Is Mark Blicavs a symptom of what is wrong with the Cats?

cynical

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Blicavs is a limited player with unique running ability. His running ability makes him a good player if it's used correctly.

He found his niche as a tall defender because they dont need great skills if they can defend well enough.

Unfortunately when you have poor skills you need to be "protected" and you need other players to make up the difference.

Problem being Chris Scott has built a team full of poorly skilled players like Blicavs and he protects them with his game plan.

Tom Lonergan also had poor skills, at least poor kicking skills and he was protected. But the great Geelong team didn't have a team full of Lonergans. The current version does.

Our overrated backline only has Stewart as a skilled player. The rest of them are good defenders with poor skills. Taylor had good skills for a tall back in the days but he is too old now so has slower reaction time.

Our midfield is similar, we have Kelly, Duncan and Guthrie with good skills. Duncan and Guthrie have become much more inconsistent which is due to the game style, they cant just play their natural game.

The GFC continue to takes short cuts by recruiting players with poor skills and get found out every finals series cos as pressure goes up our players dont have the ability to deal with it.

To win premierships you need highly skilled players and you need to expose them to high pressure situations and to take risks. You want them making mistakes throughout the season and early in their career.

We have a team that takes no risks so we finish high on the ladder because other teams are making mistakes. When finals come around those other teams are better prepared and have refined their game.

Jordan Clark is a prime example he takes a lot of risks, he made many mistakes in the back line which is good. What happens is Chris Scott doesn't like this so he is moved up the ground where his mistakes dont cost as much.

Jordan Clark should be in the back line making mistakes and costing goals cos in 3-5 years he'll be a great attacking defender.

We had Cam Guthrie as a great attacking defender, he got moved around and now look at him he doesn't have the same attacking instinct he once had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Partridge

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Or some just see him as a good work horse ...there’s far worse players in the side
He is a good work horse, and there are worse players.

But the concept, which I believe was the point in the first place, that perceived ‘versatile’ players can be shuffled about easily gets exploded in finals. Blicavs has value as a key defender. Absolutely. But not as a ruckman and especially not in finals.

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
He is a good work horse, and there are worse players.

But the concept, which I believe was the point in the first place, that perceived ‘versatile’ players can be shuffled about easily gets exploded in finals. Blicavs has value as a key defender. Absolutely. But not as a ruckman and especially not in finals.
Agree completely. He's a defender and a good one. As a chop our ruckman, he can hold his own for ruc work in D 50 if required.

He was asked to play a role that is not his to play. He tried and failed but thats hardly his fault. The person whom asked him however...very different story...

Go Catters

JimmysSideChick

Rookie
Suspended
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not knocking Blicavs, he's a good honest goer, but is he really worthy of being a dual b&f winner?

To me that just reeks of rewarding someone who's playing their role exactly how the coach wants, no matter how limited.

Geelong's list is full of much better and talented footballers, footballers that have played footy from the time they could walk.

He has just as many Carjis as Danger, Ablett Jnr, Enright, Joel Corey, Bill Goggin, Polly Farmer, Bruce Nankervis, Mark Bos, Steven King and Sam Newman.

He has more than Ablett Snr, Scarlett, Chapman, Ling.

Just reflect on that and let it sink in.

The coach has a philosophy and a game style and if you stick to it he will recognise you.

I know Blitz has his detractors on here, but it's not about his performance, it's about the club / coaches rewarding his game because his game is a reflection of what the coaches want.

I could probably add some more, but I'm at work on a tight schedule so will have to leave it at that for now.

Over to you fellow supporters.
I wish we had a few more Mark Blicavs.
We could do with a few more "goers" around the place

Ratcat

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The way Scott uses him his value is obvious with his B+F's, only highlights our lack of versatile talls.
Amazing how some on here were adamant against Finlayson who starred for the giants yesterday. We just don't have quality talls just make shifts that's our weakness.
More 195 -203 types needed.

JimmysSideChick

Rookie
Suspended
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
The way Scott uses him his value is obvious with his B+F's, only highlights our lack of versatile talls.
Amazing how some on here were adamant against Finlayson who starred for the giants yesterday. We just don't have quality talls just make shifts that's our weakness.
I had the discussion with a couple of posters here 2 years ago about Finlayson. I said he was a perfect for for the Cats, but was laughed at then too.
I still believe hes the perfect fot for us, but the problem is, weve stop gapped so many positions with aging and injured blokes, Im not sure we can prioritise him anymore.

Ratcat

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I had the discussion with a couple of posters here 2 years ago about Finlayson. I said he was a perfect for for the Cats, but was laughed at then too.
I still believe hes the perfect fot for us, but the problem is, weve stop gapped so many positions with aging and injured blokes, Im not sure we can prioritise him anymore.
Yeah same here, ...they don't fancy talls or respect them enough.... that's why they always use late picks or rookie pick them and we end up with b+c grade long shots.
Apart from Finlayson there was Sam Taylor playing for the Giants the other day a perfect replacement for HT but no we had long shot Gardner who now plays reserves Bulldogs.
We need to size up but no one seems to see it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom