Is Ray Chamberlain the biggest Tool in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben cousins is my nomination.

how many of the senior umpires have played football at any level above junior?

umpires do need to have a rapport with the players and an understanding of what drives and affects the players - what we too often see is an inability to tweak umpiring to suit conditions or the style of the game being played.
this allied with a general willingness to insert themselves on the game early leads to dissatisfaction with them.

i believe that most supporters would be happy for umpires to umpire like they do in the closing stages of a close game when the whistles are put away unless the frees are glaringly obvious.

umpires do a hard and necessary job, without them there wouldn't be as good a game but the rules of football are intrepretative, a little fuzzy and not as black and white as they are presumed to be.

ray is an arseclown though.

one may say almost a tad of angry small man syndrome.

Ray is an excellent umpire and great man.

You must be an umpire mate or blind and deaf or all, excellent umpire, great man and Ray do NOT go together in the same sentence.
I had the honor???????? of being umpired by Ray here in Canberra and the bigger the stage the bigger the little man gets.
Now that he is on the biggest stage available he will get worse and worse, the game needs the umps but it doesn't need umpire personalities.

yeah was at the game ess v haw adn me and my mates were just waiting on the edge of our seats for his first holding the ball decision so we could see his swan impersonation...
gotta love the way he runs around with his chest puffed out like he is some kind of hero too...
p.s. much sarcasm

bad umpires will get their comeuppance

in 2004 justin schmitt was by far and away the worst umpire in the league in terms of looking to grandstand and impose himself on a contest and look where that got him

Stewy Dew told me a good story about Ray when he burst onto the scene in 2005. Stewy called Ray an 'oompa loompa' during a game and this obviously didnt go down too well. Prior to Ports next match which was against Hawthorn at AAMI stadium the umpires for that night were in the Port rooms and advised Stewy that Ray was most unhappy with the sledge. According to Stewy, Ray enjoys a vendetta and never gave him a favourable decision from then on.
I will also mention that Stewy reckons another AFL umpire was out in Melbourne one night and a couple of Port players were there. The drinks were flowing and from that day on they were well looked after.

Anyone who thinks AFL umpires dont change games or have bias is kidding themselves. They have become bigger than the game and the game is worse for it. I love it when they start running backwards "50, abuse". Get over it.

First time I saw him I thought " Whats Frodo doing umpiring footy " but upon reflection I think Frodo would do a better job.
As many people have already pointed out, the umpires are out there to umpire the game.
NOT - chit chat with players about what they can and can't do, that's basically cheating, if the player doesn't know the rules that's his fault and should learn by being penalised.
NOT - Run around making themselves the centre of attention by wearing load colourfull shirts, sunnies etc. Basic clothes for a basic job.
NOT - Be untouchable. I'm sick of umpires getting in bad positions and a player make accidental contact then get fined for going for the ball but the stupid, blind umpire gets in the way.

Yeah I'm a bit annoyed with the untouchable, can't be blamed for anything umpires, but not as much as I am with the guys that run the show. Yes you Dim and Ando.

As many people have already pointed out, the umpires are out there to umpire the game.
NOT - chit chat with players about what they can and can't do, that's basically cheating, if the player doesn't know the rules that's his fault and should learn by being penalised.
edit

Interesting point:thumbsu:

We shouldn't even know his name. These umpires think they are rock stars now that they have such a high profile. Take the numbers off their backs & make them wear masks to hide their identities. They should be just like the goal umpires - nameless drones - yes a neccesary part of the game but simply there to facilitate the game for the real stars - the players.

totally agree with you and the guy that started the thread.

get the microphones off them and insist that the tv commentators stop talking them up all the time.

there's a few common traits these famous umpires have - they pay too many frees, they pay way too many 50 metre penalties, they antagonise the players when they mouth off at them. they make a lot of mistakes and they seem to have huge egos and just interfere with the game. little weener ray is the new goldspink.

I know I'll cop a bit of a spray for this but he's actually a good fella. Played in a cricket premiership with him a few years back (he's a more than handy top order bat / keeper as well).

Let's face facts. BT and the boys at MMM made Ray what he is today, they did the same to Neon Leon who funilly enough, rates a fair mention whenever over rated players are mentioned. Even though it's a fair bit of tongue in cheek, some people take their commentry as gospel.

And remember, almost every decision that any umpire makes will upset half the crowd. It's just the way things go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

duno of hes the biggest tool, would have thought AA has that covered easily

but i know rays favourite word - GUTS!

he must have missed school the day that the word 'stomach' was taught

When do the umpires for this week come out? I'm hoping little Ray get either Richmond/Collingwood, Hawthorn/Brisbane or Melbourne/Dogs. I'm going to all these games and will be very disappointed if the oompa loompa doesn't show.

ROFL
Perhaps not the biggest tool but certainly one of the worst umpires out there. Bloody terrible. :thumbsdown:
The guy is a shocker. And what's the guarantee he'll ump the grand final. Can't stand most umpires, but Chamberlain is the pits. I wish a dingo would eat him.

GREAT TOPIC!!! I was thinking the same thing!
SHUT UP YOU LITTLE TWERP! Grant Denya or however u spell it lookalike!!!

And OX (Davis Schwarz) STOP CALLING HIM RAY RAY!!! He is not a celeb! These umpires need to shut up and say nothing. They are not the game, we do not need to give them exposure of any sorts. Yes they do a job and someones gotta do it but IGNORE them AFL and Media! Ever heard of the saying "less is more" umpires??? Less you do, the better!

If a player bowls the ump over, Broadcasters.. DO NOT SHOW THEM SQUINTING AS THEY TRY GET BACK ON THEIR TINY LITTLE FEET!

I've got it on pretty good authority that lil Ray wants to be the first official ever to umpire/referee in two different codes of football.

As someone earlier said, he is from up north, and he wants to umpire a particular number of AFL games, before he gets into reffing the NRL.

As he is from north, he knows all the rules and all that, I think he has his reffing license too.

I can't believe why he seems to one of the worst umpires ever. He's such a nice guy. He was teacher at my school (and i think he still is) and he's bit of a down to earth guy. Although arrogant and angry at times, he was a cheerful and funny short guy. I don't think he's bad, i just think he over looks the decsions.

The umpires profiles are only inflated by threads like this. If you stopped spending so much time posting about them on Footy Discussion Boards, your exposure to them would be cut by half.

Ray is umpiring AFL because he is a good umpire. You don't get to the top by being shithouse. Anyone who thinks different knows nothing about football.

how many of the senior umpires have played football at any level above junior?

Why should they have had to? Players should then all take umpiring courses so that they better understand the rules. If the players didn't eff up, you wouldn't have the need for umpires.

Goldspink is the biggest tool.

I found Chamberlain's comments funny, But they were to involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back