Is Mark Blicavs a symptom of what is wrong with the Cats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blicavs is a limited player with unique running ability. His running ability makes him a good player if it's used correctly.

He found his niche as a tall defender because they dont need great skills if they can defend well enough.

Unfortunately when you have poor skills you need to be "protected" and you need other players to make up the difference.

Problem being Chris Scott has built a team full of poorly skilled players like Blicavs and he protects them with his game plan.

Tom Lonergan also had poor skills, at least poor kicking skills and he was protected. But the great Geelong team didn't have a team full of Lonergans. The current version does.

Our overrated backline only has Stewart as a skilled player. The rest of them are good defenders with poor skills. Taylor had good skills for a tall back in the days but he is too old now so has slower reaction time.

Our midfield is similar, we have Kelly, Duncan and Guthrie with good skills. Duncan and Guthrie have become much more inconsistent which is due to the game style, they cant just play their natural game.

The GFC continue to takes short cuts by recruiting players with poor skills and get found out every finals series cos as pressure goes up our players dont have the ability to deal with it.

To win premierships you need highly skilled players and you need to expose them to high pressure situations and to take risks. You want them making mistakes throughout the season and early in their career.

We have a team that takes no risks so we finish high on the ladder because other teams are making mistakes. When finals come around those other teams are better prepared and have refined their game.

Jordan Clark is a prime example he takes a lot of risks, he made many mistakes in the back line which is good. What happens is Chris Scott doesn't like this so he is moved up the ground where his mistakes dont cost as much.

Jordan Clark should be in the back line making mistakes and costing goals cos in 3-5 years he'll be a great attacking defender.

We had Cam Guthrie as a great attacking defender, he got moved around and now look at him he doesn't have the same attacking instinct he once had.

Or some just see him as a good work horse ...there’s far worse players in the side

He is a good work horse, and there are worse players.

But the concept, which I believe was the point in the first place, that perceived ‘versatile’ players can be shuffled about easily gets exploded in finals. Blicavs has value as a key defender. Absolutely. But not as a ruckman and especially not in finals.

He is a good work horse, and there are worse players.

But the concept, which I believe was the point in the first place, that perceived ‘versatile’ players can be shuffled about easily gets exploded in finals. Blicavs has value as a key defender. Absolutely. But not as a ruckman and especially not in finals.

Agree completely. He's a defender and a good one. As a chop our ruckman, he can hold his own for ruc work in D 50 if required.

He was asked to play a role that is not his to play. He tried and failed but thats hardly his fault. The person whom asked him however...very different story...

Go Catters

I'm not knocking Blicavs, he's a good honest goer, but is he really worthy of being a dual b&f winner?

To me that just reeks of rewarding someone who's playing their role exactly how the coach wants, no matter how limited.

Geelong's list is full of much better and talented footballers, footballers that have played footy from the time they could walk.

He has just as many Carjis as Danger, Ablett Jnr, Enright, Joel Corey, Bill Goggin, Polly Farmer, Bruce Nankervis, Mark Bos, Steven King and Sam Newman.

He has more than Ablett Snr, Scarlett, Chapman, Ling.

Just reflect on that and let it sink in.

The coach has a philosophy and a game style and if you stick to it he will recognise you.

I know Blitz has his detractors on here, but it's not about his performance, it's about the club / coaches rewarding his game because his game is a reflection of what the coaches want.

I could probably add some more, but I'm at work on a tight schedule so will have to leave it at that for now.

Over to you fellow supporters.
I wish we had a few more Mark Blicavs.
We could do with a few more "goers" around the place

The way Scott uses him his value is obvious with his B+F's, only highlights our lack of versatile talls.
Amazing how some on here were adamant against Finlayson who starred for the giants yesterday. We just don't have quality talls just make shifts that's our weakness.
More 195 -203 types needed.

The way Scott uses him his value is obvious with his B+F's, only highlights our lack of versatile talls.
Amazing how some on here were adamant against Finlayson who starred for the giants yesterday. We just don't have quality talls just make shifts that's our weakness.
I had the discussion with a couple of posters here 2 years ago about Finlayson. I said he was a perfect for for the Cats, but was laughed at then too.
I still believe hes the perfect fot for us, but the problem is, weve stop gapped so many positions with aging and injured blokes, Im not sure we can prioritise him anymore.

I had the discussion with a couple of posters here 2 years ago about Finlayson. I said he was a perfect for for the Cats, but was laughed at then too.
I still believe hes the perfect fot for us, but the problem is, weve stop gapped so many positions with aging and injured blokes, Im not sure we can prioritise him anymore.

Yeah same here, ...they don't fancy talls or respect them enough.... that's why they always use late picks or rookie pick them and we end up with b+c grade long shots.
Apart from Finlayson there was Sam Taylor playing for the Giants the other day a perfect replacement for HT but no we had long shot Gardner who now plays reserves Bulldogs.
We need to size up but no one seems to see it.

Last edited:
Yet another poor finals campaign by a player highly regraded by those inside the club.
He is one of about five others who have been given so much leeway for far too long now. Is a spokesperson when it comes social media and is probably part of the leadership group. Needs to be held accountable.

Yet another poor finals campaign by a player highly regraded by those inside the club.
He is one of about five others who have been given so much leeway for far too long now. Is a spokesperson when it comes social media and is probably part of the leadership group. Needs to be held accountable.
Not just a poor campaigner. Probably the worst finals player of all time.

this was actually one of his better finals series.

Never understood the fascination. He's a nothing player. Not quick. Not strong. Not skilled.

What is he?

Couldn't spoil Ben Brown to save his life tonight... the same Ben Brown who took as many contested marks tonight as he would have in three years at North.

Should be one of the first to go when we reshuffle the coaching box.

A disgrace that he won 2 B&Fs and the great J Bartel has 0.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood the fascination. He's a nothing player. Not quick. Not strong. Not skilled.

What is he?

Couldn't spoil Ben Brown to save his life tonight... the same Ben Brown who took as many contested marks tonight as he would have in three years at North.

Should be one of the first to go when we reshuffle the coaching box.

A disgrace that he won 2 B&Fs and the great J Bartel has 0.

You mean the Ben Brown that was top 10 in the league for contested marks per game on both 2016 and 2017. And was top 30 every season from 2016-2019?

Yeah Brown took some nice marks tonight and Blicavs lost some contests. But nobody is stopping that amount of easy ball coming in to 1 on 1 contests.

Picking out guys like Blicavs, Rohan, etc tonight is like walking off after being bowled out for 50 and pointing fingers at the tailenders. The midfield got obliterated and the forward line and defence were given no chance.

You mean the Ben Brown that was top 10 in the league for contested marks per game on both 2016 and 2017. And was top 30 every season from 2016-2019?

Yeah Brown took some nice marks tonight and Blicavs lost some contests. But nobody is stopping that amount of easy ball coming in to 1 on 1 contests.

Picking out guys like Blicavs, Rohan, etc tonight is like walking off after being bowled out for 50 and pointing fingers at the tailenders. The midfield got obliterated and the forward line and defence were given no chance.

Thanks for correcting me there, was being slightly facetious on the contested mark comment but didn't realise he ranked that high those couple of years.

And you're right, I am not blaming him for tonight and the midfield was destroyed. But some of his efforts are truly inept. Watching Gawn burn past him to take an uncontested mark on the lead was prime Blicavs.

Very accurate take this

Apt thread. Blicavs can join Menagola, Rohan, Henderson, Atkins et al as players that go to water in finals. Geelong has lost any semblance of ruthlessness. Such players need to be shown the door. What’s the point?

Apt thread. Blicavs can join Menagola, Rohan, Henderson, Atkins et al as players that go to water in finals. Geelong has lost any semblance of ruthlessness. Such players need to be shown the door. What’s the point?

I hate saying this, but you can add Selwood to that list lately.
Although it doesn't help him that at his age the MC grind him into the ground and never giving him a rest...

Yes. Sadly his time has come. But he has been a warrior and doesn’t belong with the aforementioned group imo.

Agreed. Would be awesome if he was the grizzled veteran in a core of 25-28 year olds and he can just be that inside warrior and bull, but unfortunately for all parties our core midfield group is old AF, slow and reactive so we almost need him to be 25 year old Selwood again, and he simply can't do it.
It's not his fault, it's the clubs IMO.

Agreed. Would be awesome if he was the grizzled veteran in a core of 25-28 year olds and he can just be that inside warrior and bull, but unfortunately for all parties our core midfield group is old AF, slow and reactive so we almost need him to be 25 year old Selwood again, and he simply can't do it.
It's not his fault, it's the clubs IMO.

Well said.

Thanks for correcting me there, was being slightly facetious on the contested mark comment but didn't realise he ranked that high those couple of years.

And you're right, I am not blaming him for tonight and the midfield was destroyed. But some of his efforts are truly inept. Watching Gawn burn past him to take an uncontested mark on the lead was prime Blicavs.
I read the post.. seems like he’s in your crosshairs to me..!

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back