuses than he will have to go. I dislike stubborn people personally and I know for a fact that Leppa is stubborn.

A win can cloud people memories. Leppa just isn't a great coach. 1 win does not undo 2 years of rubbish. In saying that he will probably last next season but FFS he needs a senior assistant in the box and if it's true that he refuses than he will have to go. I dislike stubborn people personally and I know for a fact that Leppa is stubborn.
My opinion hasn't changed on Leppa throughout - I don't really know if he's a great coach or not, but I hope he's given another year to prove that he is at least a good coach. I also hope he's given more assistance and that he's smart enough not to reject it if offered.

The players love him. Not sure anyone else would have been able to do any better with the current list.

Obviously we only won on the weekend because Leppa couldn't stand up in the corner of the coaches box at Etihad.

watched snippets of the game at cooinda lodge in Kakadu in between crocodile spotting, dips in the pool and a glass of red. they looked pretty good from what i saw and essendon had been in reasonable form in the few weeks prior.

also just had a look at leppas press conference, loved what he had to say. he has been great under fire and i would love him to prove the naysayers wrong if he is given the chance.

Winning the game made me more calm and accepting of the reasons why we are in the position we are in. Losing week after week didn't make me see any reason whatsoever, i was just pissed off and thought it was all an excuse rather than a legitimate reason for where we are at as a football club.

The club must be doing something right, we have some great young talent and so many players have re-signed this year. Happy to see Leppa coach next year.

Yay to the full time psychologist.

If all the assistants go Leppa would be more likely to stay - wouldn't be good to have a complete turn over.
I thought if Leppa was to go the new guy would want to bring in his own offsiders but yeah you could be right. Be interesting to see how the club views that.

would love an elite development coach to come on board to guide/improve the young guns we have over the next few years. brenden McCartney? brenton sanderson, must have something (appointed afl academy coach). any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back