Club History Is Robbie Gray our greatest ever of the AFL period?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’s just behind Tredrea now. Premiership or not. That bit of play in the last quarter on the members wing where he found Marshall after some stunning ball handling was sublime. There’s another level of steeliness to him this year. He got smashed to the ground in the first quarter which should have been a free. He got up and was visibly limping and frustrated no free kick was given but got back to business.

Last edited:

I think Boak will overtake him, and then Butters will overtake Boak.

For now IMO Gray is our best ever, him and Boak have this two hit combo about them in big games. Kinda like good cop/bad cop in a way :3

Feel bad for Robbie, just when he was approaching the top Zak Butters comes in and takes the mantle.

Gray and Boak don't get ahead of Tredders and Wanganeen until they win a premiership, and even then its a maybe IMO.

Where were Boak and Gray when we had those yo-yo Hinkley seasons and couldn't get more than 14 wins in a season the 10-11-12 win seasons, and when expectations were high, they didn't deliver. To win 16,18,18 and 17 games in the minor round meant our greats in 2001-04 were delivering week in week out. Sure we stuffed up finals in 2002-03 but they learnt.

Tredrea still for me, even if robbie wins a premiership ... although if he gets best on ground in the granny then i may change my mind a bit

It’s weird, Gray was a mercurial player in a terrible team before his knee exploded, and then promptly returned as an absolute superstar (whoever did his reco should be the first port of call for every athlete needing one).

Tredrea was a superstar with dodgy knees (genetics) who managed to survive 2 or 3 previous dislocations without any long-term consequences before the final one cooked his patella tendon and reduced him to just an honest tall capable of fleeting former glory.

All told they’ve both had around half a decade at the very top, around another half as very valuable contributors, and then the meh-meh rookie/retirement years, with Gray’s true sunset yet to come.

• Both have 4 AA’s.
• Both have an AFLCA MVP.
• Both were robbed of Brownlows by an undeserving West Coast midfielder in years ending in ‘4’
• Warren has 4 B&F’s to Robbie’s 3
• Robbie has 5 Showdown Medals to Warren’s 1
• Warren is obviously a premiership captain, capping what was an incredible year for him
• Both are master facilitators who love a goal assist

It’s close, and Robbie is still at the crease.

Gray was getting us the 10-12 wins.
His boom year was 2014 we got 14 plus 2 final wins and he got us a lot of those ones. The other years he was doing his part but couldn't get us those wins in close games, especially at AO.

Gray and Boak don't get ahead of Tredders and Wanganeen until they win a premiership, and even then its a maybe IMO.

Where were Boak and Gray when we had those yo-yo Hinkley seasons and couldn't get more than 14 wins in a season the 10-11-12 win seasons, and when expectations were high, they didn't deliver. To win 16,18,18 and 17 games in the minor round meant our greats in 2001-04 were delivering week in week out. Sure we stuffed up finals in 2002-03 but they learnt.
In 2015-2019 I had Gray and Boak in the following spots in my votes.

2015: Gray 1st, Boak 4th
2016: Gray 1st, Boak 14th
2017: Gray 3rd, Boak 9th
2018: Gray 1st, Boak 6th
2019: Boak 1st, Gray 2nd

I don't have Gray ahead of Tredrea, but he's ahead of Wanganeen for mine. Boak would have been higher ranked if he wasn't put on the forward flank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have Gray ahead of Tredrea, but he's ahead of Wanganeen for mine

At this point, after nearly 25 years in the comp, Wanganeen slides back by default.

Yes he was still incredible in his time here, and if he played his entire career at Alberton he’d be the #1, but he didn’t.

It’s weird, Gray was a mercurial player in a terrible team before his knee exploded, and then promptly returned as an absolute superstar (whoever did his reco should be the first port of call for every athlete needing one).

Tredrea was a superstar with dodgy knees (genetics) who managed to survive 2 or 3 previous dislocations without any long-term consequences before the final one cooked his patella tendon and reduced him to just an honest tall capable of fleeting former glory.

All told they’ve both had around half a decade at the very top, around another half as very valuable contributors, and then the meh-meh rookie/retirement years, with Gray’s true sunset yet to come.

• Both have 4 AA’s.
• Both have an AFLCA MVP.
• Both were robbed of Brownlows by an undeserving West Coast midfielder in years ending in ‘4’
• Warren has 4 B&F’s to Robbie’s 3
• Robbie has 5 Showdown Medals to Warren’s 1
• Warren is obviously a premiership captain, capping what was an incredible year for him
• Both are master facilitators who love a goal assist

It’s close, and Robbie is still at the crease.

The other tie breaker (besides the premiership) that goes Tredrea's way is that he played and dominated the most difficult position on the ground.

His boom year was 2014 we got 14 plus 2 final wins and he got us a lot of those ones. The other years he was doing his part but couldn't get us those wins in close games, especially at AO.

I dont agree with what you're saying. It wasn't up to Gray to get the wins just like it wasn't Tredrea's or Wanganeen's job alone. Those guys were surrounded by exceptional players.

Robbie was still more than serviceable in those years, helped us limp to victory more than once and won multiple B&Fs. He also wasn't helped by a Hinkley-led dysfunctional forward line. As for Travis, well he was wasting away in the floating half-forward role that Hinkley invented just for him.

I dont agree with what you're saying. It wasn't up to Gray to get the wins just like it wasn't Tredrea's or Wanganeen's job alone. Those guys were surrounded by exceptional players.
Leaders lead on game day, and stand up when you need to win the close games.

Wanganeen did nothing, literally nothing for 3/4 in the 2004 Prelim Final. Yet in the last quarter he kicked 2 goals, one at the start of the quarter marked it within 10 seconds and was on his maximum limit at just outside 50m for his set shot and nailed it and then kicked probably the best goal I have seen live in the flesh, that only Wanga's could kick and ended up being the match winner.

We lose that PF and who knows how long the mental scares would have haunted the club.

When I do these sorts of lists, I put heavy weight on what people do and don't do in the big pressure tight games.

1. Wanganeen
2. Tredrea
3. Gray
4. Peter Burgoyne
5. Travis Boak

If we win the big one this year Gray goes up to 1 or 2 and Boak goes up at least 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back