Is Nick Daicos The Best First Year Player Of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, you cant go past Rowell, people dismiss because he played only four matches - and he played for Gold Coast, but he was clearly GC's best player only a month in. Not a case of player x starring on debut because nobody knew his flaws.
I remember hearing something, I could be wrong , perhaps from Wayne Carey saying that Rowell and Daicos played First 18 football together at Carey and that Daicos was every bit as good if not better then Rowell in that team being 2 years younger, the year Rowell went pick 1.

I remember hearing something, I could be wrong , perhaps from Wayne Carey saying that Rowell and Daicos played First 18 football together at Carey and that Daicos was every bit as good if not better then Rowell in that team being 2 years younger, the year Rowell went pick 1.

It was Buckley I believe who said it.

Carey is clearly off his chops. Rowell underage year was superb but in particular his grand final game where he played one of the best games I’ve seen from a draftee.

A young footballer could be the best first year player of all time - not necessarily Daicos - just a mythical young player could be the greatest ever.
But the folks on Big Footy would never admit to it.

John Coleman version 2.0 could be selected in the 2025 National Draft, kick 60 goals and win the Coleman Medal in his first season
However, there would still be nay-sayers on here who reckon he is overrated.

People on Big Footy and footy fans in general can never set aside their parochialism, set aside their jealousy and give proper credit to opposition stars.

Things would be different if our game was international and the game's superstars got to strut their stuff on the global stage and maybe win a World Cup for Australia. But for better or worse, all we have is our domestic comp with it's built in rivalries; the fawning biased media; and never-ending shitfights between all fans.

Last edited:
A young footballer could be the best first year player of all time - not necessarily Daicos - just a mythical young player could be the greatest ever.

John Coleman version 2.0 could be selected in the 2025 National Draft, kick 60 goals and win the Coleman Medal in his first season

People on Big Footy and footy fans in general can never set aside their parochialism, set aside their jealousy and give proper credit to opposition stars.

Things would be different if our game was international and the game's superstars got to strut their stuff on the global stage and maybe win a World Cup for Australia. But for better or worse, all we have is our domestic comp with it's built in rivalries; the fawning biased media; and never-ending shitfights between all fans.
Excellent post. But you have to admit that the shitfights are kinda fun, BigFooty likely wouldn't exist without them.

I seem to recall Danyle Pearce winning the rising star in 2006 and everyone was saying the same thing back then. Its all just down to your opinion

I seem to recall Danyle Pearce winning the rising star in 2006 and everyone was saying the same thing back then. Its all just down to your opinion

He wasnt a 1st year player in 2006. Maybe best Rising Star ever. But the Rising Star hasnt been around forever. We can look at 1st year players across the history of the game.

To all the Juddites, how is it that the best ever first season (lets just say in the AFL era to avoid everyone quoting Coleman stats despite never having seen him), how is it that this standout season, best first year player in the last 30 years or so, didn't win a single Brownlow vote, and also didn't even win the rising star? Methinks you're combing his first 2-3 in your booze addled memories and thinking they were all the same year, otherwise it's a pretty questionable argument. Dude wasn't even best first year player in his own first year let alone better than everyone before and after.

I'm sure there'd be some, but if we had a whole year's form and statistics to look at, it would be far more likely to receive support. Not just that, but you need a bit of time to pass to avoid recency bias and consider things more objectively. If anything, looking at the first couple of pages showed just how many players had great first seasons, some of which were largely forgotten because they didn't go on to become genuine superstars of the game. I had no idea Paul Haselby had such a strong and immediate start to his career, certainly looks better stats-wise than Daicos, as does Chris Grant, and that's before we get into guys like Hudson and co. whom most of us have never seen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is in the question...and the term "of all time"... which means all football all the way back to 1897.
Which does includes Coleman's 1st year in which he kicked a ton regardless of age and level of football back then which can't he held against Coleman it was just the era he played in.
The Daicos kid is having a very good 1st season but he's not alone as many young players have had excellent 1st seasons and not really kicked on.
Is he the best 1st year player of all time....only time will tell.

Serge & Stephen are glaring omissions
there are plenty competing for top 5 and Serge and Stephen are in the conversation for sure, who would you take out? Others i thought about were the Vineys, who would win the hardest father son competition (only 1 GF between them though and no Brownlows), the Mitchells, the Hawkins, Libbas?

Nice urban myth, but untrue.

Not an urban myth, It was the opinion of Matt Rendell.

Matt Rendell has identified a Collingwood father/son prospect as one of the very best junior players he has laid eyes on.

The Magpies’ assistant recruiting manager says Nick Daicos, the son of club legend Peter and brother of current Pie Josh, will potentially go at pick 1 in the 2021 draft and is a player the black and white faithful can certainly get excited about.

Rendell says Daicos Jnr ran around with Gold Coast Suns pair Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson in school footy and wasn’t too far off the elite juniors despite being a couple of years below the pair who went pick 1 and 2 respectively in 2019.

“Nick Daicos is father/son for Collingwood next year,” Rendell told Dwayne Russell on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“He’s as good a junior as I’ve seen play the game.”

Russell replied: “Hang on, so the younger son of the great Daicos is the best player you’ve seen come through?”

To which Rendell said: “He’s right up there.

“He played with Rowell and Anderson for Carey at school and more than held his own and that’s two years younger than them.

“He is a really good player. He is taller though, he can mark the ball and tends to play more midfield. He’s taller than his brother Josh.

“I would say right here, right now that he goes number one but it is a cracking top 10 next year in the 2021 (draft).

“I’d say number one but if he’s not in the top three I’ll give the game away. That’s something for the Collingwood people to look forward to.

“Look, Collingwood aren’t going to get away for having to pay a price for him. Someone will bid in the top five surely. They know that. You can’t hide him anywhere, he’s too good a player.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back