Society/Culture Is professional womens sports outdated?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone wonder why professional womens and mens sports still exist and we dont just have open sports for all?

In the past it made sense because the thought of men tackling or pushing away a women just wasnt socially acceptable. Women simply werent allowed to compete with men regardless how good they were so we needed to give them their own code.

Now this is no longer the case and the only reason to have womens professional sport is because the majority arent competitive with the men. However, for the same reason we could argue there should be professional basketball for men shorter then 180cm, professional horse racing for people over 80 kg, 100m races for people with slow twitch muscles etc. I.e we could sub divide based on numerous genetic reasons that greatly limit a person from being the best person at their sport regardless of effort and training. And there is no end to how much sub division we could do because genetics is the main trait which defines how good at sport we are. Effort and training certainly helps but for most sports its genetics that is the overwhelming determinator of who is the best.

By creating genetic subdivisions in professional sport we create ridiculous scenarios where boxers try to make themselves worse at their sport by losing weight just to fit into a weight class. Or we debate what actually constitutes a women. Its not just naturally born women vs transgender women. But we are actually looking at things like hormone levels and putting in a line about what levels are women and what are not.

You might say its unfair to rule out these subdividisions. And if you do you clearly havent understood what is written above. I will put it more simply: Why do we give ridiculous money to the best shrimp at boxing even though there are hundreds and hundreds of boxers who are far better but dont get any money because they weigh more but suffer in other genetic traits that due to luck we simply dont sub divide.

When we bring in sub divisions we take away from the notion of who is the best. Lets get rid of men and womens professional sport (and weight divisions in boxing) and make profesional sport that is open to all. This results in less split of the fan base and gives greater meaning and prestige to the actual best sportspeople.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
I will put it more simply: Why do we give ridiculous money to the best shrimp at boxing even though there are hundreds and hundreds of boxers who are far better but dont get any money because they weigh more but suffer in other genetic traits that due to luck we simply dont sub divide.
But if you created infinite more subdivisions based on whichever genetic traits you are referring to then there would be less interest and less money anyway.

I don't think you thought this through very well.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is a vexing question that will always be difficult to resolve. How do we achieve true equality between men and women?

However I have a four point plan that will address this permanently:

1. Artificial wombs
2. Sex robots
3. Abolish women
4. Peace for all eternity

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Boxing isn't the only sport with weight divisions. Wrestling, judo, and some other martial arts have separate comps by weight. It's implicit that the bigger competitors would beat the smaller ones.

Most other sports are split by male/female. The obvious reason for this is that males are more physically capable. Feminists somehow manage to compartmentalise their equality agenda when looking at this issue to support that there should be different sporting categories for males and females. For example, the best female tennis player earns many millions of dollars a year but is not in the top 300 tennis players if you include both male and female. Is it discriminatory against men?

At a local level you see boys teams struggling for resources for many years then a club puts its hand up for the girls and hey presto the local politicians fall over themselves to throw in cash.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anthony Joshua fighting at middleweight:thumbsu:
In the old MMA days there were some comps with no weight classes. A little Japanese guy named Yuki Nakai fought 3 massive dudes in one night, despite being permanently blinded in his right eye in the first fight. Took down a couple of dudes twice his size. I won't imbed the video as mods may not appreciate that level of violence. Plenty of other examples on youtube.

I daresay boxing would be completely different.

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
In the old MMA days there were some comps with no weight classes. A little Japanese guy named Yuki Nakai fought 3 massive dudes in one night, despite being permanently blinded in his right eye in the first fight. Took down a couple of dudes twice his size. I won't imbed the video as mods may not appreciate that level of violence. Plenty of other examples on youtube.

I daresay boxing would be completely different.
Go back to UFC1
Royce Gracie who later fought at 170 pounds
Beat much bigger men
Now days no one would put a welterweight in with someone like Jon Jones

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Go back to UFC1
Royce Gracie who later fought at 170 pounds
Beat much bigger men
Now days no one would put a welterweight in with someone like Jon Jones
Royce was the GOAT. I think in MMA you can get away with being smaller but more agile and talented.

In boxing? People would probably just die. Hence Seed's attempt at a troll is lame. If anything, there should be more division. The most skilled basketballer I ever saw in my playing years was a small chinese guy. Untouchable. A comp for people < 6ft would be awesome.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Does anyone wonder why professional womens and mens sports still exist and we dont just have open sports for all?

In the past it made sense because the thought of men tackling or pushing away a women just wasnt socially acceptable. Women simply werent allowed to compete with men regardless how good they were so we needed to give them their own code.

Now this is no longer the case and the only reason to have womens professional sport is because the majority arent competitive with the men. However, for the same reason we could argue there should be professional basketball for men shorter then 180cm, professional horse racing for people over 80 kg, 100m races for people with slow twitch muscles etc. I.e we could sub divide based on numerous genetic reasons that greatly limit a person from being the best person at their sport regardless of effort and training. And there is no end to how much sub division we could do because genetics is the main trait which defines how good at sport we are. Effort and training certainly helps but for most sports its genetics that is the overwhelming determinator of who is the best.

By creating genetic subdivisions in professional sport we create ridiculous scenarios where boxers try to make themselves worse at their sport by losing weight just to fit into a weight class. Or we debate what actually constitutes a women. Its not just naturally born women vs transgender women. But we are actually looking at things like hormone levels and putting in a line about what levels are women and what are not.

You might say its unfair to rule out these subdividisions. And if you do you clearly havent understood what is written above. I will put it more simply: Why do we give ridiculous money to the best shrimp at boxing even though there are hundreds and hundreds of boxers who are far better but dont get any money because they weigh more but suffer in other genetic traits that due to luck we simply dont sub divide.

When we bring in sub divisions we take away from the notion of who is the best. Lets get rid of men and womens professional sport (and weight divisions in boxing) and make profesional sport that is open to all. This results in less split of the fan base and gives greater meaning and prestige to the actual best sportspeople.

Fox Sports and I dare say most of the public would not buy into this as a 80kg Jockey competing against similar bodies would be simply boring to watch in comparison to current horseracing.

The anology is interesting though.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
But if you created infinite more subdivisions based on whichever genetic traits you are referring to then there would be less interest and less money anyway.

I don't think you thought this through very well.

If there are no subdivisions then there is far more interest. I, along with many others, lost interest in WWE when they went from one heavy weight belt to multiple ones.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do you think they regulate testorone levels in athletes?

Because it's the best thing any athlete can have if they want to get bigger faster and stronger.

The male body is designed to produce it, the female body is not. Men will always win.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Fox Sports and I dare say most of the public would not buy into this as a 80kg Jockey competing against similar bodies would be simply boring to watch in comparison to current horseracing.

The anology is interesting though.

Exactly. Its boring. There is no presitge for being the best heavy jockey and the skill levels are worse as the horses are slower. The same argument can be made for lots of women sports. And some mens. Lets just have open competitions where everyone can compete if they are good enough.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
This is a vexing question that will always be difficult to resolve. How do we achieve true equality between men and women?

However I have a four point plan that will address this permanently:

1. Artificial wombs
2. Sex robots
3. Abolish women
4. Peace for all eternity

Its not vexing. Simply dont discriminate and seperate.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah but why not go further? Why disallow performance enhancing drugs? Having excellent genetics isn't fair - I can never have Gary Ablett Snr as my dad, for example. Level the playing field by allowed PEDs.
I dont want to level the playing field. I want to do the opposite. Sport is about celebrating genetic superiority. Lets embrace that.

Back