Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Remove this Banner Ad

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hurricane laughter, tearing down the plaster. Currently.

These guys always get brought up in ‘ rock is dead ‘ conversations but that is just boring , 1 so so idea flattened out to 2 and a 1/2 minutes and they are a pretty bland imitation of parquet courts anyway

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Osho

By God and the mauser.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
These guys always get brought up in ‘ rock is dead ‘ conversations but that is just boring , 1 so so idea flattened out to 2 and a 1/2 minutes and they are a pretty bland imitation of parquet courts anyway

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
If you don't get it...move on.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Hurricane laughter, tearing down the plaster. Currently.

wow 1:09 lead in that's unheard of these days!
Great song! if this was the late 70's early 80's punk era it would have been a smashing hit!

Last edited:

Osho

By God and the mauser.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
wow 1:09 lead in that's unheard of these days!
Great song if this was the late 70's early 80's punk era it would have been a smashing hit!
Good tune. Spoken lyrics. Reminds me a bit of later Fall. There's so much good contemprary music.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Btw songs are much better and more catchy with lead ins instead of going straight to the chorus and forgotten as almost all junks songs of today do.

Electronic_Renaissance

I ain't sayin' nothin'!
Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
A couple of points:

1) It has never been easier for a younger generation to listen to older music. As an example, when I was ten years old the only music I listened to was what my Dad had bought or what was on Rage/radio etc. I couldn't buy "old" music and it wasn't worth the risk as I didn't know what I was getting. Now it is available on Spotify etc. for free.

2) The new vs old thing. Well if you consider "new" music as music within the last few years you just can't compete with the DECADES of older music. Especially if you are a younger person who is discovering it for the first time. Whether it was made 2 months ago or 30 years ago, it is still new music to these people.

3) The money for bands these days is in the live scene and not album sales. So if you have established a fanbase you can tour forever and not release any new music. A lot of older bands do that. Also, how many emails do I get from promoters etc. with upcoming concerts. So many of it is for tribute bands, even some where the real bands are still touring! People have chosen this, otherwise all these tribute bands wouldn't be around.

4) The "scenes" that come along. Birth of Rock n Roll, British Invasion, Prog Rock, Punk, New Romantics, Grunge, Britpop, "The" bands (Strokes etc.). I haven't seen a new scene around for a while. Nothing has really happened lately that has shaken up music. But I stand to be corrected on this, I'm just going on what I know.

There is still good new music around but because of the above it isn't front and centre like it used to be. It just isn't promoted. The labels will go where the money is. Hey, they are a business!

Last edited:

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
It’s never been easier for artists to make, produce, promote and distribute music.
It’s never been easier for punters to access it.
Music is thriving.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
It’s never been easier for artists to make, produce, promote and distribute music.
It’s never been easier for punters to access it.
Music is thriving.
Is this the problem through? How much of that music is any good or lasting? Will anyone be listening to today’s music in 30 years time like we are listen to muisc today from 30 years ago? Making it easy for artist to produce music isn’t a good thing imo. All you need is a trap beats machine and any talentless hack is making a dollar. To much of the some s**t isn’t always a good thing It just saturates the market with junk. One of the reason hair mental died out in the early 90s was that there was to much of the some s**t that just saturated the market and people got sick of it and drifted off to something different eg.. grunge or hence seek alternative rock. The difference today is the market won’t allow anything else or any new trents to come through because it’s not practical for the record companies to produce it or for traditional media to promote it.

Last edited:

La Dispute

La Dispute
Suspended
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
As a random question, still tangentially linked to the thread question, who would we consider the best artist of the past 10-15 years?

I would nominate:

The National
Sufjan Stevens
Radiohead
Mastodon
La Dispute
Four Tet
Tim Hecker
Titus Andronicus (limited output, but big peak)
The Tallest Man On Earth
Converge
Flying Lotus
Baroness
Trophy Scars
Beach House
The Ocean
Kendrick Lamar
Jeff Rosenstock (BTMI! and solo)
MeWithoutYou

Might just be my tastes and probably more likely the music I've been exposed to and has been released while I've been discovering music, but I'd take that list over a comparable set of 'best' 80's or 90's artists.

PoopingHindi

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Is this the problem through? How much of that music is any good or lasting? Will anyone be listening to today’s music in 30 years time like we are listen to muisc today from 30 years ago? Making it easy for artist to produce music isn’t a good thing imo. All you need is a trap beats machine and any talentless hack is making a dollar. To much of the some s**t isn’t always a good thing It just saturates the market with junk. One of the reason hair mental died out in the early 90s was that there was to much of the some s**t that just saturated the market and people got sick of it and drifted off to something different eg.. grunge or hence seek alternative rock. The difference today is the market won’t allow anything else or any new trents to come through because it’s not practical for the record companies to produce it or for traditional media to promote it.
sure there’s plenty of junk but there’s a lot of good stuff too.
will any of it be lasting? some of it, but the sheer volume of music and it’s accessibility make it easier to move on to the next thing so it’s less likely than before.

the real beauty of it is that we’re no longer slaves to major record companies and traditional media. that model is practically dead. I can listen to whatever genre of music I want, whenever I want and because artists can make whatever they want there’s something for everyone…even hair metal.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
It's an interesting topic. I'm 70 next birthday, so I've been buying music since the mid 60s. I try not to listen to too much 'old' music, as I always say, the people who are still banging on about Led Zep and Black Sabbath in their 60s are the same people who complained that their parents didn't get the Beatles, and were still banging on abut Glenn Miller! But Glenn Miller was way closer in time to Led Zep than Led Zep is to now! There's good music being produced all the times, but as noted, the music scene is so fragmented now.

The ever-increasing impact of TV, films, and social profile (all with their own carefully curated soundtracks) adds to the universality of 'old' music.

But I think the biggest factor is that music just doesn't have the centrality in in young people's lives that it did when I was a kid. When a new record came out by Dylan, or the Stones, or the Pink Floyd, we'd all go round someone's flat, and everybody would basically STFU and listen it it! And then play it all over again. OK, we were smoking weed and taking drucks too, but still! :D Point, is, that would be unthinkable today.

Electronic_Renaissance

I ain't sayin' nothin'!
Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
I don't think this has been mentained but the shows that came along in the early 2000's onwards like Pop Stars, X-Factor etc have a lot to answer for.

Music became less of an artform and more of a competition. The winners made a song that hit #1 due to the hype but there was no interest in these shows to make long lasting music. Just milk the winner enough until the next season, rinse and repeat.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Further to my OP article here is an interview with Ted Gioia about the current state of music and other media in general and what is the future of music.

insightful

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
This is bonkers! The record industry has truly hit the bottom of the pits. When the artists themselves need to rely on creating viral TickTok videos to gain the record labels attention its no wonder why no real new music can get through in the mainstream.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad