Is Nick Daicos The Best First Year Player Of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In his first year John Todd won the sandover medal beating some ruckman called Farmer, by 4 votes. Tore his ACL a few games into the next season and we never got to see how good he was going to be.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
1st Walsh then Daicos now Sheezel and Ashcroft, next year maybe Reid.

These kids are insane

True but the game it is played today allows kids to flourish from a very early age.
That's great for the sport but I am confident Nick would not have had the same luxury in the 90's or later on. He would have been poorly targeted by the opposition. Picked off behind the ball or copped unnecessary treatment.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
True but the game it is played today allows kids to flourish from a very early age.
That's great for the sport but I am confident Nick would not have had the same luxury in the 90's or later on. He would have been poorly targeted by the opposition. Picked off behind the ball or copped unnecessary treatment.
The AFL has done a great job in getting most of that stuff out of the game against some fairly strong opposition.

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing I noticed about Diacos is he takes calculated risks like running around the mark and banging a goal home which used to be in footy every game in the 90s and early 2000s, he is doing nothing crazy a lot of players have the same ability as he has but he just backs himself and goes for it, it just so rare to see players particular midfielders to bang it on the run these days.

I feel like that type of play has been coached out of players to play the safe game, it's nice to see it back in the AFL.

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apparently didn't go down too well and I was told that's because Nick plays half back and gets easier kicks

Putting Nick permantley in the guts a pure contested mid like Mitchell, would be akin to buying a Ferrari FXX K Evo, but just using it to go down to Bunnings on the weekend with a trailer.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Putting Nick permantley in the guts a pure contested mid like Mitchell, would be akin to buying a Ferrari FXX K Evo, but just using it to go down to Bunnings on the weekend with a trailer.
Exactly.

How were the two differing perspectives when Mitchell was recruited?

Option A: He's a washed up stat padder and won't suit Collingwood's game style.

Option B: How good will he be working with Adams and co, feeding it out to the likes of Naicos, Jaicos, Sidebottom et Al.

Option B seems to be working pretty well thus far...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back