Club History Is Robbie Gray our greatest ever of the AFL period?

Remove this Banner Ad

On the basis of sheer dominance, I think Tredders has it. He was untouchable in his position. Granted there were only 15 other CHF in the game, but it was the hardest position and he controlled it. He was 2 years below me at school so will always be a year 9 that I cleaned up one year in a scratch match.....

Boak is more the workhorse. love his focus and commitment and most importantly his leadership, but he is one of the least certain 35m out straight in front of goal and I think it is quite the tarnish on him.....still love his post snap goal celebrations....no better fist pump in the game

Gray has had a similar commanding impact on a game to what Tredders would and did it all with more flair. His ball handling and ability to weave and make defenders fall over around him make him stand out even more......and then winning games off his own boot (Carlton last year, St Kilda at AO, Freo Semi final) have him in second place.

Wanganeen I watched his first game of SANFL when I was 12, so hard to reflect without being super rosy coloured glasses and youthful adoration.

Tredders
Robbie
Boak

Not eligible : Wanganeen

I dont agree with what you're saying. It wasn't up to Gray to get the wins just like it wasn't Tredrea's or Wanganeen's job alone. Those guys were surrounded by exceptional players.
It's not their job alone to get the wins, but there's no doubt Tredrea has single handedly dragged Port (in the AFL) to more wins by sheer leadership/playing exceptionally, that would otherwise have been losses, then any other player, including Robbie. There's no such thing these days really as FF or CHF, more general KPF's, but when CHF was more a defined position it was the most important position on the ground IMO. Four times AA CHF during our most successful period in the AFL beats 4 times AA in any other position, where not all of those years were successes.

We lament Robbie not getting frees, but Tredrea had his output whilst he got as little love from the umpires AND almost always having two, often three players minding him. Robbie has rarely had to deal with that level of attention. Given Wanganeen wasn't at Port his whole career, Robbie is a clear second, but where he played, the opposition on him and the success he was responsible for more than any other player in our 2001-2004 period, leaves Tredrea a clear cut above for me.

1. Tredrea
2. R. Gray
3. Wanganeen
4. P. Burgoyne
5. C. Cornes

If we win a flag with Robbie and Trav then the list changes but until then this is how I see our top 5 looking. Chad was awesome for years and I don't think he gets mentioned enough in these discussions.

I'd put ChadBro above Señor Burger and I'd even have a gap between 3 and 4.

The other tie breaker (besides the premiership) that goes Tredrea's way is that he played and dominated the most difficult position on the ground.
IMO Robbie did at times as well, the most difficult position has just fluctuated over the years. He completely carried us in the early Hinkley years. We certainly asked a hell of a lot of Tredrea though, what a tremendous player.

I think the most similar now would be Houston or Boak or Dixon.

edit: maybe wines

Last edited:
IMO Gray overtakes Wanganeen, but it will take a Brownlow/Norm Smith award from Gray to overtake Tredrea.

Wanganeen's 91-96 was spent at Essendon, in which he picked up a Brownlow, premiership and 3 AAs, so we didn't really have him at his best, even though he was gun from 97-04.

Gray's performances in Showdowns has overtaken Tredrea and Wanganeen, he kicked 38 goals compared to their 30 and 24 tallies.

If we were to win a grand final with Robbie playing, I would be very confident in naming him our greatest player. I also think this would lift Boak up into the mix too. I could easily see Gray being the difference on Grand Final day. He's one of those players that plays well on big occasions and a Wanganeen-like performance in a GF would in my opinion put him clear at the top. As great as Tredders was, I still think his goal kicking let him down for a number of years. As great as he was, he could have been even better.

Our 3 young players in Rozee, Butters and Dhursma will be the ones we are talking about in 5-6 years time. All of those guys have put in big performances in big games. I think thats a major criteria when talking about who's the best.

Where is tribey Tredrea continually underrated, whilst active he was likened to Carey for influence. Now with father time he's behind everybody all and Sundry. Just a shame he only won one Grand Final. should have been a Brownlow medalist

Where is tribey Tredrea continually underrated, whilst active he was likened to Carey for influence. Now with father time he's behind everybody all and Sundry. Just a shame he only won one Grand Final. should have been a Brownlow medalist

Like when the AFL site itself had a would you rather between the great one and Scott Lucas? More disrespect I have never known.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WGT still our goat.

rob is easily in the convo for top 3.

some underrating i feel of C. Cornes. in my top 5 for sure.

If we were to win a grand final with Robbie playing, I would be very confident in naming him our greatest player. I also think this would lift Boak up into the mix too. I could easily see Gray being the difference on Grand Final day. He's one of those players that plays well on big occasions and a Wanganeen-like performance in a GF would in my opinion put him clear at the top. As great as Tredders was, I still think his goal kicking let him down for a number of years. As great as he was, he could have been even better.

Our 3 young players in Rozee, Butters and Dhursma will be the ones we are talking about in 5-6 years time. All of those guys have put in big performances in big games. I think thats a major criteria when talking about who's the best.
I have the same take when it comes to Travis Boak. If we get a premiership with this group his individual influence will be greater than any other single player in the history of the game, if he hadn't signed on after the Geelong cavalcade came marching into town we may never have left the bottom of the ladder and the entire club might be but a memory.

if you were going to select 1 player to play the best game they were ever capable of playing the top picks would be Gray, Tredrea, C Cornes, Wingard, Roger James, Primus, Lade (not in that particular order)

Recency bias is always going to cloud these discussions. For sheer accolades and service over the length and breadth of our AFL-era, only Gray is at his level, and it’s very close.

If Boak was to nab a 4th AA guernsey and touch wood, a flag, all three would be neck and neck, give or take a Showdown Medal, AFLCA MVP or Norm (🤞).

I still have Tredders number 1 but it's extremely close. Since this is a Robbie thread though I wanted to bring up this sequence from the Motlop showdown of 2018:

[ATTACHtype="full"]1113396[/ATTACH]

Just a dominant performance and the Crows had no idea how to stop him.

31524F97-6611-440B-8AC4-9346EE5EE460.jpeg
Lucky we have Robbie ‘The Pride of Colonel Light Gardens’ Gray, eh? 🤪

he was ok, but P Burgoyne should have won the medal, Byron finished off well with a couple of opportunities he had but over 4 quarters Burgoyne was better
Burgoyne had a blinder but check Byron's stats from the game- 3 goals, 2 goal assists, 3 rebound 50's, 9 inside 50's. Kicked two crucial goals in the first half when game was up for grabs. He was a deserving winner of the medal.

Burgoyne had a blinder but check Byron's stats from the game- 3 goals, 2 goal assists, 3 rebound 50's, 9 inside 50's. Kicked two crucial goals in the first half when game was up for grabs. He was a deserving winner of the medal.
like i said he was ok, his job was to sit on the outside and torch them when he got it but all round Peter was better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back