Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are done with him and hope to see the back of him? WTF??? Yeah sure, why don't we get rid of our 2nd captain in two years and lose our best player in the process.

This is just yet another in a long list of ridiculous pot-shots at Rocky taken by what are meant to be our Club's supporters. What amazes me is the vitriol that is hurled at someone that has been incredibly passionate about the Club on the back of what amounts to a series of minor issues, half-truths, innuendo and downright rumour-mongering all combined together to ensure there is enough smoke to descend and cloud the senses of people that should have better judgements.

Ultimately it is about wanting the Lions to succeed, whether Rocky is there or not. But so many people here are just boxing at shadows that is virtually unbelievable. This is not how we turn our Club around - supporters need to man-up and be accountable for their actions, as our players, captain and coaches should be.

This thread has turned into a virtual character assassination fest with snippets of people claiming they 'know' what is going on, and others just piling on because they can see which way the wind is blowing. I mean really, we are 1 and 13, but to me this is just beyond the pale. All clubs have leaks, rumours, incidents, etc. - but they only really grow legs / become loud when you are travelling poorly onfield. There bay kernels of truths in some of these issues, but we all know how whispers soon turn into ridiculously exaggerated stories.

If social media was as big back in 1998 we all might have been calling for Voss to go. (Surprisingly it was reported somewhere recently that Voss may have been one of the key players linked to the ousting of John Northey, but there you go).

Anyway, until something comes out publicly to confirm otherwise, I see no reason why Lions supporters shouldn't get behind Rocky. He is not without his faults onfield or off-field, but the pot-shots being thrown at him by fair-weather friends does us collectively no favours.

So what exactly has Rocky done that is in the public sphere for supporters to get upset about:
- He has gotten the most out of his football abilities than arguably anyone on our list in the last 10 years.
- He has shown enormous passion for the Club at a time when it would have been far easier to walk away.
- He is honest and tells it like it is as someone from country Vic - too honest for his own good probably given these PC times and millennial 'centre of their own universe' babies that he know doubt has to deal with.
- He has been in our leadership group since 2011; Vice Captain under Browny in 2013 and then Jed in 2014; Captain in his own right for the last two years - that doesn't just happen. You have to earn the utmost respect of fellow players and the coaches to get to those positions.
- He has won the Merrett-Murray medal in 2011 and 2014 and was probably stiff not to win it on 1-2 other occasions. He also won the Marcus Ashcroft medal for most professional player in 2012.

As for his stats, the following is how he has faired since his debut in 2009 after coming out of the pre-season draft:
- 2010, averaged 22.8 disposals, 0.2 goals, 3.4 tackles and 2.2 clearances per game
- 2011, averaged 27.7 disposals, 0.6 goals, 5.4 tackles and 4.1 clearances per game
- 2012, averaged 24.4 disposals, 0.8 goals, 4.3 tackles and 4.2 clearances per game
- 2013, averaged 27.4 disposals, 0.3 goals, 5.1 tackles and 4.6 clearances per game
- 2014, averaged 32.7 disposals, 0.6 goals, 9.1 tackles and 6.4 clearances per game
- 2015, averaged 24.6 disposals, 0.3 goals, 8.1 tackles and 5.4 clearances per game
- 2016 has averaged so far 27.6 disposals, 0.6 goals, 6.9 tackles and 5.3 clearances per game - ranked number 1 at the Lions in average disposals and tackles and number 2 at the Lions (behind Mitch Robinson) in average clearances and contested possessions this year.

Now it is not all rosy onfield or off-field - onfield he has struggled a bit with injuries in recent times (though he has only missed 15 games in the last 3 years, which is a lot less than people assume - he has also only missed 21 games in the 7 seasons he has been playing regularly since the end of his debut year). He has definitely been handballing more than kicking in his last 25 games compared to before (usually he is about 50-50). In recent weeks he has also been chipping the ball backwards and sideways too much, which although it may be part of a direction of the coaches (as was admitted after the Carlton game), he like the team has taken it too far. Which doesn't help us given he also happens to be our most skilful kick over the distance 15-40m and our best decision maker during a game.

As for his off-field issues, all we have is a handful of minor incidents and snippets of rumours. We can all see that he has looked demoralised too much onfield in the last few weeks. It must be bloody hard to be captain of the Club at the moment - gee Leppa could be accused of the same exact thing if you watch him the coaches box during the games. But the Captain needs to rise above that and show a positive attitude to lead the way.

As for the incidents, all we have is:
- the contract talk, started by a too hones answer to Hammo at the Hall of Fame dinner after yet another dismal display by the Club onfield - this was then snow-balled into something much more than it really is;
- the Matho radio comment - again a little too honest, but if you listen to it and read the transcript there was absolutely no malicious in it whatsoever;
- there were unsubstantiated rumours that he may have clashed with Zorko last year when we were having an honest appraisal of how our leaders were going - I can believe that as both players would likely to be very passionate, but it is likely to be blown out of proportion. Incidents like this would happen all of the time.
- there are unsubstantiated rumours that he wanted Voss to go, which Rocky has always denied - though he admitted they were somewhat at odds about him playing forward instead of the midfield. I can absolutely believe Rocky and Voss clashed at times, as would Rocky and Leppa - he is honest with his opinions, it is just a matter of needing to find the right time and place to share them.

Of course there has been this overall whispering campaign for over a year that he is somehow 'divisive' or not good for the playing group. Almost everyone has heard different elements of it. And then there is now more selective leaking coming out of elements in the Club. Really all I say to that is grow the **** up.

I wouldn't trust anyone or their motives for leaking confidential information from the Club. It doesn't help anyone, least of all the Club. And the overall rumours are puerile in nature. No doubt there are kernels of truth in their - Rocky would be opinionated, fiercely competitive and demanding of the best from those around him. But I would rather that someone who is a soft yes-man.

Yeah there might have been other fairly minor incidents, but the fact that people have snow-balled them to try and damage Rocky is pretty bloody concerning. I mean imagine if it was Rocky that went out on the piss in China at the start of 2013 with his Vice Captain and rocked up to training drunk - no wait a second, it was the absolute Club legend Jonathan Brown himself with Simon Black. I mean lets not get precious about these minor things.

I am sure Rocky wants the best for our Club. Like any captain of the Lions - I will back him to nth degree. That doesn't mean he is perfect / without things that he needs to improve. He might also benefit by having co-captains around him (like Robbo and Zorko).

But unless something comes out publicly that proves he should go / is going, then I really don't see what all this pot-shot'ing crap is about. It is not helping rebuild our Club and is not putting us in a good light.
Yep

You are done with him and hope to see the back of him? WTF??? Yeah sure, why don't we get rid of our 2nd captain in two years and lose our best player in the process.

This is just yet another in a long list of ridiculous pot-shots at Rocky taken by what are meant to be our Club's supporters. What amazes me is the vitriol that is hurled at someone that has been incredibly passionate about the Club on the back of what amounts to a series of minor issues, half-truths, innuendo and downright rumour-mongering all combined together to ensure there is enough smoke to descend and cloud the senses of people that should have better judgements.

Ultimately it is about wanting the Lions to succeed, whether Rocky is there or not. But so many people here are just boxing at shadows that is virtually unbelievable. This is not how we turn our Club around - supporters need to man-up and be accountable for their actions, as our players, captain and coaches should be.

This thread has turned into a virtual character assassination fest with snippets of people claiming they 'know' what is going on, and others just piling on because they can see which way the wind is blowing. I mean really, we are 1 and 13, but to me this is just beyond the pale. All clubs have leaks, rumours, incidents, etc. - but they only really grow legs / become loud when you are travelling poorly onfield. There bay kernels of truths in some of these issues, but we all know how whispers soon turn into ridiculously exaggerated stories.

If social media was as big back in 1998 we all might have been calling for Voss to go. (Surprisingly it was reported somewhere recently that Voss may have been one of the key players linked to the ousting of John Northey, but there you go).

Anyway, until something comes out publicly to confirm otherwise, I see no reason why Lions supporters shouldn't get behind Rocky. He is not without his faults onfield or off-field, but the pot-shots being thrown at him by fair-weather friends does us collectively no favours.

So what exactly has Rocky done that is in the public sphere for supporters to get upset about:
- He has gotten the most out of his football abilities than arguably anyone on our list in the last 10 years.
- He has shown enormous passion for the Club at a time when it would have been far easier to walk away.
- He is honest and tells it like it is as someone from country Vic - too honest for his own good probably given these PC times and millennial 'centre of their own universe' babies that he know doubt has to deal with.
- He has been in our leadership group since 2011; Vice Captain under Browny in 2013 and then Jed in 2014; Captain in his own right for the last two years - that doesn't just happen. You have to earn the utmost respect of fellow players and the coaches to get to those positions.
- He has won the Merrett-Murray medal in 2011 and 2014 and was probably stiff not to win it on 1-2 other occasions. He also won the Marcus Ashcroft medal for most professional player in 2012.

As for his stats, the following is how he has faired since his debut in 2009 after coming out of the pre-season draft:
- 2010, averaged 22.8 disposals, 0.2 goals, 3.4 tackles and 2.2 clearances per game
- 2011, averaged 27.7 disposals, 0.6 goals, 5.4 tackles and 4.1 clearances per game
- 2012, averaged 24.4 disposals, 0.8 goals, 4.3 tackles and 4.2 clearances per game
- 2013, averaged 27.4 disposals, 0.3 goals, 5.1 tackles and 4.6 clearances per game
- 2014, averaged 32.7 disposals, 0.6 goals, 9.1 tackles and 6.4 clearances per game
- 2015, averaged 24.6 disposals, 0.3 goals, 8.1 tackles and 5.4 clearances per game
- 2016 has averaged so far 27.6 disposals, 0.6 goals, 6.9 tackles and 5.3 clearances per game - ranked number 1 at the Lions in average disposals and tackles and number 2 at the Lions (behind Mitch Robinson) in average clearances and contested possessions this year.

Now it is not all rosy onfield or off-field - onfield he has struggled a bit with injuries in recent times (though he has only missed 15 games in the last 3 years, which is a lot less than people assume - he has also only missed 21 games in the 7 seasons he has been playing regularly since the end of his debut year). He has definitely been handballing more than kicking in his last 25 games compared to before (usually he is about 50-50). In recent weeks he has also been chipping the ball backwards and sideways too much, which although it may be part of a direction of the coaches (as was admitted after the Carlton game), he like the team has taken it too far. Which doesn't help us given he also happens to be our most skilful kick over the distance 15-40m and our best decision maker during a game.

As for his off-field issues, all we have is a handful of minor incidents and snippets of rumours. We can all see that he has looked demoralised too much onfield in the last few weeks. It must be bloody hard to be captain of the Club at the moment - gee Leppa could be accused of the same exact thing if you watch him the coaches box during the games. But the Captain needs to rise above that and show a positive attitude to lead the way.

- the contract talk, started by a too hones answer to Hammo at the Hall of Fame dinner after yet another dismal display by the Club onfield - this was then snow-balled into something much more than it really is;
- the Matho radio comment - again a little too honest, but if you listen to it and read the transcript there was absolutely no malicious in it whatsoever;
- there were unsubstantiated rumours that he may have clashed with Zorko last year when we were having an honest appraisal of how our leaders were going - I can believe that as both players would likely to be very passionate, but it is likely to be blown out of proportion. Incidents like this would happen all of the time.
- there are unsubstantiated rumours that he wanted Voss to go, which Rocky has always denied - though he admitted they were somewhat at odds about him playing forward instead of the midfield. I can absolutely believe Rocky and Voss clashed at times, as would Rocky and Leppa - he is honest with his opinions, it is just a matter of needing to find the right time and place to share them.

Of course there has been this overall whispering campaign for over a year that he is somehow 'divisive' or not good for the playing group. Almost everyone has heard different elements of it. And then there is now more selective leaking coming out of elements in the Club. Really all I say to that is grow the **** up.

I wouldn't trust anyone or their motives for leaking confidential information from the Club. It doesn't help anyone, least of all the Club. And the overall rumours are puerile in nature. No doubt there are kernels of truth in their - Rocky would be opinionated, fiercely competitive and demanding of the best from those around him. But I would rather that someone who is a soft yes-man.

Yeah there might have been other fairly minor incidents, but the fact that people have snow-balled them to try and damage Rocky is pretty bloody concerning. I mean imagine if it was Rocky that went out on the piss in China at the start of 2013 with his Vice Captain and rocked up to training drunk - no wait a second, it was the absolute Club legend Jonathan Brown himself with Simon Black. I mean lets not get precious about these minor things.

I am sure Rocky wants the best for our Club. Like any captain of the Lions - I will back him to nth degree. That doesn't mean he is perfect / without things that he needs to improve. He might also benefit by having co-captains around him (like Robbo and Zorko).

But unless something comes out publicly that proves he should go / is going, then I really don't see what all this pot-shot'ing crap is about. It is not helping rebuild our Club and is not putting us in a good light.
Well said

Funny how people selectively believe the media when it suits their narrative. Personally I have no idea what has been happening but the amount of people writing off Rocky with minimal evidence is astounding. Really thought we weren't the club that eats their own but this thread is a real eye opener.

According to the article on the age website Rocky said he ain't going anywhere and that he'd be surprised if lewy goes.

Funny how people selectively believe the media when it suits their narrative. Personally I have no idea what has been happening but the amount of people writing off Rocky with minimal evidence is astounding. Really thought we weren't the club that eats their own but this thread is a real eye opener.

An unhappy man will find a million ways to justify the path he is on.

The one thing that Rocky says in that article that really strikes a chord with me is about players being asked questions and giving truthful answers.

Give a vanilla "yeah, nah, taking it one game at a time, expect it to be sorted soon, blah blah" and they get pilloried for not giving us anything.

Answer with anything resembling the truth and the media are jumping all over them, extrapolating, interpolating, rubbing their hands with glee and adding fuel on the flames of speculation.

Seems like players just can't win.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

EDIT: Already pretty much covered in the Media Alert Thread which I've now just read

Never mind...I'll take all the likes I can get;)

Last edited:

Well said. It's put up or shut up with this.

Good to see he is clamly stating he is commited.

I love the kid, cant believe I jumped on the hook with the turn againts him from supporters, even if only for a moment.

He is a lion through and through, imperfect yes, but someone I want to see sucseed at our club.

Cant believe the way people have turned on him as a scape goat at our club, truely has been mind boggling. Great post.

I love the kid, cant believe I jumped on the hook with the turn againts him from supporters, even if only for a moment.

He is a lion through and through, imperfect yes, but someone I want to see sucseed at our club.

You're a schmuck and you can't spell but I like you:):thumbsu:

Yep it takes mussels...rather than just going into his shell...and given our ladder position and a bit of a spat spreading.....guessing this could be classed as "on-bottom culture".... :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears he can't help but be completely honest 100% of the time, which in my own work experience is a quality that I greatly admire in a person. But it can cause them to be disliked amoungst the people not holding up high standards expected of professionals. And it can cause conflict. If that analogy holds I'd back Rocky 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back