Is our medical team not up to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Obviously unless we're actually at the club a topic like this is something we're not going to be fully informed about. But from the outside looking in and from whispers I've heard, it appears our medical staff aren't very good.

Rowe last year injures his knee, gets wrongly sent back on and completely ruptures his ACL, resulting in him missing serious time.

Then you've got the likes of Murphy, Kreuzer, Williamson, Marchbank, Weitering and Kennedy all playing through injuries this year which only made them worse and led to them missing time (in some cases lengthy amounts).

In the case of Marchbank, I happened to sit close to the ground at the Bulldogs game he returned in and you could clearly see he wasn't near being fit.

It's beginning to remind of GWS the last two years with all their injury list that never seems to get smaller and always has players going in and then back out.

In our case, why the hell are we playing so many young blokes when they're not right? We need these blokes for the long-term, not for a few games in 2018.

I feel like a full review needs to be done at the end of the season.

Am I wrong?

The rushing back and playing of players that are clearly unfit is unacceptable and MUST stop !!
In our rebuild this was always going to be a development year , but how can you develop what isn't there.
These clowns are wasting precious time.
The club ask for patience during this rebuild and for the most part the supporters have bought in , but the club has a responsibility to get this ongoing mess sorted out now.
2018 is fast becoming a bloody write off , we simply cannot afford to stall this rebuild with a continuance of this situation in 2019.
Get it sorted CFC ... NOW !!

We're running up too many 'coincidences' for there not to be a review on the methods we employ in determining whether a player is good to go, or not.
The Williamson situation has just put a nasty cherry on a pretty bad pie.

I don't care whether we're the worst or not. We just have to get better at what we're doing and stop getting so 'unlucky'

On face value it is shambolic and a glaring failure

It's the complete opposite of what a developing side needed :mad:

Jimmae and I have said plenty, amongst a few others, in the blue healers thread so I don’t feel like re-typing it all. Essentially though one or more of the core ingredients is being managed incorrectly, whether that be nutrition, recovery, training loads or medical diagnosis etc. Requires an internal review as it’s a complex situation.

The Williamson scan issue leans me towards it being some part of the medical staff.

We are asking a lot of young bodies, the least we can do is protect them from hurting themselves further by trying not to let team mates down by staying off injured.

Someone needs to know where that line is

Like I said in the blue healers thread, to have this many recurrences of injuries smacks of a inept medical team. 1 or 2 recurrences could be put down to bad luck, but 5 or so in 10 weeks is not a coincidence.

The club probably can't do anything about it mid-season in terms of sacking people, the knowledge of the players loads and history through the season/off-season is important. But I expect so see some level of a shake up in the off-season, there needs to be. This can't be allowed

Also, having a poor medical team is something that free agents/trade targets will look at. Several players have gone to Hawthorn purely because they have one of the best. Equally, a poor one that has shown it can't manage injuries and has a high rate of re-injury could put some players off. Especially if they're 50-50 between us and another club.

1. Are players being selected without proper clearance from the medical team?

2. Is the medical team being pressured to provide clearance to injured players by the match committee?

3. Are our doctors that bad (ie. Worst in AFL) and clearly misjudging when a player is fit to play.

Option 3 is the most unlikely. Options 1 & 2 indicate massive failures on governance of the football department, and provide yet another reason why Andrew McKay's position should be under reviw

1. Are players being selected without proper clearance from the medical team?

2. Is the medical team being pressured to provide clearance to injured players by the match committee?

3. Are our doctors that bad (ie. Worst in AFL) and clearly misjudging when a player is fit to play.

Option 3 is the most unlikely. Options 1 & 2 indicate massive failures on governance of the football department, and provide yet another reason why Andrew McKay's position should be under reviw
Part of me wonders if no.1 has something to do with it. Early on Bolton did preach that he wants player to play through adversity and with minor injuries. So I do wonder if he gets to a point where he says "90% fit you say? Get him in".

I put it on the med team at this point, but there's an inkling in my mind that wonders if they're being superseded in declaring fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is what happens when you have a young team

Murph aside, most of the injuries have been to younger folk?
Kreuzer as well earlier in the season.

The other 3 were young, though they're not exactly young body issues; an ankle injury isn't a result of a body maturing. Anyone can sprain an ankle, age is irrelevant in that.

The questions I'd like to know the answers to :

(i) who actually are our medical people ??

(ii) what policies do they work to ??

(iii) who makes the decisions & who has the final say ??

(iv) at what point does the football department get involved ??
(v) what's their history, where have they come from, what are their achievements/failures?

This happened last year with Rowe, who did his ACL after returning from a knee.
Also gappened with Marchbank playing multiple games unable to raise his arm due to a shoulder.

Something stinks in our medic department.

This happened last year with Rowe, who did his ACL after returning from a knee.
Also gappened with Marchbank playing multiple games unable to raise his arm due to a shoulder.

Something stinks in our medic department.
Great memory. Completely forgot that Rowe already injured his knee then went on again.

To be honest, think it's been going on for years.

Waite could never get on the park for us and now he barely misses a game at north.

Trying to find an interview he did basically saying that gettimg on the park more he puts down to norths medical team.

Was a bit of a backhander to the medical treatment at the Blues.

A stat on AFL 360 said that , as of last week, approx 24% of all listed AFL players is out injured.

That seems a lot and probably suggests we are not the only club with a lot of injuries.

GWS has been shocking for two season, Adelaide this year, the dogs in the lead up to the finals in 2016 had a truckload.

So we could have issue or maybe it's just our turn or a bit of both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back