Remove this Banner Ad

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
please be gentle

We've seen numerous reports over the past few months about McGovern's value, with the highest figure getting up to $1.3 million, about what some clubs were prepared to pay for Dustin Martin (arguably the best player in the game right now). I am in no way saying McGovern is a bad player, but I am suggesting that perhaps his worth is being inflated due to the structure of our back line. Consider the following:

1. West Coast has played a 'floating tall' in defence for a few years now, before it was McGovern it was Darren Glass taking a high number of intercept marks in his last few years at the club, with many praising him for his late career resurgence in form.

2. The one game we played this year without McGovern, Barrass took over his role in defence and Schofield took over Barrass' one-on-one role. In this game Barrass had a massive 11 marks, the most on the ground, and led the rebound 50 count (6). If Barrass played his role each week would he suddenly be worth 1.3 mill?

I dont think he's overrated, hes the best at what he does.
He can get shown up by a hard leading forward tho but no one wins every contest.
Is he worth that money?probably not
Would i like to keep him at the eagles? Hell yes!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think McGovern may regret going to another team for cash if he doesn't have the supporting cast he currently does.

I think he is slightly overrated. He can't defend one on one that great due to being too fat and slow. He is prone to the odd clanger from trying to be too cute. The position itself can be played by other people as shown by players such as Barrass and the Adelaide version of Lever. When you don't have a quality direct opponent to worry about it's a lot easier to take intercept marks.

He is still a quality player but not an irreplaceable one that's worth over 1 mil a year.

His only weakness is straight line speed against a true leading forward. Barrass has a similar problem.

Team defence protects him and allows him to attack the ball drop in a more unaccountable way.

One on one under a slower kick and he’s by far the best in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They LOVE him in the East, so outside of the fact that he is a great player, he does get a lot more ‘hype’ because of that.

One thing that may be ‘over rated’ is the position/role he plays...but it’s all down to the set up you play in I think. Some clubs would not get as much out of McGovern as WCE.

I actually think Barras has as much talent if not more ...gov reads the play better than most players I’ve seen

He’s a system player ....he plays well in our system

He’s worth 800k....not 1.2

I live in his home town where he first played .,.his family is here in Wa .,..I doubt he’ll leave

They LOVE him in the East, so outside of the fact that he is a great player, he does get a lot more ‘hype’ because of that.

One thing that may be ‘over rated’ is the position/role he plays...but it’s all down to the set up you play in I think. Some clubs would not get as much out of McGovern as WCE.
Agree

He plays well in our system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our players want to chase success then they as a collective have to accept a lesser contract.

speculation is that gov wants a longer term deal. For some reason WCE are offering 4, and he wants 5.

Tbh id be more gutted if gaff or lycett leave over gov.

If our players want to chase success then they as a collective have to accept a lesser contract.

speculation is that gov wants a longer term deal. For some reason WCE are offering 4, and he wants 5.

Tbh id be more gutted if gaff or lycett leave over gov.

We don’t lose many players traditionally

I reckon our players have higher earning capacity off field here in wa than the fish bowl of Melbourne

I actually think Barras has as much talent if not more ...gov reads the play better than most players I’ve seen

He’s a system player ....he plays well in our system

He’s worth 800k....not 1.2

I live in his home town where he first played .,.his family is here in Wa .,..I doubt he’ll leave

name a young family man who would turn down an exert $600k pa for 5 or so years. Thats and extra $3M to be homesick ever now and then

But I agree with others how limitations are well covered by our system and support players and he is exposed one on one and against a lead. His contested marks are asa third man up.

The media on fox love him so his value is escalated.

No, if anything he is underrated by this board with guys slamming him if he doesnt have a perfect game. Reckon he has had a couple of quiet games by his standards this year but has been very influential for the most part.
I reckon he played a fair game on the weekend too, took a ton of intercept marks (a couple of telling ones at the death when we were under siege) and repelled a fair few forward thrusts. Membrey kicked 6 from 6 shots and 2 of them were nothing to do with Gov (50m penalty and OOTF when he was nowhere near it). So effectively he conceded 4 shots on goal.

No, if anything he is underrated by this board with guys slamming him if he doesnt have a perfect game. Reckon he has had a couple of quiet games by his standards this year but has been very influential for the most part.
I reckon he played a fair game on the weekend too, took a ton of intercept marks (a couple of telling ones at the death when we were under siege) and repelled a fair few forward thrusts. Membrey kicked 6 from 6 shots and 2 of them were nothing to do with Gov (50m penalty and OOTF when he was nowhere near it). So effectively he conceded 4 shots on goal.

That's expected. His son was just born Tuesday 23rd so he'll lose a few zzz over the course of the year.

He was the main reason we played finals last year. We lost the inside 50 count nearly every game with opposition streaming through the midfield and it was our defenders getting us over the line.

He is a god

Remove this Banner Ad

Back