Is Rockliff a good fit for Port?

Is Rocky a good fit at Port? Or, do they already have too many similar players?

• Good Fit

Votes: 65 68.4%
  • Poor Fit

Votes: 30 31.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well he being there will make Motlop a better player for sure because he will be less midfield. Motlop becomes the icing on the cake now so Rocky is a decent fit.

I wonder how he will fare with his 40 touch matches in a good side. A higher DE% for sure.

Boak, Wines, Grey, Powell-Pepper, Rockliff looks awesome on paper, but could be very slow combined together.

I think he'll be a good fit. It will work similar to how Sydney used to make it work with Hanneberry, Parker, Kennedy and Mitchell (although I don't think it will match that quality). Having too many inside ball winners doesn't tend to hurt you as much as having too many outside ones.

The good thing is that SPP and Wines aren't too slow - they aren't speedsters but they aren't real slow. Its when you have to carry 2 really slow players that you're midfield starts to have issues defensively.

Motlop also seems like the perfect guy to complement Rockcliff when you think attributes.

Port will be a stronger team for the changes they've made.

Boak, Wines, Grey, Powell-Pepper, Rockliff looks awesome on paper, but could be very slow combined together.
I guess thats why they got Motlop in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is what I'm worried about the most, as long as we draft a few outside mids who have some speed in the next 2 seasons It'll be okay I hope. Not sure if there are any of those type in this draft though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's safe to say Rockliff was a poor fit for Port. They have enough inside mids and it has ultimately forced SPP out of the side.

On another note, neither Watts or Motlop have proven anything beyond their inconsistency.

Poor recruiting really. Port needs to phase out Boak as he is useless as well.

Need some inside/outside mids which they have none of
POLEC%20Jared.png

He is purely outside
No, not really.

If you want to see what a 'purely outside' player looks like, look at Brad Hill's Contented Possessions / Uncontested Possessions from last year (the year he won his team's Best and Fairest). For instance, in Brad Hill's most contested game for the season he got '8 Contested Possessions, 17 Uncontested Possessions'. Hell, in one game he got '4 Contested Possessions, 29 Uncontested Possessions'. Basically, you'll struggle to find games from Brad Hill where his Uncontested Possessions aren't at least double his Contested Possessions. That's what a 'purely outside' player looks like. Nonetheless, you'd be remiss to say he wasn't a quality player considering those numbers are from a standout year from him.

reference: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Bradley_Hill.html#20170

In comparison, Jared Polec gets far more Contested Possesions, so using one game this year as an example, he managed to get '16 Contested Possessions, 10 Uncontested Possessions' in Round 12 against Richmond. In that game, Port Adelaide managed to beat Richmond - and Jared Polec received coach's votes for his pretty dominant performance in that game.

reference: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jared_Polec.html#20180

talk about a disappointment.

I thought at the time he was a massive pickup by Port but he has been very ordinary

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If it means anything, Redden's first two years at the eagles were woeful before he came good. Maybe he needs to get used to the environment and team chemistry before we judge him.

Back