Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the current young key forward prospects drafted in the top 10, I'm probably most unsure on Logan McDonald.

He was barely on anyone's radar in 2019 and then bang - big WAFL season out of nowhere launching him into top 2 draft contention when COVID hit the rest of the country in 2020.

Was it just a freak one-off season though where everything fell into place for him? I need to see more.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen. If you're ******* up finding a star mid with an early pick you are doing it wrong. They are the safest and easiest talents to spot. Most quality mids will be up and going dominating the comp by year 3.
Most inside mids take a fair while to be inside mids- similar to KPPs. They just play seniors earlier than KPPs because they can often play other roles before they develop the body to be insiders.

Of all the current young key forward prospects drafted in the top 10, I'm probably most unsure on Logan McDonald.

He was barely on anyone's radar in 2019 and then bang - big WAFL season out of nowhere launching him into top 2 draft contention when COVID hit the rest of the country in 2020.

Was it just a freak one-off season though where everything fell into place for him? I need to see more.

He's certainly been underwhelming thus far.

I do wonder if Sydney isn't the best team for him to be developing at. I have no doubt he would thrive if he joined them as the finished product, but in terms of developing, I'm not sure extending was his best option.

Gifted? Each year?

Which Academy top ten selection did we take in the most recent draft, out of interest?

Last year was the first in years, but don’t forget Heeney (pick 18 and created the bidding rules as he would have been top 5), mills, Blakey (f/s or academy and chose academy), Campbell, gulden (doesnt count as he wasn’t picked until pick 30ish).
The rebuild would have taken a couple more years without some of those players and heeneys now one of your best players

Last year was the first in years, but don’t forget Heeney (pick 18 and created the bidding rules as he would have been top 5), mills, Blakey (f/s or academy and chose academy), Campbell, gulden (doesnt count as he wasn’t picked until pick 30ish).
The rebuild would have taken a couple more years without some of those players and heeneys now one of your best players

In years?

Stephens in 2019, no top ten pick in 2017, Florent in 2016 (also not a top 10 pick).

So really it's a couple of players over the last 8 years. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell. Not a top 10 pick every season. We also developed those players and put the time into them so who knows if they'd have been that highly regarded otherwise.

In years?

Stephens in 2019, no top ten pick in 2017, Florent in 2016 (also not a top 10 pick).

So really it's a couple of players over the last 8 years. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Campbell. Not a top 10 pick every season. We also developed those players and put the time into them so who knows if they'd have been that highly regarded otherwise.
That’s still 4 top quality players who the club was gifted through the academy, and they have all had a role in getting them back up the ladder after only two years of resetting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s still 4 top quality players who the club was gifted through the academy, and they have all had a role in getting them back up the ladder after only two years of resetting

Ok, but it still means last year wasn't the first time 'in years' that we haven't had a top 10 pick gifted as part of the Academy. Basically half our picks, if not more, in the last decade haven't been.

4 top quality players who, again, we developed and put the time into. If people really want to complain and ditch the Academies then it's not as if other clubs are picking up those players at the same quality.

How about clubs who are 'gifted' top 10/top 2 father-son picks like the Pies? How's Tarryn Thomas going for you?

Ok, but it still means last year wasn't the first time 'in years' that we haven't had a top 10 pick gifted as part of the Academy. Basically half our picks, if not more, in the last decade haven't been.

4 top quality players who, again, we developed and put the time into. If people really want to complain and ditch the Academies then it's not as if other clubs are picking up those players at the same quality.

How about clubs who are 'gifted' top 10/top 2 father-son picks like the Pies? How's Tarryn Thomas going for you?
Having your academy picks is the equivalent of a sa/wa club having first preference of the best sanfl/wafl juniors every year, your argument is invalid when Heeney was looked at as a top 5 player in an open draft and mills was top 3 in his draft year, those father son players have no ties to the club before they are drafted too, Tarryn Thomas is going great actually, kicked a bomb from 80 on the weekend and had a great end to last season. That’s one academy player we have had compared to the amount you have had.

Tarryn Thomas would be at Adelaide under current rules.

We also missed out on a "gifted" top 10 father-son ourselves due to Northern Academy rules.

We also missed out on a "gifted" top 10 father-son ourselves due to Northern Academy rules.

But you got him under those rules? And haven't they changed the Academy rule now to the set up everyone was happy with?

You missed out on him because he chose us.

Those examples you cite probably add greater weight to North's potential request for a Priority Pick, especially if your club has never had one before.

Having your academy picks is the equivalent of a sa/wa club having first preference of the best sanfl/wafl juniors every year, your argument is invalid when Heeney was looked at as a top 5 player in an open draft and mills was top 3 in his draft year, those father son players have no ties to the club before they are drafted too, Tarryn Thomas is going great actually, kicked a bomb from 80 on the weekend and had a great end to last season. That’s one academy player we have had compared to the amount you have had.
Overall, how many NSW players were picked in comparison to WA/SA players in the respective drafts?

He's certainly been underwhelming thus far.

I do wonder if Sydney isn't the best team for him to be developing at. I have no doubt he would thrive if he joined them as the finished product, but in terms of developing, I'm not sure extending was his best option.
The Swans coaches really rate him. Said his determination and drive is second to none.

In saying that, second year key forwards rarely set the world on fire.

Am I the only one who doesn't see much in this kid? Saw him play a great game in the VFL against us last year but every time I see him at AFL level he seems miles off it. His agent is a moron for declining the 10 year contract

Unless something has changed I meant that we fund the academy entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Entirely? No they don't.

Sponsors fund the academy. The Swans provide in kind assistance with players and coaches who are funded by AFL distributions.

And it would not matter who the club was or what color strip they wore those NSW sponsors would sponsor any AFL academy, no matter the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back