Opinion Is our window closing?

YouBeauty

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2004
Bottomless Pit
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is no point in getting caught up in history. History does not dictate the future.
If you have a team that is 4 wins 4 losses and a draw that tells you there is an issue with consistency, meaning that team won't win enough games in a row to make top 4.
Currently we have a 50% win record, so if 8 games are remaining I would say we will end up with approx 8 wins and a draw.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
With 8 games remaining.. Spin Doctor.

your question was how many teams have made top 4 from 10th at around half way - I said being only 6 points from Top 4 makes a big difference. In other words there probably is no example historically where a regular season has seen 6 points between top 4 and 10th at that point in the season.
So you are trying to compare apples and oranges.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Buckleys game plan ruined Cloke's confidence and retired him early and turned Darcy Moore into a defender.

Cooke’s confidence would evaporate if someone looked at him wrong - nothing to do with Buckley. Bloke had the most frail mental state of any KPP I’ve ever seen

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Cooke’s confidence would evaporate if someone looked at him wrong - nothing to do with Buckley. Bloke had the most frail mental state of any KPP I’ve ever seen

lol....and yet he took the most contested marks in a season....just think if those opponents had ever worked out they just needed to "look at him wrong"....omg you're funny

Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In answer to the OP, yes - in my opinion it is.

Pendlebury is still our best player & 32, Sidebottom 30 at the start of 2021 and the kids (Daicos, Brown x2, Atu, Kelly etc.) that we've seen so far aren't exactly inspiring.

Our tier 2 midfielders, both Adams & Treloar, have proven they can't carry the 1-2 mantle. And our forward line, without De Goey, is as docile as anything.

We can turn this around, but it requires an aggressive approach to list management.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Come back to me when it's 7 from 8.
We have Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne next up...even going at current spluttering form we should win those 3.

That leaves us to play

Carlton
North
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Port

Get a bit of confidence back and getting 7 wins doesn’t seem that far fetched.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we don’t get 1 at a minimum 2 at a stretch KPF’s then yes.

Can’t win a big dance without them, you can try.

I still can’t understand how we aren’t mining the state leagues for more depth, Mihocek our leading goal kicker (drafted as a backman) and Noble are both best 22 players. Sure there are some competitive beasts 195cm + that would fit in up fwd?!?!?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
and yet in other posts you’ve said and agreed with others that the fix could be as simple as shifting to a more positive and offensive game plan - that’s hardly a flag window welded shut.

I agree a change in game plan would have a dramatic improvement, we do it every game, play ideal for 1st qtrs and then shut down. Never said it would be simple.

If I were a betting man I'd put money on the coaching panel wanting that game style to continue, so why not? Is it that we can't maintain it? Dunno.

All I know (or what should be) is if we could then we would, but we ain't.

I've maintained this position post 2018. Can but won't whether we can't (likely) or whatever reason.

So yeah, chip the flux off that weld, coz it's welded - shut.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Only need to repair our broken forward line and get any decent midfielder that can kick straight,
not a fan of these 30 disposal midfielders that turn most of their kicks over and can only run one direction.
Also need to keep our small forwards in the forward line Elliott is a brilliant forward for example, even though he is
good rotating through midfield i would leave him in his position.Same with Stevo.

These are the same midfielders that Bucks and Dekka targeted for the team build? The whole idea of Nathans ideal game requires two way running, ideally it's a swarm and spread - outnumber in the phone box AND on the outside.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Give me a fully fit JDG, Howe, Grundy ( I think he’s carrying an injury), Pendles, Langdon in form Cox, and an offensive 2018 game plan - and I’ll give you a window that’s wide open.

All those players fully fit and in form at the same time?! This is Collingwood mate, it just don't happen - this is rare air you're talking about.

This is as narrow as our 'window'

Was it ever open? We nearly pinched a flag in 2018 when a lot of players had career best years or in the case of Scharenberg two thirds. The tigs and WC were the clear best two sides across the season though.

daicos mark 2

Debutant
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
With smart and bold trades and recruiting we could challenge. Bucks could still be an issue. Without a strong coaching panel and covid restrictions he really is getting found out.

I would see what we could get for cox Phillips Thomas wills WHE.

I would go hard for ben brown and weidenman from dees. We also need a fast skilful line breaking wingman.

3 weaknesses are our key forwards , small crumbing forward and a fast skilful wingman.

I would seriously look at trading Stephenson if it means we could land a gun wingman or a key forward

daicos mark 2

Debutant
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maynard Roughead crisp
Langdon moore Quaynor
Sidebottom pendelbury Daicos
De goey Reid Miochek
Elliot Cameron Stephenson
Foll : Grundy treloar Adams
Inter : greenwood sier varcoe Hoskin-Elliot

This would be my team we go with on run home and finals. Left howe out because don’t think he will get up.

Missing pendles greenwood Langdon who will all be back in 3 weeks

Plus De Goey for finals

Need the 3 tall forward set up. Bucks gets selection right for once we may just come good

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne next up...even going at current spluttering form we should win those 3.

That leaves us to play

Carlton
North
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Port

Get a bit of confidence back and getting 7 wins doesn’t seem that far fetched.

Its a fairly easy run home thats for sure.

Look we will make the 8 no doubt but i think we will fall in the pf again.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Maynard Roughead crisp
Langdon moore Quaynor
Sidebottom pendelbury Daicos
De goey Reid Miochek
Elliot Cameron Stephenson
Foll : Grundy treloar Adams
Inter : greenwood sier varcoe Hoskin-Elliot

This would be my team we go with on run home and finals. Left howe out because don’t think he will get up.

Missing pendles greenwood Langdon who will all be back in 3 weeks

Plus De Goey for finals

Need the 3 tall forward set up. Bucks gets selection right for once we may just come good
I agree with most of your team as our legit best 22 (besides Howe, obviously), but I have a few disagreements. I'm not sure Greenwood nor Reid are physically capable of a H&A + Finals run. I'd roll with:
FB: Maynard - Roughead - Langdon
HB: Crisp - Moore - Quaynor
C: Daicos - Adams - Sidebottom
HF: Mihocek - Cameron - Elliot
FF: De Goey - Cox - Stephenson
Foll: Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar
INT: Sier - Hoskin-Elliot - Noble - Scharenberg
Emergencies: Phillips - Mayne - Reid - Brown

That's my dream lineup. Get Langdon back to replace some of the air control we miss with Howe gone. Eventually (Finals) get De Goey back and play him deep forward while rotating him through the midfield. Move Stephenson back to deep forward. Play Cox as a deep target too - Cameron seems better up the field as a marking target. Also allows Grundy to rest forward occasionally. Scharenberg in allows Noble to play as a wingman, which in my opinion is his natural position. I think, like you, if we get the selection right down the track good things may follow.

5 goals up, we blew it.
It will probably end up being the reality of this period of time. What hurts about 2018 is the 5 goal lead. We were not the best team of that year by any means but well into the first Q 5 up and you are odds on favs. That hurt.

YouBeauty

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2004
Bottomless Pit
AFL Club
Collingwood
It will probably end up being the reality of this period of time. What hurts about 2018 is the 5 goal lead. We were not the best team of that year by any means but well into the first Q 5 up and you are odds on favs. That hurt.
Was it really 5 goals, 30 points? I choose to forget :( I wish we just shut the game down, gone with the flood, or something to stop them scoring.....

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
In answer to the OP, yes - in my opinion it is.

Pendlebury is still our best player & 32, Sidebottom 30 at the start of 2021 and the kids (Daicos, Brown x2, Atu, Kelly etc.) that we've seen so far aren't exactly inspiring.

Our tier 2 midfielders, both Adams & Treloar, have proven they can't carry the 1-2 mantle. And our forward line, without De Goey, is as docile as anything.

We can turn this around, but it requires an aggressive approach to list management.

If Sidey and Pendles were going backwards I think most would agree. Pendles could easily have 2-3 years left and Sidey 4-5.
That gives adequate time to find/develop quality replacements for them.
Why are you pointing out a fwd line without JDG - do you think he’s leaving or are you suggesting he’ll need to play permanently in the midfield?

Back