Opinion Is Pendlebury a Good Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, this thread is a joke and just shows how bog ordinary some of our supporters are. Pendles has been our best performer over the past 10 years and for him to be questioned after one lousy performance just shows how short sighted some are. Sure, Pendles isn't demonstrative or over the top emotionally, but look at the group he's leading. We have so many young players trying to find their way in this competition, but i bet if Pendles had been the skipper of the Geelong or Hawks sides over the past 5 years there wouldn't be any questions asked. Considering our focus seems to have been on changing the culture of the club, I'd suggest there's few better places to start than with perhaps the most professional, dedicated and hard working bloke on the list

WELL OKAY. WE ARE ALL KNOW IT ALL:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pendles is a "metro-captain" big on process and analysis (which Bucks would love), squeaky clean, and perfect. But he is in no way the type of leader you want to go to war with.

I find this very strange. Pendlebury is tough, highly skilled and plays intelligently. Communicates well and leads by example. What on Earth are you looking for?

He looked good because he played so well. He makes players look how good he is but does not do as much thru Leadership
There are different types of leadership td, and the one we can see is very good, and the other only the club would know. And since the players vote for him l would say it is very good as well.
But if you know more can you please explain it to me

I find this very strange. Pendlebury is tough, highly skilled and plays intelligently. Communicates well and leads by example. What on Earth are you looking for?
I also find that bit baffling as well,he is the type of leader you would want to have, shows by example and seems to care about the people around him

He's a really good set by example captain.

Remember captains do things not just on the field, training, session after session.
The long long summer months.

I bet he leads by total example

He's a really good set by example captain.

Remember captains do things not just on the field, training, session after session.
The long long summer months.

I bet he leads by total example
Exactly this. No one here would see the work Pendles puts in behind closed doors. I think it would be a hell of a lot of work and everyone would love every minute of his leadership.

I remember when Nick Maxwell was appointed captain and the up roar of it all. Nick was a leader on the field and an even bigger leader off. His professonalism was immense, just like Pendles. If that isn't leadership I don't know what is. I wish we had Maxy back at the club one day. The GWS boys love having him there.

I'm old fashioned.
I want a Captain who everyone knows is the Captain by his on field direction of his teammates.
Not sure I see that in Pendles.
Saw it in Maxy.
Saw it in Burnsy, saw it in Buckley.
Not a fan of the new age "soft" speak to the playing group. Also why I'm not a fan of Rivers at VFL level.
While certainly don't condone the fire and brimstone Captain/Coach of old, a Captain has to be very vocal.
Not sure our Captain is.

I think Penders is a class act, he showed huge leadership to get over Geelong, is he the best Captain maybe not but he's the best we have right now. We don't see much behind the scenes but he has the support of the playing group and that's what's needed.

I asked myself this yesterday.

I think he is good, not outstanding. He has good media skills, knowledge of the game and can obviously play. My question is though, is he a natural leader of men? Our past 5 captains had the above traits but were particularly hard at it - Maxwell, Burns, Buckley, Brown and Shaw. They really led by example with toughness on the field and all seemed very demanding of their team mates. IN other words they set the tone. Pendles, while his toughness can't be under rated (playing through injury), he doesn't strike me as someone who players look to and really feel committed to take their game to another level. He is very similar to Cotchin and Murphy in the captain department. Has been given the mantle of captain because of his work rate, talent and perhaps his friendship with the coach.

Is there anyone that could replace him? I don't think so. There doesn't seem to be any leaders on any line of the field this season. Even the leadership group is pretty thin with Sidebum and Adams both a long way off. In retrospect those mature age recruits in Harvey, Dal Santo, Mitchell and Lewis all look pretty good right now.

I think the next captain will be either Adams or Grundy.
If it is to be Adams he needs to improve his disposal which is his only weakness. I think he is tenacious and the guys would follow him.

Grundy is an animal as would be a great Captain I think from the outside looking in.

I think the next captain will be either Adams or Grundy.
If it is to be Adams he needs to improve his disposal which is his only weakness. I think he is tenacious and the guys would follow him.

Grundy is an animal as would be a great Captain I think from the outside looking in.

Actually wouldn't mind him as captain.. is he vocal enough on the field though.. man mountain yes.. but he does seem like a wee church mouse.. doesn't talk much out there.

One of these would do me nicely right at the moment...I want someone who won't let the likes of Fantasia, Stringer, Cotchin and Cockatoo goad our players unchallenged. Someone who mightn't do the TV interviews as well but makes the reporter nervous just standing next to them! I want a warrior leader thanks.
imgres-1.jpg imgres.jpg 733-Des_Tuddenham.jpg 4866074.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the outside it appears Maxwell was a far better captain, but it's hard to get an accurate read without being inside the club
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Haven't read a word of this thread apart from the title.

I have not really thought that Pendles has been a good Captain.

But.

His game against Geelong is the best game I have ever seen as him as a Captain.

He was hungry, he was angry, he was dominant,... quite simply he was intimidating to the opposition, and the way he ended with Selwood... the passion, the brutal passion... is exactly what this club, this movement... this Family needs.

I have never been more admiring of Pendles since he went Chris Tarrant for fouling O'Bree (I think...)

That's the Pendles this Club needs to be Our Captain.

That's the Pendles I'll tune in to watch this weekend.

Honestly, this thread is a joke and just shows how bog ordinary some of our supporters are. Pendles has been our best performer over the past 10 years and for him to be questioned after one lousy performance just shows how short sighted some are. Sure, Pendles isn't demonstrative or over the top emotionally, but look at the group he's leading. We have so many young players trying to find their way in this competition, but i bet if Pendles had been the skipper of the Geelong or Hawks sides over the past 5 years there wouldn't be any questions asked. Considering our focus seems to have been on changing the culture of the club, I'd suggest there's few better places to start than with perhaps the most professional, dedicated and hard working bloke on the list

If this thread was about "Is Pendlebury a good player?" then I'd agree wholeheartedly with your post.

IMO Maxwell is probably the best captain we've had in my lifetime (as much as we can tell from a supporter's POV), but that had little to do with whether he was a decent player or not. A Captain obviously needs to be 'best 22', but beyond that, it's all about their leadership.

Pendlebury mentioned on his podcast this week that over the last few weeks he'd been trying to cut down on his 6-7 cups of coffee a day habit, and now he's tossed that aside and back on the caffeine.

In my mind (having been through it before) it totally explains everything about his performances over the last 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:
Alexander the great wasn't a big man. Not a great warrior either. He always led the attack though.. fought from the front.. but what separated him from the rest was his tactical genius.

So a bit of everything is required. Most important is being able to guage what's going on out there and instructing your players accordingly. That's where Pendlebury is great. Under Buckley.. not as much.. but it's still there.

I am not on board with all of this criticism. Nobody can doubt Pendlebury's playing or training attributes. He has played through injuries without the suggestion of a squeal. He plays well when the team does and when it doesn't. The only thing he doesn't bring to the game is the thuggishness of Hodge. This is an attribute that has won games for Hawthorn, so you can call it leadership, but I don't.
I am content with him as our captain. I would like to see some more support for him, particularly in defence where we really miss the Maxwell factor. There is a sign or two that Dunne is the man for this job. Our captain does not play in defence, and it is not sensible to expect him to supply a need in an area of the ground where he is only in transit. Coordination of the back line has to rest with the players who live there.
In short, we are doing alright in this part of the game. Leave it be.

I'd really like to know what people think being a good leader entails. Many years ago, one of my mentors told me that there were some people you shouldn't put in charge of paper clips. He said you treat these people like soldiers -just order them about and they'll jump when told to - the trouble being that if you put them in charge of anybody else the power and control sees them alienate everyone but their kind. He said good leaders are empathetic, tough, fair and flexible enough to treat everyone as individuals...and the only way you know if someone can lead or not is to watch how people work for them. Are they committed or do they do just enough to get by?

Sure, it looks good when you see a leader show passion and fire. I loved Tuddy and Shaw in particular, but you can't clone those guys or what made them what they were. The first step to being a great leader is to be yourself.

Pendles is doing fine.

Pendlebury mentioned on his podcast this week that over the last few week he'd been trying to cut down on his 6-7 cup of coffee a day habit, and now he's tossed that aside and now back on the caffeine.

In my mind (having been through it before) it totally explains everything about his performances over the last 3-4 weeks.

As a side note his podcast is AWESOME. like i went back to the listen to the podcast from the start on the weekend and retrospectively his insights were spot on. He clearly thinks outside the box, and when he retires he will make a great coach... after serving an apprenticeship...

Has played the last 3 seasons under various injury clouds, yet agrees to play for Australia in the upcoming International Rules series.

Not a good decision IMO. Get yourself right for 2018 SP10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back