Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't a trolling comment but I thought that was based on what Hawthorn thought he was worth being in excess of what Sydney thought he was worth?

People have different opinions, but I have never seen anything confirmed on why he left. But I think a desire to be in Melbourne was at least part of it.

Given myself a few days to think about it. I’ve decided to change the thread to “Is North passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Dogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin”. I think Phillips has the chance to be a future captain, AA and best and fairest winner just like Griffin was. But I think long term passing on McDonald could be the difference between being a good side and a Premiership side. Players like McDonald are very rare while inside mids like Phillips are a lot easier to find.
North also already have a good list of midfielders. They are desperate for a #1 KPF.
tenor.gif

Given myself a few days to think about it. I’ve decided to change the thread to “Is North passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Dogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin”. I think Phillips has the chance to be a future captain, AA and best and fairest winner just like Griffin was. But I think long term passing on McDonald could be the difference between being a good side and a Premiership side. Players like McDonald are very rare while inside mids like Phillips are a lot easier to find.
North also already have a good list of midfielders. They are desperate for a #1 KPF.

Still can't believe you passed on Logan for Jamara...

Could be worse, they could have been complete dicks and unprofessional to Andrew Mcleod or Matthew Lloyd while trying to recruit them......
Like my club.

Could be worse, they could have been complete dicks and unprofessional to Andrew Mcleod or Matthew Lloyd while trying to recruit them......
Like my club.
Yeah but you scored Chris Groom, Tony Delaney and Todd Ridley.

Still can't believe you passed on Logan for Jamara...
Not sure if you are aware. But we actually never had the chance to draft McDonald. We finished in the top 8. And managed to snare Jamarra due to him being in our academy. And for us to get him we had to match a bid that Adelaide put in at pick 1. Would have loved McDonald. But very happy with Jamarra as a consolation prize. Fingers crossed he will be half as good as McDonald.

Yeah but you scored Chris Groom, Tony Delaney and Todd Ridley.
I kid you not, I grew up and am living in a house 5 down and one street over from the Delaney household, used to see Tony often and he kicked around with my younger cousin a fair bit.
I enjoyed watching Todd Ridley in his years at Claremont and I don't think he was too bad a player.

Your point does stand though.

I guess it would be classified as a back pedal if he actually had made his debut and played a good game. I’ve just made the edit to give the kid a chance. Upon reflection, He doesn’t deserve to he compared to Tambling.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are aware. But we actually never had the chance to draft McDonald. We finished in the top 8. And managed to snare Jamarra due to him being in our academy. And for us to get him we had to match a bid that Adelaide put in at pick 1. Would have loved McDonald. But very happy with Jamarra as a consolation prize. Fingers crossed he will be half as good as McDonald.

1617166713802.png

I kid you not, I grew up and am living in a house 5 down and one street over from the Delaney household, used to see Tony often and he kicked around with my younger cousin a fair bit.
I enjoyed watching Todd Ridley in his years at Claremont and I don't think he was too bad a player.

Your point does stand though.
It's always easy to knock those decisions with the benefit of hindsight. Fremantle just seemed to make some shockers. Those players were probably great options at the time and they had no idea what McLeod or Lloyd would become. There's no guarantee they would've selected Lloyd at number 4. But for Newsham to trade McLeod because he thought he had an attitude problem is not a great call.

The Swans sold Wayne Carey and John Longmire to North for $10,000. Gave up the greatest player of all time and a Coleman medallist for peanuts. Our first round draft choices have also been generally ordinary. We got most of our hits with late picks, trades and rookie selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mathew Lloyd ????
FFS not this urban legend again...,get your facts right at least before you try troll your own club
Not trolling my own club, more saying that all clubs * up from time to time when drafting/recruiting.
Yes I'm well aware that Lloyd was never a realistic chance of joining the Dockers anyway, but from what I've heard he wasn't treated very professionally.
To be fair, it was early days at the club and they basically had nothing in the way of facilities et al.

Anyone talking down Phillips clearly did not see his highlights package. He is a clearance machine.
For a top 3 pick you’d hope he would at the very least he a clearance machine.

Given myself a few days to think about it. I’ve decided to change the thread to “Is North passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Dogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin”. I think Phillips has the chance to be a future captain, AA and best and fairest winner just like Griffin was. But I think long term passing on McDonald could be the difference between being a good side and a Premiership side.

The first couple of picks rarely ever has been the best player in draft pool, it is most likely we passed on someone who will be better than Phillips. The value of a high end pick is to get a high probability of a top end talent and a potential marquee player, it is in essence a risk averse position.

KPP and Ruckmen due to them needing to significantly alter their body shape from junior level has a high element of risk associated with it. It is still a bit early to tell from the last few drafts, but in 2015 Weitering and Schache went #1 and 2, Saints took McCartin #1 in 2014, Boyd went #1 in 2013, Patton #1 in 2011, Day #3 in 2010, Watts #1 in 2008. Naitanui probably the best quality big man gone in the first couple of picks to date. Kreuzer #1 in 2007, Gumbleton, Hansen and Leuenberger 2, 3 and 4 in 2006. Everyone hopes to get the next Buddy, almost everyone has been left disappointed though.

Players like McDonald are very rare while inside mids like Phillips are a lot easier to find.

Mids are a dime a dozen, elite level mids are not.

We do have a promising group of young mids, but the reality is that not everyone is going to make it to an elite level. We are likely to finish near the bottom again this year and the top end of the talent seems to be more classy mids with players like Horne and Sinn early contenders so I would expect us to add another quality mid to the side this year and the club would have had a good idea about the strength of this group at the last draft.

I remember when we recruited Cunnington and Ziebell, the top teams were playing a heavy stoppage brand of football, as the years passed the game evolved to be quicker with attributes like speed, endurance and good ball skills at a premium, not just in terms of having a few individuals but a growing team-wide trend. I think those that rebuild and do well kind of read the tea leaves in terms of where the game is going rather than live in the present. Perhaps they get it wrong, perhaps the game shifts in a direction we didn't see. It seems there is a definite strategy involved in terms of the players let go and the type of players recruited.

We wont know for some time if the direction the club decided to go down was prudent or not.

Phillips will be a good player - that's not what is being argued here. What is being argued is, why pick a very good mid with your first pick, when you then take another very good mid in Powell 8 picks later, and add another decent mid in Lazzaro later on in the draft...when you literally have no forwards at all right now?

You trade out Ben Brown, Comben is perennially injured, Goldy will retire in the next couple of years, Larkey is decent but can't hold a forward line down himself, and Walker is decent as a defender - but was never a good forward.

Your forward line at the moment, is basically Larkey, Walker, Zurhaar, Thomas, Mahoney, Stephenson and Turner. Maybe Garner whenever he's fit, but you're operating on scraps at the moment, and it's pretty much dysfunctional when it comes out of the midfield.

Compare that to your midfield for at least the next few years, in Anderson, Simpkin, LDU, Cunnington, Phillips, Powell, Lazzaro, Dumont, Polec and Hall.

But let's say your management team knew you'd finish Bottom 2 again this year, give you're rebuilding - that's a definite factor. There's only one problem though...the top end of the draft is all mids this year. If you were looking at rebuilding properly, well you have no chance at getting a key forward as good as McDonald this year, because there are none in this draft that are on that same 'generational' level.

Phillips again will be probably be a very good player, but structurally, your pick is going to be in the range of a mid this year, so you could have just gotten someone as good as Phillips to fill that role, and gotten a generational key forward in McDonald. It just makes no sense at all, and is seriously baffling to a lot of us (even North supporters too), who just can't see why your board and recruitment team would pass up such a golden opportunity to secure a key pillar for their rebuild.

It's not about Phillips, it's about a baffling decision by your recruiting staff, that a lot of us just cannot make sense of - hence the thread.
It might just be about Phillips. The recruitment team may have decided he is a generational mid. There is something about him.

Brown isn't playing right now. Dunno when he'll be back, the Dees board reckons VFL r1. ie 17/4. That means he misses six rounds of footy at least. His knee condition is degenerative apparently. So this was always gonna happen at some point, hopefully not yet but it isn't looking good. He's played one game since late July last year and that was for about 10 minutes.

Maybe the recruitment team don't rate Logan McDonald. Who knows? Mason Wood kicked three goals in his first game iirc. I think Aaron Black did too, then next season (played one or two games that year) he kicked 18 goals in 8 games. "Who were they?" you ask...

Exactly.

(Tho you should know who Black is.)

I'm sure all of us on BF could do a better job anyway. Professional recruiters bah ... even if they are aware of stuff we aren't aware of.

I watched L McDonald play a couple of WAFL games live and really liked the way he played , he has a very versatile style and gets his goals in different ways. I don’t think he’s a genuine tall target style of fwd but more of a versatile finisher

10/10 on the eye test for a young player for sure , so I was definitely in the Roos have stuffed it camp. Then I watched young Tom Powell play with such poise and vision and was very impressed so if Phillips is a better player than him you would be VERY happy

I know the Roos have gone very analytical with their drafting so Im not so sure now

Will be an interesting storyline to follow

Give me a break with the old ‘ it’s 2 games FFS ‘ sooking though , what the hell is BF for if it’s not footy chat and opposition team needling

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Powell has been impressive. Hard to say Phillips is better, they are similar players - great vision and handball, but Powell can hang outsde a contest a bit more. Phillips is a pure ball getter. They are actually very complementary players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back