Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

When it comes to all-time draft blunders, Melbourne don't get the credit they deserve for the 2009 catastrophe.

1. Melbourne: Tom Scully... a mediocre mercenary who took the big coin on offer from the Giants after just 2 years at Dees-land
2. Melbourne: Jack Trengove... played 86 games, but never reached his full potential due to a nagging foot injury
3. Richmond: Dustin Martin... one of the greatest players of the modern era who has led the Tigers to 3 flags

Scully and Trengove were better than timid Tambling... but fancy having 2 chances to pick Dusty and not taking them?
And then Richmond tried to give Martin away but no one would trade for him.
It was just dumb, stupid luck that he is still a tigers player.
Richmond's talent identification has never been great.

And then Richmond tried to give Martin away but no one would trade for him.
It was just dumb, stupid luck that he is still a tigers player.
Richmond's talent identification has never been great.
Plus who knows how Martin would have turned out if Melbourne picked him.

Given their poor culture at the time, he might have gone completely off the rails and ended up as an answer to a "Greatest wasted talent" question.

You’re right nick blakey (born into an afl family), for example, wouldn’t be playing if it wasn’t for the academy

I met one kid and he came up to Sydney twice a year from year 11 to do a clinic. So 4 clinics, that’s quite some investment and I’m sure he wouldn’t of continued AFL if it wasn’t for ALL that time and effort these clubs put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a dumb thread.

Let's just wait three years.

At this stage nobody has a clue

What makes it even more dumb is that we have decent key forward stocks with Larkey, Comben, Edwards and CCJ.

I think if we’re going regret taking anyone it will be DGB, as his type is something we’re in desperate need of. All 3 have shown very little at the top level and I agree it needs to be assessed in 3-4 years, not now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Regardless of who will be better long term I always felt from afar that pick never made any sense, at least to me.

NM surely would have known they struggle in 2021. Which meant they would have had a high pick in 2021 draft. My understanding was 2021 was all midfielders even a year in advance.

Therefore you have LDU, Thomas, Simpkin, Powell ( who looks a player) and then with a mature body of Cunnington it seemed more practical to take a tall McDonald or DGB and then use the 2021 draft on another top line mid. Even if not Horne Francis there was Ward, Callahan, Hobbs etc so there were always going to be options.

But to be fair here the Roos do have Larkey and McKay so they don’t have no youth at the posts but adding McDonald or DGB at the expense of Phillips made a lot more sense at lest to m.

Regardless of who will be better long term I always felt from afar that pick never made any sense, at least to me.

NM surely would have known they struggle in 2021. Which meant they would have had a high pick in 2021 draft. My understanding was 2021 was all midfielders even a year in advance.

Therefore you have LDU, Thomas, Simpkin, Powell ( who looks a player) and then with a mature body of Cunnington it seemed more practical to take a tall McDonald or DGB and then use the 2021 draft on another top line mid. Even if not Horne Francis there was Ward, Callahan, Hobbs etc so there were always going to be options.

But to be fair here the Roos do have Larkey and McKay so they don’t have no youth at the posts but adding McDonald or DGB at the expense of Phillips made a lot more sense at lest to m.

Didn't have Powell, and Thomas had barely played midfield at that stage. I'm sure it was the plan but all flag sides have shown you can't have too many good mids, and if we missed Powell and Thomas couldn't build into the midfield we'd be even further behind there.

Anyway, this thread is far too early because Phillips is at least 2 seasons away from being AFL ready body wise. He is certainly no Walsh or Rowell. And we didn't pick him for his first 4 seasons, we picked him for the 10 after that. He's done enough in the VFL for us to project him as a top line mid still, he just needs huge amounts of work on his endurance and strength. Glandular fever won't help in the short term, but again, he's 2 years away from being required.

Meanwhile McDonald is in the same boat, except he's probably at least 3 years away considering the strength and endurance key position players need! So really both players are nowhere near what they could become, because they both require multiple pre seasons.

If we pick a mid this year though I'll be a cranky man. Need a KD, Weitering/Moore type. I don't care if they're projected to be pick 5-6 and we take them 1, we can't continue to play Walker, Corr and Ziebell as our depth talls.

Midfielders are a dime a dozen. If you're ******* up finding a star mid with an early pick you are doing it wrong. They are the safest and easiest talents to spot. Most quality mids will be up and going dominating the comp by year 3.

Laird, Keays, Lyons, Adams, Parish, Guthrie, Miller, T.Mitchell (good numbers but in and out of the side, used as sub etc), Viney, Simpkin, Prestia, Steele, Mills, Yeo...all took time, or were hidden at half back. Maybe not Oliver, Bont tier, but they are all quality mids.

Even now, we've got the likes of Bailey, M.Kennedy, Caldwell, Brodie, Parfitt, Sinclair - I'd even add Hewett as an excellent defensive mid - taking big steps as mids well past their 3rd years. Hard to see where their careers end up individually but they're all establishing themselves as bona fide centre square mids.

Petracca and Dusty were much better than the above early on but still copped huge amounts of criticism for their endurance and drifting in and out of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we pick a mid this year though I'll be a cranky man. Need a KD, Weitering/Moore type. I don't care if they're projected to be pick 5-6 and we take them 1, we can't continue to play Walker, Corr and Ziebell as our depth talls.
SA Lad Lemmey is tracking as the best Key Forward at the top end of the draft, so keep an eye out.

Laird, Keays, Lyons, Adams, Parish, Guthrie, Miller, T.Mitchell (good numbers but in and out of the side, used as sub etc), Viney, Simpkin, Prestia, Steele, Mills, Yeo...all took time, or were hidden at half back. Maybe not Oliver, Bont tier, but they are all quality mids.

Even now, we've got the likes of Bailey, M.Kennedy, Caldwell, Brodie, Parfitt, Sinclair - I'd even add Hewett as an excellent defensive mid - taking big steps as mids well past their 3rd years. Hard to see where their careers end up individually but they're all establishing themselves as bona fide centre square mids.

Petracca and Dusty were much better than the above early on but still copped huge amounts of criticism for their endurance and drifting in and out of games.

I guess the Dogs have just been lucky.

The picks in the teens at this stage seem to have a lot of tall talent around.
You guys would have a lot of cap space too (esp. if Polec is delisted). There's always the possibility you downgrade your first rounder for a ready made player then take a KPD with your downgraded first round pick.

I do think an older 'leader' would help the kids develop too. Hodge was great for Brissie's kids. Would cost 4/5ths of SFA too - Mitch Wallis, JPK, etc

The picks in the teens at this stage seem to have a lot of tall talent around.
You guys would have a lot of cap space too (esp. if Polec is delisted). There's always the possibility you downgrade your first rounder for a ready made player then take a KPD with your downgraded first round pick.

I do think an older 'leader' would help the kids develop too. Hodge was great for Brissie's kids. Would cost 4/5ths of SFA too - Mitch Wallis, JPK, etc
Having Cunnington back playing would suffice.

Couldn't believe they didn't take MacDonald at the time. Still can't believe it now.

MacDonald is a generational key forward in the making. Philips is a very good mid. It's clearly a drafting error.
Three generational forwards in the top four apparently.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back