Is political correctness stifling debate?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm responding to it.. because it was posted in this thread.

It's nothing to do with PC stifling debate.

It is, however actually being used as propaganda by white nationalists... to show 'another example of us being attacked by the left'.

No it doesn't. The ad talks up Scandinavia and Scandinavians.

I can't understand why they would feel aggrieved at the video.
I can understand how it can be distorted to fuel white nationalism though.

So... the fu**... what?

I've got no problem with the ad.
Do you have a problem with the ad?

They're talking about how they are always growing and improving...

Yeah, I called out a poster for lying. Now you're making dubious analogies to argue that the ad can be taken the way it's being pushed, by white nationalists.
You're not the first person who will be defending the propaganda on here, and you won't be the last.

Whatever. Your issue is with me rather than the lie that started this, fine.

I'm just sick of this s**t getting peddled on BigFooty, as I watch this attitude growing around the world.

Did you know that neo Nazis marched through Washington the other day?
This s**t is growing. And it's partially growing because of people like the repeatedly banned poster 'That Brisbane Guy' who promotes that bullshit narrative.

You're taking the view that the fact that some people WOULD be aggrieved as incorrect or 'white nationalist' agenda. Like I said people will have different views whether you like it not.

You're post seem hyperbolic around this video being pushed as an anti national sentiment by 'white nationalists' to support their view point. Even if that is the case it's only a small number and of course some will hold that view.

You also seem to have a problem with national pride, the hypothetical Qantas ad WOULD disappoint some people to varying degrees - it would be a let down to know your country wasn't the originator of the Hills hoist, myself included. Just cause your view is meh that doesn't reflect everyone.

You need to broaden your mind on why people will think differently to you, instead of just immediately dismiss it as wrong.

Think we're done here, you're too rigid in your opinion.

Last edited:
You're taking the view that the fact that some people WOULD be aggrieved as incorrect or 'white nationalist' agenda. Like I said people will have different views whether you like it not.

You're post seem hyperbolic around this video being pushed as an anti national sentiment by 'white nationalists' to support their view point. Even if that is the case it's only a small number and of course some will hold that view.

You also seem to have a problem with national pride, the hypothetical Qantas ad WOULD disappoint some people to varying degrees - it would be a let down to know your country wasn't the originator of the Hills hoist, myself included. Just cause your view is meh that doesn't reflect everyone.

You need to broaden your mind on why people will think differently to you, instead of just immediately dismiss it as wrong.

Think we're done here, you're too rigid in your opinion.
The video is being misrepresented by white nationalists, as an attack on white people in support of immigrants.
One of the biggest issues they have is that a 'black man' finishes the sentence "Than our viking ancestors".
It's why it's also the main pic in the video shared in this thread.

The ad is fine. People's normal reaction to the vid is fine.
White nationalists misrepresenting the vid and using it to promote their hatred, is what I have an issue with.

Here are the facts.
1. The video can't only be described as self loathing.
2. The video is still on Youtube.
3.The video is being misrepresented by white nationalists to promote hate.
4. The video did not upset "most of the general public".

Since I called out the propaganda distorting the ad, almost every post has been about me, or defence of the propaganda in some form.

Maybe you could apply some of that open-mindedness and understanding that you've shown for them, with my views?
Instead of creating my views to suit yourself?
Like 'Hey look everyone, this guy doesn't care about the Hills hoist!!'

Something I think every person on the planet that can communicate should look at, and probably take a leaf out of.

Too many slanging matches and rigid ignorance going in the world, and here on BF.

Not a precedent we want to set here.

Police have recorded nearly 120,000 “non-crime” hate incidents and may have stopped those accused from getting jobs, the Telegraph can disclose.​
A High Court judge ruled on Friday the Hate Crime Operational Guidelines, which informs police work nationally, had been unlawfully used to interfere with a man’s freedom of speech.​
The guidelines, rolled out six years ago by the College of Policing, state that any action perceived to be motivated by hostility towards religion, race or transgender identity must be recorded “irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element”.​
Despite police accepting that such incidents are not crimes, they are still logged on a system and can even show up during a DBS check when applying for work.​
A total of 119,934 non-crime incidents were formally recorded by 34 police forces in England and Wales between 2014, when the guidance was introduced, and 2019.​

Not a precedent we want to set here.

Police have recorded nearly 120,000 “non-crime” hate incidents and may have stopped those accused from getting jobs, the Telegraph can disclose.​
A High Court judge ruled on Friday the Hate Crime Operational Guidelines, which informs police work nationally, had been unlawfully used to interfere with a man’s freedom of speech.​
The guidelines, rolled out six years ago by the College of Policing, state that any action perceived to be motivated by hostility towards religion, race or transgender identity must be recorded “irrespective of whether there is any evidence to identify the hate element”.​
Despite police accepting that such incidents are not crimes, they are still logged on a system and can even show up during a DBS check when applying for work.​
A total of 119,934 non-crime incidents were formally recorded by 34 police forces in England and Wales between 2014, when the guidance was introduced, and 2019.​

The UK has been crippled by political correctness in the last decade. Leaving the EU was a sign that most ordinary folk have had enough.

Extremely. Has happened in numerous places across the UK.

Just on this, one of the Muslim rapists in the UK who has been jailed after raping a 16 year old girl, has been filmed being stripped and beaten before having his head shoved down the toilet in jail.

People who disagree with the left on social issues will soon be required to wear a yellowish star shaped insignia on a patch or armband. Then it'll be easier for them to identify them and refuse the services.

86987912_136913781136485_1512292894415781888_n.jpg

People who disagree with the left on social issues will soon be required to wear a yellowish star shaped insignia on a patch or armband. Then it'll be easier for them to identify them and refuse the services.

So you hate the jews also?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51567971

Germany shooting: Nine dead after two attacks on Hanau shisha bars

Federal prosecutors are treating the attack as terrorism, with officials saying there is evidence the gunman was a far-right extremist.​

Cited is an article arguing for Identity Politics published by VOX. The bolded bits are the nub of its justification. Notice how the author refers to the bolded sentences as philosophical precision.

Note carefully, the second bolded paragraph. This is the foundational belief of PC/ID post modern movement.

The declaration of faith is that our historical biases are intransigent and that white men will always continue to get the job, the advantage ahead of the marginalised. If you accept this declaration of faith, the entire PC/ID agenda follows axiomatically - and every decent person should want to undermine this entrenched discrimination.

Those who don't buy this creed, do not accept that the historical biases are entrenched. They believe in organic cultural transformations and revolutions which punctuate history well before the advent of this movement: renaissance, reformation, enlightenment, utilitarianism, universal suffrage, coupled with economic progress. They can also point to the disastrous unintended consequences of synthetic social engineering leading to Gulags and Holocausts during the first half of the 20th century. Therefore, they are wary and unpersuaded.

How can it be logical to promote a unique group identity because it is discriminated against and thereby hope to remove the discrimination, when the discrimination itself is integral to that identity?

This appears an irresolvable problem for ID politics. It endeavours to be the agent of removing oppressions, whilst stubbornly insisting the same oppression defines the identity it is hoping to rescue. It's a circular road to no where.
"In 1990, Young published a classic book titled Justice and the Politics of Difference. At the time, political philosophy was dominated by internal debates among liberals who focused heavily on the question of wealth distribution. Young, both a philosopher and a left activist, found this narrow discourse unsatisfying.

In her view, mainstream American liberalism had assumed a particular account of what social equality means: “that equal social status for all persons requires treating everyone according to the same principles, rules, and standards.” Securing “equality” on this view means things like desegregation and passing nondiscrimination laws, efforts to end overt discrimination against marginalized groups.

This is an important start, Young argues, but not nearly enough. The push for formally equal treatment can’t eliminate all sources of structural inequality; in fact, it can serve to mask and even deepen them. Judging a poor black kid and a rich white one by the same allegedly meritocratic college admissions standards, for example, will likely lead to the rich white one’s admission — perpetuating a punishing form of inequality that started at birth.

Young sees an antidote in a political vision she developed out of experiences in social movements, which she calls “the politics of difference.” Sometimes, Young argues, achieving true equality demands treating groups differently rather than the same. “The specificity of each group requires a specific set of rights for each, and for some a more comprehensive system than for others,” Young writes. The goal is identity consciousness rather than identity blindness: “Black Lives Matter” over “All Lives Matter.”.....

Young’s philosophical precision allows us to understand what’s distinctive about contemporary identity politics. It also helps us understand why critics see it as such a threat.

www.vox.com

Identity politics isn’t hurting liberalism. It’s saving it.
Modern liberalism is weak and under siege. Its path to revival is clear — if liberals are willing to take it.
www.vox.com
www.vox.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back