Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears he can't help but be completely honest 100% of the time, which in my own work experience is a quality that I greatly admire in a person. But it can cause them to be disliked amoungst the people not holding up high standards expected of professionals. And it can cause conflict. If that analogy holds I'd back Rocky 100%.

If he was holding up those high, professional standards himself I'd agree. This is why I am disappointed.

If he was holding up those high, professional standards himself I'd agree. This is why I am disappointed.
Given what Rocky has come out and said during the last couple of days about wanting to hang around (and we know that's probably all he could say), are you still sticking to what you said the other day TBD? In that you'd be surprised if he's here??

Are the club aware of this?
Obviously the club wouldn't want to torch Rocky publicly as he is worth to much on the trade table...

You really need to extrapolate more on these responses of yours TBD. If there is more to tell....do tell. :)

Not here. Have shared more detail with some people in private who have also had interesting information.

In the context of this thread though... it asks if Rocky is the man for the job. I currently believe that he is not. I would like to see a captain who is painstakingly elite in the standards they set on and off the field. Actions, not just words. We have too much at stake with our youth oriented rebuild to allow current cultural issues and low standards to infect the next generation.

I'll move on from this now. Hoping as much as anyone that the situation improves.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised that players are re-signing fully knowing the lack of professionalism from Rocky and co.

Our young players are all class. Lambert has them bought in well and truly and all singing from the same hymn sheet. Can't wait for these guys to grow and take charge.

It sounds 50/50 as to whether Rocky will be with us next season but almost certainly won't be captain.

I wonder if it was the pressure of being captain of the most disadvantaged club in the past 5 or so years? Was the captaincy given to him to soon? The answer is probably yes to both of those but there is obviously a lot more to it.

I always felt like he was a Sam Mitchell kind of captain, wouldn't be our captain until he retired but would get 3-4 good years before someone else would take over. It's interesting that his performance from the outside as captain has noticeably been worse since he talked about seeking advice from Hodge and others to better himself.

As part of the bigfooty player sponsorship, a few years ago Rocky was one of the sponsored players and he ended up being the player that 'hosted' a friend and I for the night. I must have asked him a million questions and got a little bit drunk but he was a top bloke and I loved that we had a player like him at the club. I was pretty happy to have spent that time with him and then see him excel on the field and go on to be captain of the club. Hopefully those that know a bit of extra information are comfortable sharing it in the next few months.

Our young players are all class. Lambert has them bought in well and truly and all singing from the same hymn sheet. Can't wait for these guys to grow and take charge.

Lambert, maybe the most important person at our club.

It sounds 50/50 as to whether Rocky will be with us next season but almost certainly won't be captain.

A lot of big assumptions being made in that opening comment and in this thread in general.

It is surprising to me how much faith people are willing to put into a rumour campaign - regardless of whether there are elements of truth to it. I guess we will all have to wait and see how the issues around our Club play out. But ruling out Rocky from captaining the Club going forward on the basis of BigFooty rumours is 'jumping the shark' territory.

Not here. Have shared more detail with some people in private who have also had interesting information.

In the context of this thread though... it asks if Rocky is the man for the job. I currently believe that he is not. I would like to see a captain who is painstakingly elite in the standards they set on and off the field. Actions, not just words. We have too much at stake with our youth oriented rebuild to allow current cultural issues and low standards to infect the next generation.

I'll move on from this now. Hoping as much as anyone that the situation improves.

Then PM me :)

Hammo burns the club again. Hope there's nothing in it. If Rockliff is disenchanted after all our recent signings (and particularly if it's because of them like the article suggests) then I've misjudged him.
If Leppa was my coach I'd pack my bags

A lot of big assumptions being made in that opening comment and in this thread in general.

It is surprising to me how much faith people are willing to put into a rumour campaign - regardless of whether there are elements of truth to it. I guess we will all have to wait and see how the issues around our Club play out. But ruling out Rocky from captaining the Club going forward on the basis of BigFooty rumours is 'jumping the shark' territory.
Who would be a better captain?

According to the article he wants $4mill over 4 years.
I know from this board that some are happy to trade him. I'm not. He has been a passionate force believing in rebuild. Losing him will rip the confidence i have that team cohesion had improved. It might only be a perception, but he has been the centre piece of belief for so long now it would make it all seem like smoke and mirrors.
Having said that, $1mill a year for someone who has been injured for 18 months is a lot and 4 years is a long time. But talk of 750k for outsiders who are questionably a grade would be his starting point. Add captian value, loyalty value etc and the watch value grow.
I like Rock but he is no Pendlbry

4 million over 5 is too much for a player with Rockliff's limitations and who hasn't shown close to his best form for 18 months.

He is starting to grate on me. There is a lot of talk about how much he loves the club and that he'd die for it etc... time to back that up with action. He deserved to be well compensated but if he cares about the future of the club, he should break (rather than continue) the trend of players exploiting the exodus factor for over market value contracts.
He can get 40 ps and not damage the opposition. Not worth 4 million

The Rocky-Lambo run in could explain why Craig was so frustrated recently... I think Rocky's the heart & soul of the club and I would be shocked if he did leave. however, he would be well aware of what the likes of Rich and Beams are on and he probably expects to be compensated to a similar level
Like Rich but he has been over paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back