Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given myself a few days to think about it. I’ve decided to change the thread to “Is North passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Dogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin”. I think Phillips has the chance to be a future captain, AA and best and fairest winner just like Griffin was. But I think long term passing on McDonald could be the difference between being a good side and a Premiership side. Players like McDonald are very rare while inside mids like Phillips are a lot easier to find.
North also already have a good list of midfielders. They are desperate for a #1 KPF.

Last edited:

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
North are screaming out for good quality inside midfielders. They do need good forwards but this desperately fills a bigger need. So, no.
You don't draft for the now though.

You trade for the now and draft for the next 10-15 years.

If you desperately need someone on the inside now you trade peanuts for a Luke Dunstan, who can get you 10 CP's, 5 or 6 clearances and a handful of tackles a game, to plug that gap in the short term.

This looks like the biggest drafting blunder since we picked McCartin over Petracca, or Carlton sold the farm for Stoker, but time will tell.

Not to say Phillips won't be good though.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Absolutely.

Cya in 15 years. Logan will kick 500+ goals

Logan with a slight frame and looking like a boy against men was a huge reason why Perth went from a shithouse club to a genuine threat come finals, I dont think i've seen a 17 year old play as consistent in WAFL. He looked like he belonged as soon as he ran out. Its absolutely rare for the WAFL to have teenagers play such a big part in teams seasons (Covid really means clubs did blood some players like our bloke, Heath Chapman, Young at Claremont to showcase them. Last player i can think of is Stephen Coniglio at GWS when he was given a pretty big role in Swan Districts. None of them had as bigger influence on their team then Logan

Nothing against who North Picked. I thought Logan is as good as any young big, And it hurts to see him play for Sydney

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watched his stock rise and rise last year and knew the Pies were out of the picture. Another Collingwood supporting KPF thats guna tear us a new one for over a decade

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched his stock rise and rise last year and knew the Pies were out of the picture. Another Collingwood supporting KPF thats guna tear us a new one for over a decade

Can't you just be happy for McDonald that we have pulled him out of a potential life of drugs, crime and missing teeth?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pockets75

Cancelled
SuperCoach Div 8-10 Winner 2021
Mar 6, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Hard to say at this early stage. I heard Buddy's draft interview didn't go very well with Richmond.

I find it ironic that a Footscray supporter started this thread being that the Doggies also passed on Buddy. Obviously Griffin turned out to be a much better player than Tambling.

You don't think Melbourne passing twice on Dustin Martin isn't up there with the biggest blunder of all?

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When it comes to all-time draft blunders, Melbourne don't get the credit they deserve for the 2009 catastrophe.

1. Melbourne: Tom Scully... a mediocre mercenary who took the big coin on offer from the Giants after just 2 years at Dees-land
2. Melbourne: Jack Trengove... played 86 games, but never reached his full potential due to a nagging foot injury
3. Richmond: Dustin Martin... one of the greatest players of the modern era who has led the Tigers to 3 flags

Scully and Trengove were better than timid Tambling... but fancy having 2 chances to pick Dusty and not taking them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back