Analysis Is Melbourne in a proper crisis?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
No, not about coronavirus.

The footy club.

I get they’re a smaller club that don’t really get the headlines, but jeez.

Last year was obviously a complete disaster.

They went with the whole “hell and back” thing.

The signs this season aren’t much better though.

They’re 1 win from 4 games in a 17-round season. And that win was by a point.

There’s so much focus on Adelaide, but they at least kinda look like they’re rebuilding and are implementing a new coach’s plan. Melbourne clearly aren’t and I don’t think they even have a first round pick this year.

The key planks in their defence look very solid and Gawn is obviously a great player, but that aside... is there much to write home about in the midfield and forward line?

Richmond were shot with injuries in the last qtr and Melbourne at one stage kinda looked like challenging then... nothing.

You can write off one season, but what if they don’t turn it around this season? Was late 2018 just a flash in the pan?

What the bloody hell has happened?

Remind me of St Kilda under Richo trying to implement what the coach wants while killing any natural flair. The dees are just so bland when moving forwards and when inevitably they need goals to win they work incredibly hard for little return. Can't seem to buy easy goals. Also how many of the playing group seem to have gone backwards since Goodwin took over?

It's not looking good with the way things are going. I like Goodwin, but I feel that he's lucky his contract runs until 2022. We should be doing a lot better. It's rather pathetic that we haven't played a convincing game since 2018. Not confident at all that we can turn it around under our current regime. I hope I'm wrong.

First Crack on Fox Footy talked about them tonight for about 20 minutes. Since the 2018 Prelim, they have won something like 6 out of the last 26 and those wins coming against (Carlton x 2 ,Gold Coast, Freo, Hawthorn, Sydney). None of those wins were convincing either.

Teams have worked out Oliver, let him handball and he won't do any damage.
Brayshaw is half the player he is from the back end of 2018. What is his ideal position?
What is the point of keeping Nathan Jones and not playing him?
Viney. Absolute Bull at the football but disposal efficiency is major issue. Is he overated?
Pectracca has improved and started to show his potential. Big tick this season.
Weidman hasn't developed as they would have liked.
Too many passengers who are not up to it.
Lever (I know he has done his ACL twice but very one dimensional)
What has happened to Jetta?
Also they don't have a first round pick this season either.

If you go through their list, they should be so much better.
If this continues in the hub, then I would not be surprised if the Melbourne board give Ross Lyon or favourite son Adem Yze a call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately yes, the list isn’t perfect don’t get me wrong but it is under performing massively.

They need another key forward and they need more players with good foot skills/ X factor but they have more than enough to be a top 8 contender at least!

What on earth has Happened to Lever and May. McDonald is a shadow of what he was and Brayshaw looks like nothing more than a bog average player.

I said it when they re-signed Goodwin early it was stupid, no one was going to poach him. Now they have to decide they either have a terrible list and need to start over or the coach is the issue and pay him our during a massively hard time financially.

They are ruining Oliver, kid was tracking to be a great. Genuinly thought at the end of 2018 he was going to be a top 5 midfielder by the end of 2021.

Only players they have who are good are Gawn, Trac & Oliver.

WTF is with with their defence, it's putrid and they have May, Lever, Jetta, Salem, Hibberd etc - On paper it looks fantastic.

I think it’s a Goodwin issue presently. I still think last year was heavily influenced by the injuries. But we have failed to come up with any meaningful game plan. Particularly going forward. And many players especially Oliver is playing like a player bereft of confidence. Whilst we haven’t been too bad defensively we are absolutely wasting Lever. He needs to be released to actually intercept.
Up forward? What a shambles. If we insist on playing a bombing in long brand then play another key forward.
There is talent in this list and it’s currently being wasted. Guarantee Ross Lyon would have us playing finals.

It's football's biggest mystery at the moment. The weirdest thing about Melbourne's fall is that they've literally had no impressive wins since the 2018 SF.
All of Melbourne's improvement over the years completely vanished. With such a talented list, something is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back