Opinion Is Pendlebury a Good Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if Pendles would have more playing "freedom" if he was delegated to the leadership group and someone like Adams took the mantle, could it "release" him? Could it hamper Adams? Hard to imagine such a player could improve on his consistent exceptional performances though! How would he view it? Would he take it to heart? Wouldn't have thought so, reckon he might relish someone else taking the reigns but I could be entirely wrong and he truly values the captaincy. Right now I wouldn't say he is an outstanding captain, but externally it looks like he has the rest of the playing group in his corner - he's not a Maxwell but not many in the game in history have been either

Talking life in general, I'd say they've both got everyone in here covered
There personal success is nice but I care more about the success of Collingwood and so far with those two in charge we've had none.

Buckley is always reflecting and adapting his ways to benefit Collingwood. It's a shame that some people don't see it.
When our fortunes turn, you will disappear (current username).

"Buckley is always reflecting and adapting his ways to benefit Collingwood."

This may well be true. However, it's a shame we haven't seen these reflections, adaptations and learnings flow through to tangible on-field performance/improvement yet. Mind you, we are clearly a very patient lot at Collingwood. Year 7, Year 8...............................

There personal success is nice but I care more about the success of Collingwood and so far with those two in charge we've had none.

Totally agree Mike.

I get a feeling Buckley/Pendlebury don't know nor care about our personal successes.Why should we care about theirs? All that matters is delivery and performance at the CFC which has thus far been sorely lacking.

"Buckley is always reflecting and adapting his ways to benefit Collingwood."

This may well be true. However, it's a shame we haven't seen these reflections, adaptations and learnings flow through to tangible on-field performance/improvement yet. Mind you, we are clearly a very patient lot at Collingwood. Year 7, Year 8...............................
I think we have. This year was an improvement which should continue on into next season.

Totally agree Mike.

I get a feeling Buckley/Pendlebury don't know nor care about our personal successes.Why should we care about theirs? All that matters is delivery and performance at the CFC which has thus far been sorely lacking.

It's all they care about. What possible reason could you have for doubting that? Both men have Norm Smith medals as a result of their drive for team success.

I think we have. This year was an improvement which should continue on into next season.

We shall see. What concerns me more is that if we continue to go backwards/sideways or slightly improve over the next 2 years, then McGuire, underpinned by supporters like you will sell a further extension. Mark my words!

We shall see. What concerns me more is that if we continue to go backwards/sideways or slightly improve over the next 2 years, then McGuire, underpinned by supporters like you will sell a further extension. Mark my words!
Certainly hope so.

Co captains idea?

To me, sounds like you can't make a decision.

There is one captain.

For what it's worth, captaincy is more than on field, it's leading off field, training, the long long long summer, all the bits and pieces of being the leader.

Hard to pin what is a good captain, usually though, people will say a good captain is the latest few premiership captains. In other words, we're not really sure, so well just use the highest team theory, hence must be a pretty good captain.

No doubt Carey was a great captain, but likely a real skunk outside the playing time and training
But that's forgotten as his success masks his ordinariness.

Interesting discussion.

Pendlebury seems alright, the group seem tightly knit, so Scott seems ok.
Though my understanding is Taylor Adams has real influence.

And interestingly, Jeremy Howe, has good leadership influence. I'm really warming to his presence and leadership.

Good discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Co captains idea?

There is one captain.

For what it's worth, captaincy is more than on field, it's leading off field, training, the long long long summer, all the bits and pieces of being the leader.

Hard to pin what is a good captain, usually though, people will say a good captain is the latest few premiership captains. In other words, we're not really sure, so well just use the highest team theory, hence must be a pretty good captain.

No doubt Carey was a great captain, but likely a real skunk outside the playing time and training

Interesting discussion.

And interestingly, Jeremy Howe, has good leadership influence. I'm really warming to his presence and leadership.

Good discussion.
Yeah don't think you need 2 captains, already got a leadership team. In regard to your view that most generally rate captains by success only I think has some merit.

For mine I don't judge captains or coaches for that matter purely on premierships and I'm sure you'd view it the same as I. For example let's look at a Cameron Ling - premiership captain but certainly not a Tom Harley and universes away from the likes of Maxwell or Hodge. But yeah I get that some would say "premiership captain" making it sound like he should be up there with the captains of captains

Yeah don't think you need 2 captains, already got a leadership team. In regard to your view that most generally rate captains by success only I think has some merit.

For mine I don't judge captains or coaches for that matter purely on premierships and I'm sure you'd view it the same as I. For example let's look at a Cameron Ling - premiership captain but certainly not a Tom Harley and universes away from the likes of Maxwell or Hodge. But yeah I get that some would say "premiership captain" making it sound like he should be up there with the captains of captains
And I'll toss you back Maxwell.
would barely be mentioned if we didn't win the flag.
Elevated by that win.

But anyway

Co captains idea?

There is one captain.

Interesting discussion.

Good discussion.

Saintly

And the good thing about making Adams captain is that we don't have to worry about it impacting on his form - he's not that good in any event.

But on a serious note, I would have no problem with Adams as captain as he reminds me a bit of a pugnagious Tony Shaw and unlike Buckley/Pendlebury, he is not naturally blessed with talent and therefore I suspect he would have a greater understanding/appreciation of what it is like to be that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back