Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
Not sure what the stats are this year but there was a herald sun article at the end of last year stating in 2016-17, gov had lost around 6% of 1 on 1s! The next best was rance with 18% or so...

There is a common misconception that gov is just an interceptor. He is also a brilliant one on one defender and am stoked we can continue to build a defence around him for the next 5 years

And if you think he isn't worth the cash, just go watch last year's elimination final again

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A probable 3x AA KP defender at age 26 with elite marking, reading of the play and positioning who can also play CHF.

Considering his nearest rivals (Rance and Talia) are going to be one club players (contracts run out in 2021) there are zero replacements for him on the market.

How can such a player be overrated?

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure what the stats are this year but there was a herald sun article at the end of last year stating in 2016-17, gov had lost around 6% of 1 on 1s! The next best was rance with 18% or so...

There is a common misconception that gov is just an interceptor. He is also a brilliant one on one defender and am stoked we can continue to build a defence around him for the next 5 years

And if you think he isn't worth the cash, just go watch last year's elimination final again

I would be surprised if he is winning a lot of wrestling contests.

My guess is the reason he is so good 1v1 is actually his ability to the read the ball in flight better than most. It would also be that he rarely has to compete one out and usually has others fly in as well

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

My guess is the reason he is so good 1v1 is actually his ability to the read the ball in flight better than most. It would also be that he rarely has to compete one out and usually has others fly in as well

Don't let his physique fool you. He may look flabby and out of shape but he is plenty strong.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't let his physique fool you. He may look flabby and out of shape but he is plenty strong.

I made this comment in the other thread or this one

At 15 he had big arse ......lump of lad ...slow ....

I was watching him play colts (u-19) in Albany ....my home town ....I said to so,e blokesstanfimg in the bar

Gov will play AFL ONE DAY ....they all laughed ....takin the piss out of me .....yeah who’s laughing now....900k to 1 mil a season....at 15 he just read the play so beautifully

This will sound stupid but he’s got the best footy brain I’ve seen ....when to go when to stay ....and he has the most beautiful hands in the air and his kicking is not shabby

He’s very strong ....his dad Andrew (was quite short) and brother Mitch have good pedigree in them....

Hope he pumps out ...err his partner ...couple of lads so we can go father and son :eek::):)

Mico89

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
i don’t really think it’s unreasonable to question the media obsession with him

i agree our defensive work is a big part of why we’re 2nd, i just don’t think he deserves 100% of the credit. Hurn, Shepard and Duggan have been massive this year

Yes our backline has been brilliant but just don't agree with "Is McGovern overrated?" A player with such talent can't be overrated.

Gov is leading the league in contested marks I think. Guy is sneaky strong. He's got that farmer kind of strength - where they don't look like much but somehow seem to effortlessly move 44 gallon drums and hay bales and s**t around that would leave a gym-rat gasping.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Goalkickers, prime midfielders. They deserve the big $$$, not a defender FFS, especially one who looks like he's never had a weights session in his life. I'd offer him 800k x 5 (not 6) years. If he's not happy with that he should be invited to leave and we'll take the compo.
Ill forgive you your post because of your name.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Oh undoubtedly...i just feel he is a favourite son with the press, they love him as do commentators..I also think Barrass could fill his spot adequately, while Hurn, Sheppard, Cole do a complete job-not just intercept marking and tend to be underrated in comparison. But Gov has improved his all round game in recent matches.
This is in the context of his contract and him moving on. I don't want to see him go, but reckon Barrass would step up and fill his shoes.
(it doesn't make me feel better whether he's under or over-rated, staying or going..my view is still the same, there is life after Gov!)
*** wasn't aware he'd signed!! great news!
Barass couldnt polish his shoes!!.You are talking about a totally one sided player who doesnt like body contact.Hopefully he will improve but different league.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Barass couldnt polish his shoes!!.You are talking about a totally one sided player who doesnt like body contact.Hopefully he will improve but different league.
Was actually just thinking maybe we should still chase aliir and barrass would be a back up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Any chance Barrass goes to Freo?? Best mates with that flog Mcarthy, and has stated previously that when he and Gov play in the same team, he is the s**t kicker. Had his best game against GWS when Gov was out. Plus he’s not getting straight back into the team currently with Schofield doing ok.

I hope not, but just a thought I had yesterday after hearing the Gov news.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
really....

He is not overrated at all mate .... funny how we are still talking about this. You are criticizing a bloke that kills it every week and will be a 3 time AA.

delete pls

I'm still talking about this because you don't seem to understand what exactly this thread was about. If you actually read the OP you'd quite clearly see me say " I am in no way saying McGovern is a bad player, but I am suggesting that perhaps his worth is being inflated due to the structure of our back line".

When I made the post there were rumours of him going at amounts in the 1.5-2 million range. Would you pay that much for him? If he signed for $2.5 mill a year for 7 years would he be worth it? How about $100 million a year for 13 years? There's clearly a cut-off point and a reasonable price tag for each player, I was clearly trying to assess where that was. Most of the other posters seem to have understood that.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Any chance Barrass goes to Freo?? Best mates with that flog Mcarthy, and has stated previously that when he and Gov play in the same team, he is the s**t kicker. Had his best game against GWS when Gov was out. Plus he’s not getting straight back into the team currently with Schofield doing ok.

I hope not, but just a thought I had yesterday after hearing the Gov news.
I have certainly thought this too. But Freo are probably fine for KPD, unless they want to move Pearce forward

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
what exactly makes him immune?
CHB has been traditionally the most important position on football. It remains so today. McGovern is so good at it that he single handedly derails opposition strategies because no kick near him is safe from giving away clean posession via an intercept mark and subsequent rebound. Basically he's a wall whenever there's trajectory on a ball the opposition is sending forward. Its a horrible thing to try to counter.

No matter what the opposition do at some point they need to kick it within 20 m of his big mits. He's also strong as an ox and pretty good on the ground. Good tackler. Kicking out of defence can be iffy but its small change.

Last edited:

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm still talking about this because you don't seem to understand what exactly this thread was about. If you actually read the OP you'd quite clearly see me say " I am in no way saying McGovern is a bad player, but I am suggesting that perhaps his worth is being inflated due to the structure of our back line".

When I made the post there were rumours of him going at amounts in the 1.5-2 million range. Would you pay that much for him? If he signed for $2.5 mill a year for 7 years would he be worth it? How about $100 million a year for 13 years? There's clearly a cut-off point and a reasonable price tag for each player, I was clearly trying to assess where that was. Most of the other posters seem to have understood that.
Perhaps the title should read how much is too much for Gov? Not everyone reads a thread from the beginning. Is he over rated? Well he is the most dominant defender in the comp IMO so no he is not overrated- cant be if you are the best.
FWIW saying only a prime mid or forward is worth 1M plus is something I dont agree with. Gov probably stops as many goals as JK kicks or Martin sets up, its just impossible to accurate measure.
Freakish player who is irreplacable. Happy to pay 1M plus.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Yup, you'd think by some posts that Gov alone is responsible for stopping everything that hits the defensive zone and therefore responsible for winning us games..wow..21 other players and the coaching? there is a very good defence unit down back also. Gov is certainly not a bad player, he's a great player, and we have him for another 5 years...but no-one is irreplaceable is my point and god forbid if he copped a longterm injury, just watch the team adjust and move on, is all I'm saying (quite likely with Barrass, unless he moves on?)

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
This guy was so lucky we've had injuries so he could show us his skills. Our MC never had him ahead of Emac or MIich Brown. FFs he was even told to lose Kg or ever return to the club again. JK gets injured in 14, GOV kicks 10 in 4 games. His biggest break was 2015 when Emac and Miich brown were sidelined for a while so he took advantage of that and never looked back. I wonder how many Gov's we have in WAFL right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back