Is Nat Fyfe in trouble for this incident?

Remove this Banner Ad

Caddy got done for less
Big deal about Caddy and your club.
Put that on your club board.
Why do people post club stuff on the main board?
We seriously need a football forum like the bay has but opposite,talk about your own club and your banned.
Why do trolls and biased losers get a forum ahead of footy fans?

No issue with the ban. But the adjudication here is so inconsistent - but it doesn't help that the rules themselves are stuffed.

If the sport wants to protect the head - and it does, get rid of the impact aspect of the rules. It was either intentional, careless/reckless or an accident. We probably don't want accidents to result in suspension (not suggesting that Fyfe's was an accident btw), but both intentional and careless should receive punishment.

As it stands, the results of the mrp and tribunal can only be a circus.

1. Freo are not on track for the flag so it doesn't matter if Fyfe misses a game
2. It doesn't matter who wins the Brownlow
3. Tribunal decisions are so inconsistent and weird that the individual merits of any one case are barely worth considering

Big deal about Caddy and your club.
Put that on your club board.
Why do people post club stuff on the main board?
We seriously need a football forum like the bay has but opposite,talk about your own club and your banned.
Why do trolls and biased losers get a forum ahead of footy fans?
Seriously?? :rolleyes: It’s called a discussion and many other comparisons have been raised. Ban them too??? Wow

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone is suprised by the decision.

1. It wasn’t a ‘split second’
2. When Greenwood tapped the ball it was well past the players before he was struck by Fyfe
3. Fyfe elected to jump in the air AFTER Greenwood had tapped the ball on.
4. Fyfe pushes his forearm/elbow out away from his body towards Hrennwood’s head.

His intention was to hurt. Fortunately for him, Greenwood is a tough bastard. Any other player and the penalty would have been more severe.

I suppose he deserves a week as punishment for all the 'almosts' he has had this year- if you consider it a punishment for the cumulative transgressions over the season then the week is a fair cop.

The incident itself was stupid more than anything- the act of a frustrated player.

It wasn't reckless, it was just bloody stupid- chose to give Greenwood a cheeky little elbow.

Not much force- but stupid!

Not sure why anyone is suprised by the decision.

1. It wasn’t a ‘split second’
2. When Greenwood tapped the ball it was well past the players before he was struck by Fyfe
3. Fyfe elected to jump in the air AFTER Greenwood had tapped the ball on.
4. Fyfe pushes his forearm/elbow out away from his body towards Hrennwood’s head.

His intention was to hurt. Fortunately for him, Greenwood is a tough bastard. Any other player and the penalty would have been more severe.

I think the highlight was the AFL counsel pointing out that to be careless you have to consider whether he would have done exactly what he did if it were a Freo player in front of him.

Would he have jumped in the air and led with his forearms, or would he have turned sideways and kept low and tried to minimise impact?

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/is-tom-mitchell-in-trouble-for-this-bc-5774646717001

In isolation I’ve got no issue with it.

How does Mitchell get off?

Take a couple of steps, throw an elbow at a guy behind play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt think Mitchell should have been suspended either. People act like he threw a cowards punch, to me he goes to hit him with his forearm in shoulder and slips high and barely collects his head.

The level of force in the Mitchell incident is almost non existent. Goldstein barely reacts, keeps running, not even sure he looks back.

If Mitchell had finished first in the Brownlow and missed for that people would be complaining that he shouldnt miss a brownlow for such a small incident in the first place.

Can't win, no pleasing everyone.

In saying that, definitely more force in Fyfe's hit but at the same time, surely this can't be seen as intentional and "striking", if he wanted to strike someone do you think he would have jumped in the air and looked away?

Edit:
Last year Cotchin flat out jumper punches a guy and gets away with careless because he is not looking at him...

I posted something similar back in the NicNat thread, i for one dont want to see players missing weeks of playing footy for any team for these soft technical rubbish incidents, fine them OK, second occurrence double fine, but missing weeks should only be reserved for severe incidents, and clearly players missing weeks for these soft technical debatable incidents just confuses everyone.

I think the highlight was the AFL counsel pointing out that to be careless you have to consider whether he would have done exactly what he did if it were a Freo player in front of him.

Would he have jumped in the air and led with his forearms, or would he have turned sideways and kept low and tried to minimise impact?
If it was a teammate he wouldn’t of needed to contest the ball

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha oh god. this post is too much.

note to all tribunal cases going forward. Let them know you've called the player to check he's ok.
It is called remorse. Fake it til you make it so to speak. He obviously doesn't care, but if he doesn't at least pretend, then it will be remembered by some.

First player I've seen for a long time who got found guilty, who never apologised for his actions... or even mentioned he's glad Greenwood is OK.

Or I've rang Greenwood.... or text him... to check if he's ok.

Selfish Self centred w***er, who is skilful as any, until he's clumsy when it comes to cheap shots.

Get someone else to feed you grapes Sniper. Thank god the AFL has seen you for what you are.

1 week was enough.

Sniper

Why the hell would he call or text or whatever, its a contact sport accidental contact will happen, Greenwood wasnt stretchered off or ushered off the gorund in the hands of trainers, he bounced up and continued playing..

Its because of people like you no scoring or tackling in the junior ranks or football was introduced.....

The precedent is within the contest, there is no need to compare with other events.

Greenwood chose to get his arm down, stay grounded, and avoided high contact with Fyfe.

Fyfe chose to make high contact, raise an arm and leave the ground.

The actions of Greenwood to win the contest, protect himself from reasonable, expected contact and act in a manner demonstrating reasonable duty of care towards Fyfe resulted in no illegal action.

The actions of Fyfe, who did not win the contest and acted in an unreasonable manner to protect himself by leaping with a raised arm, did not demonstrate an acceptable duty of care within the laws of the game.

Always a report under the current system and always demonstratably false that he had no other options when a player in the same contest chose other options.

Don't know how anyone could argue against it. His elbow was up, he left the ground, there was high contact. That's text book suspension. Once the feet leave the ground, you're toast. We can't live in a world where that gets off and NN gets suspended for a tackle.

But you'd be pissed if he was meant to win it, but Mitchell got it instead. Guy should have been suspended too for that Goldstein incident. No idea how he got off. Like wtf how?

Last edited:
What Netball team do you follow?
I guess my kids Auskick sides going to be short next week then, if you think a player (any player) could potentially miss a grand final over that then I give up, pay a free kick FFS but to miss a week? Unbelievable.

What game were you watching?

Left the ground and elbowed a bloke in the head. Not the first time he's done either. One week minimum lucky not to be two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back