Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But you got him under those rules? And haven't they changed the Academy rule now to the set up everyone was happy with?

You missed out on him because he chose us.

No, they have changed the NGA Rules.

Not all the Academy rules.

They shafted the rest of the competition and left the Northern Academy rules as is.

My argument is, if if Northern Academy rules were subject to the same changes as NGA, in your example of Blakey, he would probably be at North or Brisbane. He would have been unavailable to Sydney.

Just as Thomas would be at Adelaide now.

Only one of those events have changed.

History looks like repeating itself with John Longmires son this year. Excellent of Sydney to ensure that another son of an AFL coach isn't lost to AFL football.

No, they have changed the NGA Rules.

Not all the Academy rules.

They shafted the rest of the competition and left the Northern Academy rules as is.

My argument is, if if Northern Academy rules were subject to the same changes as NGA, in your example of Blakey, he would probably be at North or Brisbane. He would have been unavailable to Sydney.

Just as Thomas would be at Adelaide now.

Only one of those events have changed.

History looks like repeating itself with John Longmires son this year. Excellent of Sydney to ensure that another son of an AFL coach isn't lost to AFL football.

I don't think it needs to be same as NGA, just that you need to bid and match the points value of the bid pick. Like with F/S.

Your last sentence is just hysterical nonsense when I was referring to players like Heeney, Mills and Gulden, not Blakey.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
I know it's fun to speculate in threads like this but we won't know for another 3 or 4 years. KPP's take time and Phillips missed a lot of footy due to covid and now has glandular fever. Give them a fair run at it and re-evaluate down the line. This thread title is all wrong anyway. If we weren't taking Phillips, we should have taken DGB to sort out our defence long term.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I know it's fun to speculate in threads like this but we won't know for another 3 or 4 years. KPP's take time and Phillips missed a lot of footy due to covid and now has glandular fever. Give them a fair run at it and re-evaluate down the line. This thread title is all wrong anyway. If we weren't taking Phillips, we should have taken DGB to sort out our defence long term.

Wouldn't sweat about it too much BK, although I do think you are probably right about DGB (although no one at North would have foreseen Tarrant leaving after 2021)

Larkey was a ready made KPF gun who was taken at pick #73 in the national draft. Where does NMFC get the credit and praise for that, the best draft bargain in years (least from from a KPF perspective)

Despite the age difference, I would take Larkey over McDonald right now if I wanted a gun KPF for my club.

Am I the only one who doesn't see much in this kid? Saw him play a great game in the VFL against us last year but every time I see him at AFL level he seems miles off it. His agent is a moron for declining the 10 year contract
I'm a skeptic. Not sure what the elite traits are.

Screenshot_20220330-182602_AFL.jpg

Didn't see it with this kid pre-draft and haven't seen much to change my mind. Ends up a decent AFL player but no star for mine.
Yep. I struggle to see what the fuss is regarding McDonald. Just looks like your standard young tall to me without anything particularly exceptional going for him.

Harder to get into a good team. No risk of being dropped had he been playing for North

No risk as he wouldn't get in the side which is why we didn't draft him.

VernonSpots

Senior List
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A WA club reportedly tabled a 10 year contract to him

If they did...I am guessing it's type of contract which is a bad deal for player if he turns out to be a gun (ie potentially underpaid over the LT journey). Good on him for backing himself and earning higher pay deals over time.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
When it comes to all-time draft blunders, Melbourne don't get the credit they deserve for the 2009 catastrophe.

1. Melbourne: Tom Scully... a mediocre mercenary who took the big coin on offer from the Giants after just 2 years at Dees-land
2. Melbourne: Jack Trengove... played 86 games, but never reached his full potential due to a nagging foot injury
3. Richmond: Dustin Martin... one of the greatest players of the modern era who has led the Tigers to 3 flags

Scully and Trengove were better than timid Tambling... but fancy having 2 chances to pick Dusty and not taking them?

It gets even better when you realise Melbourne held 4x picks in the top 18.

We passed on Nat Fyfe four times

Back