Is political correctness stifling debate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes cos it means the colour black and only upsets people due to association error with actual racist behaviour. The word is not inherently racist which is why african americans sometimes refer to each other as the n word. Im horrified at the use of cockroaches, rats, and monkees to describe people of certain races or religions. They are objectively racist when used to describe a race. But not the n word.
We are all stupider for having read this.

I read yesterday about some baseball commentator that lost his job because he tweeted about transgender men not belonging in female toilets. I think it's a pretty fair point. Do we really want it normalized that a dude can put on a wig and hang out in the same restroom with little girls? It's a legitimate point to raise, but it's perceived as anti-LGBTI and the guy is punished for it.

Do we want it normalised that a dude can put on jeans and hang out in the same restroom as little boys? The hanging out bit isn't and shouldn't be normalised in either case and the sad reality is that parents are ill-advised to leave young children alone in a public toilet regardless of which appendages are allowed to be taken into which toilet. As a dad, I used to take my girls into a men's toilet when they were little, as there was no other option without no supervision - or when they were really little - without assistance.

Do we want it normalised that a dude can put on jeans and hang out in the same restroom as little boys? The hanging out bit isn't and shouldn't be normalised in either case and the sad reality is that parents are ill-advised to leave young children alone in a public toilet regardless of which appendages are allowed to be taken into which toilet. As a dad, I used to take my girls into a men's toilet when they were little, as there was no other option without no supervision - or when they were really little - without assistance.
That isn't the same thing tho.

Its not even just little girls, its also big girls or women. Maybe they just don't want someone (of any gender) with a utensil in their bathroom while they are there.

That isn't the same thing tho.

Its not even just little girls, its also big girls or women. Maybe they just don't want someone (of any gender) with a utensil in their bathroom while they are there.

That point was an aside.

My main point is that the theory of men putting on dresses and hanging out in public bathrooms with little girls is no different to the concept of men putting on jeans and hanging out in bathrooms with little boys.

And you're right, I expect there are many women who wouldn't like alterations to public toilet practices. There isn't a solution that will satisfy everyone, without going with a ridiculous number of differently categorised public toilets. Even then the incontinent would suffer, as there'd be nothing worse than having to sort through and decide which toilet was appropriate for you, when you're really desperate to go and can't hold on.

PC has been around for years, it had already gained much traction while millennials were still in diapers. Those who recall the 90’s know the term “political correctness gone mad“ was ever more prevalent as that decade wore on. How do you judge whether it’s gone too far though? I’d say the negatives at this point outweigh any positives from it. No doubt the intention to bring it in it was brought about as the west became ever more racially diverse. I guess it’s intention was to create homogenised and stable communities. When you look at the state of play right now, can you say it’s succeeded though?

The term may be relatively knew, but the concept of there being beliefs in a society that people feel uncomfortably saying or it is genuinely dangerous to say and will provoke widespread condemnation or much worse goes back as far as known history. It's always been the way. And rather than political correctness having dramatically risen - the consequences are currently less than they have been for most of known history.

The way I see it though, the term PC should be changed from political correctness to polite correctness, because many of those who use the term frequently and negatively are really just demanding the right to be rude and offensive without any social consequence.

That point was an aside.

My main point is that the theory of men putting on dresses and hanging out in public bathrooms with little girls is no different to the concept of men putting on jeans and hanging out in bathrooms with little boys.

And you're right, I expect there are many women who wouldn't like alterations to public toilet practices. There isn't a solution that will satisfy everyone, without going with a ridiculous number of differently categorised public toilets. Even then the incontinent would suffer, as there'd be nothing worse than having to sort through and decide which toilet was appropriate for you, when you're really desperate to go and can't hold on.
We must also build transgender nappie dispensories then I guess.

I know women who are survivors of some pretty bad stuff. they are the ones who first brought up that they were uncomfortable with trans people in their bathrooms. I think that is fair enough. At what point does some prick dress up just to get access to their ex? It may have already happened for all I know.

You could have Male, Female, Other ... that might cover it.

We must also build transgender nappie dispensories then I guess.

I know women who are survivors of some pretty bad stuff. they are the ones who first brought up that they were uncomfortable with trans people in their bathrooms. I think that is fair enough. At what point does some prick dress up just to get access to their ex? It may have already happened for all I know.

You could have Male, Female, Other ... that might cover it.
shorten you are and nappies are not going to the party..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Addiction to triggering is stifling debate.

So many people up for the fight, not the principle.

And the ‘I’m left/right and this is left/right so that should be my belief’

For example as a lefty I abhor fundamentalist religious terrorism, but I don’t believe ‘Normal’ people of the particular religion should suffer discrimination either

For example as a lefty I abhor fundamentalist religious terrorism, but I don’t believe ‘Normal’ people of the particular religion should suffer discrimination either

Would you say it's never okay to discriminate against someone for what they believe in, or is it sometimes acceptable to discriminate against someone if they hold beliefs that you find abhorrent?

Would you say it's never okay to discriminate against someone for what they believe in, or is it sometimes acceptable to discriminate against someone if they hold beliefs that you find abhorrent?

I don’t think you can seperate violent religious fundamentalism from criminal insane behaviour. Theres overlap.

I'm relieved to learn that they cast a deaf actor to play a deaf character in the new Godzilla v King Kong movie.

But it makes me wonder how anyone could justify casting The Rock to play an amputee in Skyscraper.

It was an egregious piece of representative ventriloquism, having an able-bodied Hollywood actor offering an impression of an amputee's lived experience.

I found that representative ventriloquism offensive. The movie should henceforth be broadcast with a warning label explaining this to others who might be similarly offended.

If you disagree, you are an apologist for mocking amputees.

You can't discuss issues like climate change, Covid 19 panic, "Crazy Joe" or Football umpiring these days without bracing yourself for an onslaught of angry rants and personal attacks. If half the Internet is people trying to explain how offended they were by a thing, the other half is people trying to get those people to shut up because they're afraid of censorship.

I dont like your opinion, my way or the highway (was it Castro or Krushchev that dubbed that?) appeals to brain dead.

Some historian's suggest the famous idiom actually originated from this fella? Of course in relation to Vietnam, the highway McNamara was referring to ended up being the highway the hell - although I doubt Bon Scott used this as a reference for the song...?

RobertSMcNamara.jpg

I'm relieved to learn that they cast a deaf actor to play a deaf character in the new Godzilla v King Kong movie.

But it makes me wonder how anyone could justify casting The Rock to play an amputee in Skyscraper.

It was an egregious piece of representative ventriloquism, having an able-bodied Hollywood actor offering an impression of an amputee's lived experience.

I found that representative ventriloquism offensive. The movie should henceforth be broadcast with a warning label explaining this to others who might be similarly offended.

If you disagree, you are an apologist for mocking amputees.

I'm assuming this is just sarcasm, ha ha good one!
And what about all those actors that portray soldiers in war movies, who are not actual soldiers, do you also find that offensive...?

Last edited:
A Swedish rape victim has expressed anger that a Syrian migrant who raped her has been given £70k ($96k) in damages by the Swedish state, while she received just £250 ($340).

The victim, a 42-year-old woman named Petra, was one of the victims of a Syrian migrant and his brother, who abducted and raped two women in the spring of 2017 in the city of Malmo.

She told the newspaper Expressen that the two men had entered her apartment in central Malmo during the middle of the day on March 19th of 2017 as she was resting in bed.

“Suddenly I had both men in the bedroom. I was woken by one of them screaming that I should lie down while the other spread my legs,” she said. Prosecutors say that the two Syrians raped her multiple times and beat her with punches and kicks to keep her quiet.

“They clearly threatened to kill me,” she said. “I ended up on the floor and there the violence continued. One of them also pointed some kind of gun at my head.”

After a time, both of the men left Petra’s apartment — but not before stealing her bank cards, her passport, and other belongings.

Following the arrest of the two Syrians, who had also locked up another woman in a basement for over 24 hours, Petra said she had to face them in a Swedish courtroom, where she says they laughed at her.

“I’m still going to a psychologist. I feel scared, don’t want to go out when it’s dark and cry a lot,” she said.

While Petra was awarded 225,000 Swedish kronor (£18,757/$25,552) in damages, she said she has only received 3,000 (£250/$340) so far.

One of the rapists, the younger of the brothers, was recently awarded 840,000 kronor by the Swedish state (£70,000/$96,000) after complaining that he had been tried as an adult but had supposedly been a minor at the time of the rapes.

That’s poor.

Addiction to triggering is stifling debate.

So many people up for the fight, not the principle.

And the ‘I’m left/right and this is left/right so that should be my belief’

Excellent post. People engage these days just ‘because’. They speak because they’re allowed to have an ‘opinion’. There has never been a more ignorant and uneducated mass of people due to the fact they are allowed to speak. Unfortunately this leads to misinformation and falsehoods being circulated, social media perpetuating everything and providing a medium for transmission.

There are extremes at every end and on every side. Unfortunately Australia is really good at racism and making minorities feel persecuted because they believe in a particular religion.

A Swedish rape victim has expressed anger that a Syrian migrant who raped her has been given £70k ($96k) in damages by the Swedish state, while she received just £250 ($340).

The victim, a 42-year-old woman named Petra, was one of the victims of a Syrian migrant and his brother, who abducted and raped two women in the spring of 2017 in the city of Malmo.

She told the newspaper Expressen that the two men had entered her apartment in central Malmo during the middle of the day on March 19th of 2017 as she was resting in bed.

“Suddenly I had both men in the bedroom. I was woken by one of them screaming that I should lie down while the other spread my legs,” she said. Prosecutors say that the two Syrians raped her multiple times and beat her with punches and kicks to keep her quiet.

“They clearly threatened to kill me,” she said. “I ended up on the floor and there the violence continued. One of them also pointed some kind of gun at my head.”

After a time, both of the men left Petra’s apartment — but not before stealing her bank cards, her passport, and other belongings.

Following the arrest of the two Syrians, who had also locked up another woman in a basement for over 24 hours, Petra said she had to face them in a Swedish courtroom, where she says they laughed at her.

“I’m still going to a psychologist. I feel scared, don’t want to go out when it’s dark and cry a lot,” she said.

While Petra was awarded 225,000 Swedish kronor (£18,757/$25,552) in damages, she said she has only received 3,000 (£250/$340) so far.

One of the rapists, the younger of the brothers, was recently awarded 840,000 kronor by the Swedish state (£70,000/$96,000) after complaining that he had been tried as an adult but had supposedly been a minor at the time of the rapes.

Hire someone who will do...
.Dirty Deeds and there Done Dirtcheap. They may not smile after that ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back