Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We were always going to wait until after the season was completed to finalise our position.

"We've just been gathering as much information as possible.

"It's a complex decision."
Sounds to me like a hell of a lot has been going on behind the scenes. I'm still fairly confident Leppa will go and that things are in place to appoint a new coach.

I for one, definitely hop Leppa gets another year to show what he's got. I doubt there are many options out there anyway. (If they went for Malthouse for example) I am DEFINITELY becoming a SUN's supporter. One thing is for certain imo ... If they sack Leppa, it will put us back another 2+ years from making finals, no players would ever want to come here due to lack of stability, and whole club becomes an even bigger laughing stock. Risk one more year with Leppa and be on track for finals in 2 to 3 years or sack Lepp, and do list rebuild again, new playing style, coaches etc ..... And then sack that coach in 3 years because ZERO chance we will be competitive, get new coach, do rebuild .... Play like crap & then sack them after 3 years !! Just sounds great.
I keep saying stay the course and keep the faith... Nothing's changed in my mind. Fossey's on the money!

"We were always going to wait until after the season was completed to finalise our position.

"We've just been gathering as much information as possible.

"It's a complex decision."
Sounds to me like a hell of a lot has been going on behind the scenes. I'm still fairly confident Leppa will go and that things are in place to appoint a new coach.

Pretty sure our position will soon be confirmed as fetal (pic below). If we weren't handed a simply horrible first half of the season draw there wouldn't have been a one year extension on Leppa's contract. That being said, I'm sure the performances we delivered this year were well under even the low expectations of the club board.

Screen shot 2016-08-24 at 9.46.29 PM.png

Leppitsch should never been handed a contract extension. That's not hindsight; that's based on previous form. Poor board decision (Matthews included). My opinion, but leaving that to one side.

Question: If Leppitsch, Rockliff and Matthews were all shown the door in the next couple of weeks, would it

A) Be the 'break' the club requires to move forward

B) Set the club back many years

C) Make no difference, given where the club finds itself today and the personalities involved.

I don't know the answer but I know there are people out there more informed than myself to give a considered opinion.

I'm interested to hear it.

Leppitsch should never been handed a contract extension. That's not hindsight; that's based on previous form. Poor board decision (Matthews included). My opinion, but leaving that to one side.

Question: If Leppitsch, Rockliff and Matthews were all shown the door in the next couple of weeks, would it

C) Make no difference, given where the club finds itself today and the personalities involved.

I don't know the answer but I know there are people out there more informed than myself to give a considered opinion.

B. Without a doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of A and B IMO. It would be a classic case of one sep back two steps forward.

B without a shadow of a doubt. Matthews or Rockliff going probably wont have as much effect as Leppa being replaced will.

This club will be set back at least 2 to 3 years as the new coach will come in and sweep out and start again.

No matter which way this goes it is going to come down too not if but how much pain in terms of years are we going to be in.

My opinion is Leppa maybe none to little pain(6 months) as the team clicks and starts coming together next year and shows what we all know they are capable of.

New coach at least 2 more years of pain, 3 depending on what or how much cleaning he does.

if Leppa does survive the review he will not survive past half way through next year unless-

1) we have a good run re injury. particularly the senior core eg. D.Beams, T.Rockliff, P.Hanley, A.Christensen, D.Rich, S.Martin, D.Zorko.
2) that senior group play to their optimum form.
3) it is vital we recruit 1 preferably 2 experienced key position defenders and 1 more ruck back up.

i would be looking at offering Nathan and Mitch Brown a chance to play their career out together and Jared Witts as a the ruck option.

I don't think a new coach will be coming here expecting to clear out a heap of players. I don't see how we get setback another 2 years at all.

This. I'm afraid people are fearing the worst and rightly so given how the club has been. I think we're on an upward trajectory and we really need to recruit a KPD or two and a quality mid around 21-23 to replace Rock. We're in a very similar situation to the Bulldogs were except we've got the talent in KPPS and theirs was inthe middle so it'll be a little bigger climb for us. When we reach the top of the mountain and we've got Schache and Hipwood dominating up front and Andrews and Gardiner bullying down back with a swingman in Mcstay helping at either end, it'll be a very sweet feeling.

This. I'm afraid people are fearing the worst and rightly so given how the club has been. I think we're on an upward trajectory and we really need to recruit a KPD or two and a quality mid around 21-23 to replace Rock. We're in a very similar situation to the Bulldogs were except we've got the talent in KPPS and theirs was inthe middle so it'll be a little bigger climb for us. When we reach the top of the mountain and we've got Schache and Hipwood dominating up front and Andrews and Gardiner bullying down back with a swingman in Mcstay helping at either end, it'll be a very sweet feeling.

have you been talking to a horse?

I don't think a new coach will be coming here expecting to clear out a heap of players. I don't see how we get setback another 2 years at all.

New game style to learn is basically a year off from the beginning.

Along with this, you would expect a new coach to probably clear out 5 players I reckon which sets us back as we need to fill those gaps.

This group clicking with the new players plus a new game plan is as above at least a year, then a year to actually play it well so 2 years before we see results.

Also you may have some crack it because the new coach may want defensive and they don't want that and the new coach puts them in their place.... some players don't get along with the new coach so ask to leave. Some are put down the pecking order because the new coach's game plan doesn't suit that players style.

There is a lot more but this essentially puts us back 2 years at least.

That'll obviously be an obstacle for the playing group but I don't see a new coach coming in with an overly comply game plan. It'll all about defensive structure and defensive running because we know how to score. Reducing turnovers is key.

Hmmm all this talk of new coaches setting us back years to learn a new game plan etc, however what recent examples of new coaches including Hinkley, Bolton, Beveridge, Simpson etc show is a substantial jump in improvement (at least in their first year anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back