Is our game about inclusion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
We've seen a player excluded from our game because of a social issue.
Is that why we play footy, to divide or include, not simply play the game we love.
See the Australia Day issues thread now locked - its not about Australia Day or the issue raised.
Are our clubs about footy, including different views or marginalising minorities ?
There is a time & a place for everything & footy brings us together not dividing us.

We’ve seen a player exclude themselves over a social issue.

You can certainly see it that way. GWS made a decision to be involved & the player felt that way.

My point being it was the club decision on an issue that forced her hand. No different to cricket & Khawaja close on 10 years ago?

A commercial arrangement has more room for a pragmatic solution ....

Is that why we play footy, to divide or include, not simply play the game we love.
See the Australia Day issues thread now locked - its not about Australia Day or the issue raised.
Are our clubs about footy, including different views or marginalising minorities ?
There is a time & a place for everything & footy brings us together not dividing us.
Good post. I think what they call ‘inclusion’ is actually exclusion. Not just footy, in this modern world generally. Think about it, in the workforce there’s an insurmountable amount of noise and effort to promote inclusion and diversity however in many ways it’s just virtue signalling. We need equality they say.. We need diversity they say.. That’s all good if you’re female, LGTBI or indigenous… Who’s looking out for the poor old men and women who end up on the scrap heap once they turn 50? Who’s employing disabled people in their organisations with the same enthusiasm and passion ad ‘they’ shout the need for women to hit their diversity KPI?

Football is my passion. It’s what I can’t wait for every weekend to escape the sewer pit of Twitter etc, where all this political virtue signalling resides. I get all the political correctness, inclusion and equality forced down my throat from Monday to Friday. Footy’s my escape.

Now ‘they’ are trying to takeover football. I’m absolutely in favour of the game playing a role in supporting meaningful and desirable social change.. However, when clubs openly confront Australia Day basically only through the lens of the indigenous then they become ‘exclusive’ to the majority they support Australia Day. Clubs positions are therefore divisive.

Clubs need to be careful. The issue this week with the Giants AFLW player illustrates the delicate position clubs face in trying to be ‘inclusive’. Inclusive to some means not accepting others? That’s not inclusive.

If the game keeps going down this path I will become less engaged. Tbh, I’m becoming sick of every tom, dick and Harry pushing their minority barrow and the game supporting these causes out of fear they will be rebuked by the Twitter sewer brigade.

There you go, got if off my chest!

Clubs need to be careful. The issue this week with the Giants AFLW player illustrates the delicate position clubs face in trying to be ‘inclusive’. Inclusive to some means not accepting others? That’s not inclusive.
Great post :thumbsu:
In shorthand that is using footy for virtue signalling, stuff the consequences .

You can certainly see it that way. GWS made a decision to be involved & the player felt that way.

My point being it was the club decision on an issue that forced her hand. No different to cricket & Khawaja close on 10 years ago?

A commercial arrangement has more room for a pragmatic solution ....

Well, yes. That’s what happened.

There‘s a difference between opting out of a commercial message you don’t like and opting out of a social inclusion policy you don’t like. It seems like the club and the player have discussed it and we’ll see if there is any fallout through the season.

Well, yes. That’s what happened.

There‘s a difference between opting out of a commercial message you don’t like and opting out of a social inclusion policy you don’t like. It seems like the club and the player have discussed it and we’ll see if there is any fallout through the season.
When asocial inclusion program leads to exclusion, footy clubs need to address why, why their action leads to excluding a player.
Its a footy club & they are inclusive.
Its the rocky road they have chosen to go down. Whatever the policy its divisive

Last edited:
When asocial inclusion program leads to exclusion, footy clubs need to address why, why their action leads to excluding a player.
Its a footy club & they are inclusive.
Its the rocky road they have chosen to go down. Whatever the policy its divisive

I believe they’ve addressed with the sole player that has excluded themselves. Showing that the game is for the entire community and having conversations with those who disagree is part of the process.

I believe they’ve addressed with the sole player that has excluded themselves. Showing that the game is for the entire community and having conversations with those who disagree is part of the process.

My problem is footy clubs looking to divide.
IT is one foolish decision away from disaster for NIL gain to our game.

Good post. I think what they call ‘inclusion’ is actually exclusion. Not just footy, in this modern world generally. Think about it, in the workforce there’s an insurmountable amount of noise and effort to promote inclusion and diversity however in many ways it’s just virtue signalling. We need equality they say.. We need diversity they say.. That’s all good if you’re female, LGTBI or indigenous… Who’s looking out for the poor old men and women who end up on the scrap heap once they turn 50? Who’s employing disabled people in their organisations with the same enthusiasm and passion ad ‘they’ shout the need for women to hit their diversity KPI?

Football is my passion. It’s what I can’t wait for every weekend to escape the sewer pit of Twitter etc, where all this political virtue signalling resides. I get all the political correctness, inclusion and equality forced down my throat from Monday to Friday. Footy’s my escape.

Now ‘they’ are trying to takeover football. I’m absolutely in favour of the game playing a role in supporting meaningful and desirable social change.. However, when clubs openly confront Australia Day basically only through the lens of the indigenous then they become ‘exclusive’ to the majority they support Australia Day. Clubs positions are therefore divisive.

If the game keeps going down this path I will become less engaged. Tbh, I’m becoming sick of every tom, dick and Harry pushing their minority barrow and the game supporting these causes out of fear they will be rebuked by the Twitter sewer brigade.

Well said. Completely agree with this.

Yes. Anyone is welcome to play.

In reality she chose to self exclude. But this is an inherent problem with these rounds and the AFL attaching itself to social causes (not necessarily a bad thing btw did great work in mostly eradicating racism from the game).

But if the AFL comes out and says we are celebrating all Religions and Pride round the positions become incompatible. Traditional religions (especially a couple of more fundamentalist traditional ones) make no secret of their position on SSRs.

AFL should just say our game/indeed our society is welcome to all comers providing you are welcoming as well no matter your private beliefs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My problem is footy clubs looking to divide.
IT is one foolish decision away from disaster for NIL gain to our game.

We’re going around in circles. But please explain how a disaster may unfold.

The default position should be equality and inclusion. If players want don't wish to accept equality, they choose exclusion.

wow we needed a separate thread for this? really. This isnt going to end any better than the last thread.

Its a bigger issue than Australia Day & if we ignore where our game is going by talking positions on social issues unnecessarily, it will chose to isolate footy fans for no benefit, whilst ignoring the reason we join our footy club.

Its a bigger issue than Australia Day & if we ignore where our game is going by talking positions on social issues unnecessarily, it will chose to isolate footy fans for no benefit, whilst ignoring the reason we join our footy club.

I guess we do need a thread to dicuss the chronic over-reaction to clubs posting support for their chosen causes

I guess we do need a thread to dicuss the chronic over-reaction to clubs posting support for their chosen causes
They can keep doing it. However it’s divisive and is increasingly making members and fans frustrated.

Essendon’s head of strategy last year put out on his Twitter feed last year, “Not my Australia Day”. On his Twitter feed! Can you understand why more than half his followers, most of whom are Essendon fans and members would be offended by such a remark?
And why it could be taken by some as a divisive overstep of the line between footy and politics?

Such a tweet isn’t inclusive. And for a club with 83,000 members, it would’ve angered thousands. Including me.

They can keep doing it. However it’s divisive and is increasingly making members and fans frustrated.

Essendon’s head of strategy last year put out on his Twitter feed last year, “Not my Australia Day”. On his Twitter feed! Can you understand why more than half his followers, most of whom are Essendon fans and members would be offended by such a remark?
And why it could be taken by some as a divisive overstep of the line between footy and politics?

Such a tweet isn’t inclusive. And for a club with 83,000 members, it would’ve angered thousands. Including me.

Did it really anger half his followers though or are we slightly exaggerating here.

It sounds like you have a great cause to champion. If you go out and help the poor old men and women who end up on the scrap heap once they turn 50, I think you'll have a great deal of support, particularly from those talking about inclusion.

It would’ve angered the uneducated bigots amongst his followers at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back