Analysis Is Matt Crouch going to be the best ball magnet in the AFL?

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by Redleg Crow, May 19, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. LiamPickering

LiamPickering Team Captain

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    They out injured for the 2017 one?

Redleg Crow likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. LiamPickering

LiamPickering Team Captain

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    PS wish Jarman Impey slid to us :'(

I remember being told post draft one of the Port recruiters thought he would most likely reach 50 games but would never be a good player so they overlooked him.

[​IMG]

Wouldbetackler and Redleg Crow like this.
  3. StonesThrow

StonesThrow Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Should push 300. Big fan of his. Feels like he has been 22 for years.

4. The Sloane Ranger

The Sloane Ranger Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Pushing towards A grade

Wouldbetackler likes this.
  5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    What other b grade gets 30 per game ... every game. His possessions are quality to... not deadly .. but very acceptable

6. Paladin

Paladin Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
  7. rocket18

rocket18 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The EXERS
    Looking good for our BnF, has been so consistent.

What a season he is having, amazing he is only 22.

8. Paladin

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Killed it after half time and broke the game open. Dominant is a good description.

9. Redleg Crow

Redleg Crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    This was before tonight's game - this rating rewards consistency (much like the B&F)

IMG_3189.PNG

deaneus, Wouldbetackler and GrommoT like this.
  10. StonesThrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I've been going over the 2013 draft to pick the best players. I probably don't watch enough of other teams but here's a list.

Bontempelli
    Kelly
    Cripps
    Merrett
    Billings
    Salem
    Crouch???
    Sheed
    Kolodjashnij
    McCarthy
    McDonald
    Brown
    Jones
    Lobb

Seems weird putting him up that high and it's more than likely that some of them will go past him including some of the talls I have missed (Gardiner/McStay). He's obviously a step or two behind the top 5, but on current output he probably deserves to be top 10.

11. Paladin

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Salem is a classy player but Crouch well ahead on performance i would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    The Herald Sun re-ranked it last month:

THE 2013 DRAFT RE-RANKED

1. MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (No.4, Western Bulldogs): Almost the complete football CV at 21. Close to No.1 player in the game.
    2. JOSH KELLY (No.2, GWS Giants): North Melbourne’s $9 million carrot says everything. Brownlow calls from draft days are back on.
    3. ZACH MERRETT (No.26, Essendon): No.1 in AFL for metres gained this season, averaging 599 per game. Leather-poisoning Don the fans love.
    4. PATRICK CRIPPS (No.13, Carlton): Contested midfield beast who was a surprisingly early pick at 13 on draft night.
    5. JAYDEN HUNT (No.57, Melbourne): Searing pace and symbolic of the new Melbourne — shrewd recruiting polished with diligent development.
    6. ORAZIO FANTASIA (No.55, Essendon): Genuine A-grade small forward who has four bags of three goals or more this season (Bombers have won each of those games).
    7. MATT CROUCH (No.23, Adelaide): Ball magnet. Averaging 32.5 disposals per game — No.3 in the AFL.
    8. TOM BOYD (No.1, GWS/Bulldogs): Critics will disagree, but most can only dream of a Norm Smith Medal-worthy performance in a premiership.
    9. RORY LOBB (No.29, GWS Giants): No.3 for contested marks among forwards. Kicked three goals in a preliminary final.
    10. BEN BROWN (No.47, Nth Melb): Plucked from North’s VFL affiliate with supposedly dodgy ankles. Clean mark and reliable set-shot.
    11. JACK BILLINGS (No.3, St Kilda): It’s Billings with a bullet. Has rediscovered the scoreboard impact which made him a junior star.
    12. ZAK JONES (No.15, Sydney): Brother of Demons co-captain Nathan is now rated an elite wingman after being unleashed this year.
    13. JARMAN IMPEY (No.21, Port Adel): Doesn’t get the kudos in Victoria, but averaging 1.4 goals and 3.6 tackles per match.
    14. TOBY NANKERVIS (No.35, Sydney/Richmond): Aggressive ruckman who is a force around the ground. Is in the All-Australian conversation.
    15. CAMERON McCARTHY (No.14, GWS/Fremantle): Has returned from football wilderness to show glimpses — goalkicking accuracy still askew.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/08190fa55daca9f631c4a6e9cb85becd

relapse likes this.
  13. StonesThrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Ahhh. Forgot about Fantasia and Hunt.

Wouldn't have Boyd. Playing well in a GF is obviously a great thing for a young player to do, but I don't think it warrants plaudits when discussing who has been the better player since the draft. May well come back into it if he gets his mind right.

Impey has been gifted an early start to his career if you ask me. Not a bad player but so many deficiencies.

Nankervis has been good this season from what I've seen, but maybe a touch early to put him alongside the others. Same with Hunt.

Redleg Crow likes this.
  14. RodnyDangrfield

RodnyDangrfield Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat
    Future all Australian, and will be top 4 in our bnf this year. Kicking has improved out of sight. Single handedly turned the tide in the second half. Gun!

15. Bicks

Bicks Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...s/news-story/2cb6958f152d94cf759bbe63265e5c36

Adelaide Crows show premiership credentials

16. cmndstab

cmndstab Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    He's had a superb year so far. I never had any doubt that he'd be the kind of player to get 30 touches every week, but I've been so impressed with his poise and decision-making this year. It's amazing how much better his disposal looks now that he's taking an extra second to sum up his options.

Add to that what is now a good tank, good tackling technique, has been durable so far, and he is super competitive. He's become a really good player and is still so young, who knows how good he'll end up.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  17. dogs105

dogs105 Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Needs more Riley Knight

18. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    With just 21 games, the Crows need more Riley Knight - cf Bont - 78 games, Kelly 74, Merrett 74, Cripps 58, Matt 62.

In a couple years maybe, but right now he's still more potential than actual.

Golumless and Moonwatcher like this.
  19. Redleg Crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC
    44 disposals from 74% game time... Cripes.

2017 avge: Mitchell: 35.8 disposals, 87.5% game time = 40.9 per 100% game time
    2017 avge: Matt: 33.0 disposals, 76.9% game time = 42.9 per 100% game time

So to recap, the answer to the question is, "Yes"

Also those worried about his game time - we need to remember he is still young, and he averaged the same game time this year as Mitchell did 2 years ago when he was Matt's age.

20. Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool
    Well, watching a dead rubber from the couch at home as it turns out

21. John Who

John Who All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    There's actually a crazy good chance that in the next 12 months he could:
    - win a BnF this year
    - win a Norm Smith (if we make it to the GF)
    - win a Brownlow next year

I'm very tempted to say "bookmark it!", but I really hope he doesn't rest on his laurels and just keeps wanting to improve his craft. Not the most flashiest of players, but definitely someone I'd gladly have on my team!

Redleg Crow likes this.
  22. Schulzycrow

Schulzycrow Vale Walshy..Gone too soon.

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    NorwoodFC, Chic Bulls, Gldn State
    Matt Crouch All Australian

23. StonesThrow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Nice one :)

24. Bicks

Bicks Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...y/news-story/4692ea58856c654a6a0a36d6087ba8e0

The pair rank in the top three at the Crows in tackles, contested possessions and clearances, with only star vice-captain, fellow midfielder and AFLPA most courageous player winner Rory Sloane in the same conversation.

The Crouch siblings rank in the top five in the league as a midfield combination for disposals (averaging 60.8), groundball-gets (18.6) and uncontested possessions ((34.6).

They are averaging career-highs in almost every key statistic.

As for their brothers disposals record, Matt described it as “a funny one’’.

“It’s nice to achieve that together but it’s actually not something that me and Brad have even spoken about,’’ he said. “It’s something we might reflect on later but at the moment we’re just focused on the finals and trying to win a premiership.’’

The pair appears to have an almost telepathic on-field understanding but Matt said that it’s not something that comes naturally “because we didn’t play a lot of footy together growing up’’.

“Brad’s 15 months older than me so when we were growing up we weren’t in the same team very often,’’ Matt said.

“If anything, we probably just notice each other’s voice out on the field more than others.’’

That’s music to the ears of Crows’ fans.

deaneus and GrommoT like this.
  25. deaneus

deaneus Extremist Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Black Caps
    Rory Walkerfield and pirate bob like this.