Is political correctness stifling debate?

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Compared to say Gender Studies or English Departments - most academic sociologists are stats nerds who do endless surveys - maybe left wing but not in an obvious ideological way. Put it that way

:)

And here I was thinking you were going to say medicine and engineering.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Examples?

Actually I find it weird that I'm even in this thread. I agree with it. I probably don't think it's as big of a deal as it's made out to be, and as I've demonstrated to FireKraquora , I believe a more serious instutionalisation of anti free speech principals have taken place in the form of the american president. His own subreddit will not even allow one iota of disagreement and certainly parts of the right wing loves it's information bubbles and lack of free thought as much as anyone.
Examples? I've done the dozens of times before. Go through my historical posts.

If that isn't convincing enough, just look at the political leanings of the moderators. She dog is the only one who's not a lefty. What does that tell you? The decks are stacked.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Right. But if they are looking the part then theres no issue is there? You wouldn't be suspicious of a bearded man wandering in the female toilets claiming to be a woman to whoever protests?

Again, that particular argument isnt claiming that genuine trans people are a danger; its pointing out a legal loophole which dangerous people can exploit.

As I said, I think all toilets should be unisex. It solves all sides of this issue.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Right. But if they are looking the part then theres no issue is there? You wouldn't be suspicious of a bearded man wandering in the female toilets claiming to be a woman to whoever protests?

Again, that particular argument isnt claiming that genuine trans people are a danger; its pointing out a legal loophole which dangerous people can exploit.

Fwiw I think all toilets should be unisex. It solves all sides of this issue.
That particular argument is a facetious one designed to deny a group of people certain rights. Exactly how many kids are being abused by men dressing up as women and hiding in toilets. It is an absolutely ludicrous thing to be worried about.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
That particular argument is a facetious one designed to deny a group of people certain rights. Exactly how many kids are being abused by men dressing up as women and hiding in toilets. It is an absolutely ludicrous thing to be worried about.
So it's cool to give perverts access to female toilets because the won't be too many. Thanks for the clarification.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
So it's cool to give perverts access to female toilets because the won't be too many. Thanks for the clarification.
It must be strange being constantly afraid of non-existent threats. And on behalf of other people, too. I mean, if you really wanted to protect children from abuse, you’d keep them away from male family members, since that’s where the majority occurs. It’s almost like this argument is being made on disingenuous grounds.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
So it's if perverts are denied access to girls toilets men should be denied access to their children. You're a long way down the rabbit hole.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
You're proposing giving men the right to enter female toilets as long as they dress as women. What could possibly go wrong?

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Identity politics is stifling debate.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Social media and identity politics.

Which is the chicken and which is the egg?

Social Media laid the egg. You can admonish who you want from anywhere in the world now. It takes zero courage.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I disagree.

It's not just kids either. Why do we seperate women from men in the first place?

ChappyUK

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Your entire outlook is identity politics. You and others aren’t inhibited one bit in starting your own parties or being all over the media in vomiting up your right wing identity politics.

My entire outlook is against identity politics and for treating everyone fairly.

Clinton's campaign pretty much summed it up. CLINTON FOR BLACKS. CLINTON FOR HISPANICS etc.

No wonder MAGA was such a winner

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
My entire outlook is against identity politics and for treating everyone fairly.

Clinton's campaign pretty much summed it up. CLINTON FOR BLACKS. CLINTON FOR HISPANICS etc.

No wonder MAGA was such a winner

Maga is nothing but emotional identity politics.

Trump got into this mess by literally questioning the identity of Obama.

Think.

Malantagonista

I like the beach.
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Your entire outlook is identity politics. You and others aren’t inhibited one bit in starting your own parties or being all over the media in vomiting up your right wing identity politics.

You will just end up in jail on trumped up charges, with your family in hiding after the 2000th credible death threat.

Hell of a trade off in supposed free Democratic societies.

Back