Club History Is Robbie Gray our greatest ever of the AFL period?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tredders for me, won plenty of games for us, never let us down, better than brown but for some reason is regularly overlooked across the border

Wangers 2nd

Gray 3rd

Chad 4th

Franco/Burgoyne/primus 5th

Tredders for me, won plenty of games for us, never let us down, better than brown but for some reason is regularly overlooked across the border

Wangers 2nd

Gray 3rd

Chad 4th

Recency bias for me perhaps, but don't see how people have Francou ahead of Boak. Same level at least.

Coin toss between Robbie and Tredders for me at this point.

Tredders with an extra BnF and Flag probably gets him across the line, another stellar season from Robbie and he might overtake Tredders.

Coin toss between Robbie and Tredders for me at this point.

Tredders with an extra BnF and Flag probably gets him across the line, another stellar season from Robbie and he might overtake Tredders.

Both were robbed of a Brownlow by undeserving West Coast midfielders during years ending in 4.

Both were robbed of a Brownlow by undeserving West Coast midfielders during years ending in 4.

Port Adelaide (123) d. Carlton (40)

1 vote, W. Tredrea: 19D/15M/6G

Brisbane (73) l. West Coast (87)

1 vote, C. Judd: 19D/6i50/1Clr

But tribes, they both got 19 touches in a win?!

Port Adelaide (123) d. Carlton (40)

1 vote, W. Tredrea: 19D/15M/6G

Brisbane (73) l. West Coast (87)

1 vote, C. Judd: 19D/6i50/1Clr

But tribes, they both got 19 touches in a win?!

They were showing a game on Fox Footy last night from the 90s between St Kilda and Sydney. The Saints won by 1 point with Plugger kicking 11.2.68 of that score. He got 2 votes.

Wangas was robbed in 03 roo got votes in the last showdown for 16 possies I think in a 6gl loss.
About Robbie he is right up there the knee injury then *en cancer and a top bloke to go with it.

Wangers 2nd

Gray 3rd

Chad 4th

Hard to argue with that

Recency bias for me perhaps, but don't see how people have Francou ahead of Boak. Same level at least.

Its hard to go past any Port Power player who was 3rd and 2nd in the Brownlow in consecutive years (2001, 2002). After that two consecutive knee reconstructions and a season cruelled by osteitus pubis effectively ended his career. It is worth considering what we might have achieved in 2003 and 2005 if the Primus/Francou combination had been fully fit for the whole season.

I'd have them close to equal nonetheless although all of our current squad are now going to have the asterisk next to their name for 2020 depending on what happens. Robbie and Boak both still in formidable form, but not getting any younger.

Its hard to go past any Port Power player who was 3rd and 2nd in the Brownlow in consecutive years (2001, 2002). After that two consecutive knee reconstructions and a season cruelled by osteitus pubis effectively ended his career. It is worth considering what we might have achieved in 2003 and 2005 if the Primus/Francou combination had been fully fit for the whole season.

I'd have them close to equal nonetheless although all of our current squad are now going to have the asterisk next to their name for 2020 depending on what happens. Robbie and Boak both still in formidable form, but not getting any younger.

what could have been if not for injury. What a smooth mover out of the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of how he's going? He looks to be struggling this year and appears quite sluggish. Hopefully it's just a small dip in form.

What do people think of how he's going? He looks to be struggling this year and appears quite sluggish. Hopefully it's just a small dip in form.

He still puts himself in good positions to score but his role is redundant when our talls are a lot better at playing forward now

I agree that midfield is his best position. Doesn't look like we're going to bother though.

He still puts himself in good positions to score but his role is redundant when our talls are a lot better at playing forward now

I agree that midfield is his best position. Doesn't look like we're going to bother though.
So far he looks a yard of pace slower than normal, and he's not quick as it is. I hope it's a case of he hasn't needed to play well because others are. I can't remember how much midfield time he had last night, but we could have used him more in there.

His footy IQ is still up there with the best in the game, but doesn't have the strength to win those 1v1 forward contests anymore. Needs to play further up the ground but unlikely to when Rockliff is in the team.

IMO Robbie is definitely carrying an injury that the club is not letting on to.

Look at the way Motlop is attacking the game this year compared to last. Last year Motlop was carrying a knee injury that only the club new about. He had an operation to get it sorted and the difference is massive.

Robbie needs to be left out of team to get himself over what ever injury he has. The club needs to take the long view, a fully fit Robbie ready gor when we play finals.

Strangely, I think his remaining games are best played in the midfield where he still finds space (although poor defensive cover) than forward where he is a shadow of himself in one-on-ones, plays behind his man and lacks the speed to chase out of defence or swoop on the loose ball.

Strangely, I think his remaining games are best played in the midfield where he still finds space (although poor defensive cover) than forward where he is a shadow of himself in one-on-ones, plays behind his man and lacks the speed to chase out of defence or swoop on the loose ball.
This is why I sometimes wonder if our coaches and players have s**t for brains.

Robbie has proved his greatest strength is winning the ball at stoppages. He has been freaky at it at times and ability to get his hands free and get the ball out when set upon by 1,2 or even 3 players. Yes he has kicked some wonderful goals both greatly skilled ones on the run or snaps and after taking some fantastic contested marks under pressure.

Look Macca19's list of who attended centre clearances in the game review thread. He never attended one in the 2nd quarter when we were being smashed in there and attended 3 in the third and won 1 of them, and the only others who won a centre clearance until Macca gave up late in the 3rd quarter, were Wines and Boak 1 each out of 10 and 14 attended, I think in that order.

That bloody game against WC in 2018 where we lost again after the siren where we defended grimly for 1 and a bit quarters with no Charlie, Ryder and Houston who all got injured in the 3rd quarter, after Lecras kicked the goal we were only 4 pts up and 40 seconds to go, we didn't put Robbie in the middle. And there was a secondary ball up and he was still stuck playing across the HBF. That was just rubbish where nobody had the brains to get the right man in the right place not once, but twice.

If Robbie is fit enough to be picked and cross the line, he is fit enough to play midfield, especially when we are in trouble and told to only worry about covering the 50m between the chf and chb lines of the square and the approx 135m from boundary to boundary. Dont worry about whether he puts on enough defensive pressure and having to run back and forth into defensive 50. Winning the clearance puts on plenty of defensive pressure.

Unfortunately Rockliff seems to have been given that type of role so we can't have 2 do it. If we are in trouble, Robbie does that role and if Rockliff has to spend 15 minutes at a time on the bench, then so be it.

Saturday night was the first night I ever said to myself “F**k he’s slow”. Hoping it’s just an injury. It was a moment when he had a one on one in our 50 and you could see it on his face he was worried about what would happen if he got the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back