Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of us without direct access to players etc. can only go on what we read. This article quoting Peter Schwab certainly indicates that Merrett was looking at leaving the club... but remember it as you will!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-30/lion-looking-at-options

There's a complicated set of circumstances behind what Schwab said, and none of them involved Dan actually wanting or seeking a trade.

Media game from club and media speculation from random AFL journos can go hand in hand.

Just as one can read about Boards publicly backing coaches' futures and weeks later going back on that.

yeah I'm not so sure on that. If he stays and we don't make solid progress towards finals in the next 2-3 years, I can certainly see him leaving for some success at the end of his carreer - and loyalty or no loyalty, you can't blame him.
As much as we all watched Merrett's farewell speech for his loyalty etc., he did look for a trade a couple of years ago (and didn't find it) and certainly would have taken a trade to another club in search of some success.
Those of us without direct access to players etc. can only go on what we read. This article quoting Peter Schwab certainly indicates that Merrett was looking at leaving the club... but remember it as you will!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-30/lion-looking-at-options
Hold on, Schwab's quotes in this article directly contradict your point in bold that Jason responded to, don't they?

"A lot of interest came for Daniel and I think that sparked him a little bit," Schwab told SEN radio on Tuesday

"I know he is exploring some options so we'll just wait and see what Daniel comes up with, if he wants to be traded or not, and then we'll consider it depending on what offers we get."

So it sounds like it wasn't at all that he looked for a trade and couldn't find it, the exact opposite happened, other clubs wanted him and he decided to stick with the Lions.

Hold on, Schwab's quotes in this article directly contradict your point in bold that Jason responded to, don't they?

"A lot of interest came for Daniel and I think that sparked him a little bit," Schwab told SEN radio on Tuesday

"I know he is exploring some options so we'll just wait and see what Daniel comes up with, if he wants to be traded or not, and then we'll consider it depending on what offers we get."

So it sounds like it wasn't at all that he looked for a trade and couldn't find it, the exact opposite happened, other clubs wanted him and he decided to stick with the Lions.
I think you're picking at semantics in the use of language. I can phrase it differently in terms of "Merrett explored his trade options". Without any inside knowledge, the fact he looked into it suggests to me he was considering it. He may have stayed with the lions because of loyalty, he may have stayed because the "interest" didn't make it worthwhile to relocate, he may have stayed because the other clubs lost interest... or it may be a media beat up. To me, the fact he was "exploring options" indicates that if the club and offer had been right he may well have requested a trade.

I don't know anyone with football connections (I don't even live in Australia), so this is my recollection of the trade period 2 years ago based on the talk and media articles at the time. I'm happy to be wrong (actually I'm indifferent to being wrong or right!).

I think you're picking at semantics in the use of language. I can phrase it differently in terms of "Merrett explored his trade options". Without any inside knowledge, the fact he looked into it suggests to me he was considering it. He may have stayed with the lions because of loyalty, he may have stayed because the "interest" didn't make it worthwhile to relocate, he may have stayed because the other clubs lost interest... or it may be a media beat up. To me, the fact he was "exploring options" indicates that if the club and offer had been right he may well have requested a trade.

I don't know anyone with football connections (I don't even live in Australia), so this is my recollection of the trade period 2 years ago based on the talk and media articles at the time. I'm happy to be wrong (actually I'm indifferent to being wrong or right!).

'The fact he was exploring options' actually should read 'Schwab said he was exploring options'.

Media game from a left field and incorrect story - that trade period was an interesting one so distracting from other machinations was a good game.

Look out for a real Lion at our next home games, too.

'The fact he was exploring options' actually should read 'Schwab said he was exploring options'.

Media game from a left field and incorrect story - that trade period was an interesting one so distracting from other machinations was a good game.

Look out for a real Lion at our next home games, too.
Okay. Moving on now...

Don't agree with all points in that Andrew Stafford article but this part really hits a key issue with some of our senior players.

It is understandable that the Lions were desperate to stabilise the club after five young players walked out at the end of 2013. But in trying to mitigate the go-home factor, they have overcompensated in relation to a few players who have let them down – both with their performances on field and their attitude off it.

A knee jerk reaction to save face after the Go Home 5 put a few long term deals on the table that were probably 2 years too long.

is this so called attitude off the field of certain senior players backed up by anything other than rumor, innuendo and click bait?

is this so called attitude off the field of certain senior players backed up by anything other than rumor, innuendo and click bait?

Quite a few posters with strong Club connections have mentioned it. I'd also suggest that anything Staffo writes is absolutely not clickbait - the guy is a legit writer/journo whether you agree with the opinions or not.

Depends on the individual how they interpret it of course!

Quite a few posters with strong Club connections have mentioned it. I'd also suggest that anything Staffo writes is absolutely not clickbait - the guy is a legit writer/journo whether you agree with the opinions or not.

Depends on the individual how they interpret it of course!
if it is indeed fact the players must be moved on no matter who they are, whether Leppa is the coach or not would be irrelevant IMO.

I'd only trade Rocky if he does have off field issues and we can get a player in return on a long term deal that is equally as valuable for us on the field as rocky has been. No draft picks.

Had the radio (SEN) on while I pottered around, so not listening terribly hard but.......while talking about the Nth Melb. shock announcement of Harvey etc, they mentioned that there was talk of a big name to come in...

Rocky perhaps?

Had the radio (SEN) on while I pottered around, so not listening terribly hard but.......while talking about the Nth Melb. shock announcement of Harvey etc, they mentioned that there was talk of a big name to come in...

Rocky perhaps?
Perhaps the other Swallow brother?
It was reported earlier this year that he sought medical treatment from North's medico's after all his issue the last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a few names are being bandied around.

With Rocky building his house, he certainly wouldn't want to up and leave it unfinished.

If what Damian Barrett said is true and the interest in terms of $$$ hasn't come then I'd say if Rockliff leaves it won't necessarily be of his own volition.

If what Damian Barrett said is true and the interest in terms of $$$ hasn't come then I'd say if Rockliff leaves it won't necessarily be of his own volition.
I see what you did there

With Rocky building his house, he certainly wouldn't want to up and leave it unfinished.
Unforeseen circumstances may see him with no other choice if the club isn't willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth and he becomes disgruntled. I mean in his mind he'd probably be thinking, I have stuck by this club through some tough times, I'm the captain and I'm one of the clubs best players, if they aren't willing to pay me what I think I'm worth which is no more than what Dayne Beams is on I am better off seeking opportunities elsewhere. That is sort of understandable, however, he also needs to understand that the club is bigger than any one player and no matter how important he may think he is and no matter how much he thinks he is worth, all the club can and will do is what's best for the club. If what the Lions deem best for the club does not align with Rocky's wishes then perhaps departure in his mind is inevitable whether he has 1 house under construction in Brisbane or 3.

Rocky perhaps?
Big name. Rocky plays for Brisbane. We haven't had a big name since Browny retired.

Surely rocky would have enough cash in the bank to pay someone to build his house;)

Firstly would just like to say I have absolutely nothing to go on and not saying that it is something I want to happen but there is a mob down the road that have just lost two of their premier midfielders (couldn't get on the field though), will have a ridiculous amount of draft picks and you would assume a very large war chest. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked up the M1 and gave a call to Rocky's manager at least.

Edit: plus he would get to stay in his new mansion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back