Analysis Is Matt Crouch going to be the best ball magnet in the AFL?

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by Redleg Crow, May 19, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. Redleg Crow

Redleg Crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Have updated. Lyons 100% game average is 23.5 from 56.7% of game time; Grigg is 23.8 for 56.8% of game time! Almost twins! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. headache1

headache1 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
  3. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Done (now in the table) - avge per game 21.1, game time 83.6% for a 100% game time average of 25.2 - around the same as Boak and Heppell. Not too shabby.

Hendersloane likes this.
  4. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Cheers. Am one of those odd people who likes using spreadsheets :eek:

Danoz and headache1 like this.
  5. earlsta

earlsta Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    76ers
    Matt will be a gun.. But his brother will be something else. Has the potential when fit to be a genuine AA mid, don't forget this guy slipped into the AFL and dominated from day 1.

O'Meara, Brad crouch, Treloar & Shiel will be the next superstar mids for the next decade. They'll be the ones pushing fyfe and co in a couple of years. I may as well include Whitfield as well and who knows how Kelly will end up.. **** gws will be scary.

azza77 likes this.
  6. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd add Wines to that list, but yep, I think Brad is the greater talent compared to Matt. But cripes I want to see them together!

LiquidCrow, headache1 and Bay62 like this.
  7. 1970crow

1970crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Both Craig and Sando wanted deep entries. It's a lot harder to find space the deeper you go. Not many guys can't make the distance kicking over a guy standing the mark at 40m. Why not use the space and trust your fwds?

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? likes this.
  8. 6BTS

6BTS Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool King James Cleveland
    Matt Crouch is one of these guys who knows how to get the ball so there is a reasonable argument to be made, even at this early stage, that he could become the biggest ball magnet in the competition one day. He's the sort of guy that, all things being right with his development and he transitions into AFL football like all good footballers do, that he could end up having several 40+ possession games. The one thing that can't be denied about this kid is his ability to get his hands on the footy.

MrCrow likes this.
  9. TexForPM

TexForPM Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Give him a couple years and I reckon he's just the Priddis junk yard type. Brad will change games and Matt will keep rolling on. Stoppage after stoppage

azza77 likes this.
  10. Paladin

Paladin Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Matt has that great upper body frame ala Swan. Will be a beast at the stoppages for the next decade, has a lot of Swan about him actually.

11. Mattrox

Mattrox Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    What if you do this for effective disposals only?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    I used the stats from AFL Tables, they don't have an effective disposals stat

Mattrox likes this.
  13. 1970crow

1970crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    In terms of the player the thread is about, his avge for 2014 & 2015 was 75% in both. So I doubt that would have a material impact on where he sits.

14. DD#23

DD#23 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    will be a tough situation for the players. If I was the club I'd be telling them all what an unprecedented opportunity they've been given to potentially play in half a dozen premierships, but you can guarantee there will be several being offered Boyd-like offers and honestly that will be too good to pass up for some.

personally I hope at least three of their top-tier mids depart but we'll have to wait and see.

15. Mattrox

Mattrox Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
  16. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Mattrox likes this.
  17. Mong

Mong Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Crows
    Isn't that the default criticism for all draftees? I remember a lot saying that of Brodie Smith and look how that turned out.

18. Sanders

Sanders Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Swan is really really explosive off the mark.

Paladin likes this.
  19. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Still feeling good about this call

20. TheLeftFist8

TheLeftFist8 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Glenelg
    Not only that you got post #119 in the thread on this special occasion…quite apt.

21. Mr_Moogle

Mr_Moogle Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt FC
    Another example of how mediocre Sando was. He wanted deep entries into the forward line because he didn't trust our goal kicking accuracy. As you say, this creates issues when opposition teams flood back and congest the area. Our forward structure was terrible during those years. The mark of an average coach is when their solution to a problem is to create new problems.

22. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Two years ago and still feel this is my best call on Big Footy.

Matt Crouch is a fricken ball magnet par excellence.

I thought I'd bump this given this week came the gushing about Tom Mitchell breaking a "record" for highest avge disposals per game in a career of 50+ games:
    TOM Mitchell continues to soar in his first season as a Hawk, with the prolific midfielder now holding a monumental statistical record.

Among those to have played at least 50 games since weekly statistics were first recorded in 1965, Mitchell now boasts the highest disposal average.

The former Swan's career average has rocketed to 26.96, edging past Brisbane Lions counterpart Tom Rockliff (26.93).

TOM Mitchell continues to soar in his first season as a Hawk, with the prolific midfielder now holding a monumental statistical record. Among those to have played at least 50 games since weekly statistics were first recorded in 1965, Mitchell now boasts the highest disposal average. The former Swan's career average has rocketed to 26.96, edging past Brisbane Lions counterpart Tom Rockliff (26.93).

Admittedly it's a fluid situation, and Mitchell could also come under immediate threat from the likes of Collingwood star and fellow 24-year-old Adam Treloar (26.86) and Swans skipper Josh Kennedy (26.50).

But given his relative youth, Mitchell's career is expected to remain on the upswing for some time to come.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/hungry-hawk-chomps-through-the-stats-records

A thing to note - Mitchell was 24yrs, 33days old when he played his last game on the weekend, Treloar was 24yrs 116days old.
    Matt Crouch was 22yrs 72days old. He is 2 years younger than they are. And he is already averaging in his career 25.33 disposals per game.

And he is tracking better than Mitchell:
    Mit and Matt.png
    But of course Matt's average per game disposals get hit by the stupid sub-rule. In his first 18 games there were 6 games were he was on the field for less than 33% of the total time. Mitchell by contrast only was sub once. So what if we remove those sub games from the averages (and to be kind I'll take out the semi final Mitchell played where he did his ankle in the first quarter so only played 7% game time).

Here's what the graph looks like then:
    Mit and Matt subbies.png
    Mitchell's average rises to 27.49 and Matt jumps to 26.93.

We also know that Matt early on lacked fitness due to barely having a pre-season in his junior career due to cricket so his playing time even when playing a full game was limited early on (even if we take out his sub games he averaged only 70% playing time prior to this year - whereas this season he averages 77% - still lower than I'd like and well below Mitchell's 87% game time average this season, but when Mitchell was Matt's age in 2015 he only averaged 81%, so it's not *that* bad)

But if we use the measure I did to start this thread of disposals per 100% of game time, the Matt Crouch average looks rather fairly stunning:
    Mit and Matt 100 percent.png

To recap - Is Matt Crouch going to be the best ball magnet in the AFL? It sure looks like it, and sooner than we might have thought.

The key is to keep working on his fitness and get that game time up to consistently above 80%

And to remember the kid is still a kid - 22 is a baby for an inside mid and he is already a dead-set possession gun.

Bloody good pick 23, if you ask me.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  23. John Who

John Who All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    If Brad can get his foot injury right, the 2 Bros will be deadset one of the most valuable pairings since the days of the Jarman Bros. Brad has more X-factor about him to me, I believe we've yet to see him play to his full potential, and same goes for Matt. If we can get average possessions of 30 each per game from the Crouch Bros, then it's a fair chance we'd win.
    In answer to the thread topic, MCrouch probably will be ranked along the likes of a Tom Mitchell, Kelly etc. But don't count out BCrouch, as I feel he can possibly be more damaging with his carry and run game, even though less overall possessions.

Redleg Crow likes this.
  24. TheLeftFist8

TheLeftFist8 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Glenelg
    Possession rate is phenomenal and I believe the quality of his possessions, for an inside distributor mid, are far better than his earlier reputation suggests.

25. CrowBloke

CrowBloke Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    West Adelaide
    Adelaide Oval, tonight??? ;)

or, even better, 2018 Grand Final?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Redleg Crow and Milera2Betts like this.