Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly would just like to say I have absolutely nothing to go on and not saying that it is something I want to happen but there is a mob down the road that have just lost two of their premier midfielders (couldn't get on the field though), will have a ridiculous amount of draft picks and you would assume a very large war chest. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked up the M1 and gave a call to Rocky's manager at least.
That would give the next Q Clash some more spice!

Firstly would just like to say I have absolutely nothing to go on and not saying that it is something I want to happen but there is a mob down the road that have just lost two of their premier midfielders (couldn't get on the field though), will have a ridiculous amount of draft picks and you would assume a very large war chest. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked up the M1 and gave a call to Rocky's manager at least.

Edit: plus he would get to stay in his new mansion.
was thinking the same the the other day, they will have a plethora of 1st round draft picks (already have 2) eg. Rocky for a 5-10 pick and trade in Brendan Whitecross as an experienced replacement or maybe a younger type in cam ellis-yolmen.

Edit: plus he would get to stay in his new mansion.
From one struggling team to another (if they lose as many as being talked about this year will definately be in trouble next year). Why would he bother?

From one struggling team to another (if they lose as many as being talked about this year will definately be in trouble next year). Why would he bother?
$$$ and I don't see a struggling team down there, void of some on-field leadership, have a very good spine, I just think they fall down at the coal face and are way too reliant of Gaz in that part of the field. I honestly do feel for them as a fellow Qld team but where we got reamed for our 5 that left I can't see that happening to them for Prestia and O'Meara. If I was GC I would be using their top picks to attack other clubs and fix their midfield. (Again not saying I want it to happen to us).

I don't know how to post a story on here it is on the main AFL site, written on the 26/8
"Rockliff won't leave Lions" Daniel Merret speaking
Can anyone please do so, much appreciated.

He says he can't see Rockcliff Leaving and "Tom has been unbelievable" and goes on to say how much he has been under the pump and admires the way he has toughened it out .
Really good things about Rocky.
I'm going with Sauce with this one rather than outsiders saying this and that without descriptive evidence.
Poor leadership , what does that mean exactly, what has he done so bad.
Hope he stays and proves the negative stuff coming out is probably frustration of where the club is and the route it has been on.

As I said could someone please paste this story on , it is on the main AFL site .
Click on more news.
Cheers.

I don't know how to post a story on here it is on the main AFL site, written on the 26/8
"Rockliff won't leave Lions" Daniel Merret speaking
Can anyone please do so, much appreciated.

He says he can't see Rockcliff Leaving and "Tom has been unbelievable" and goes on to say how much he has been under the pump and admires the way he has toughened it out .
Really good things about Rocky.
I'm going with Sauce with this one rather than outsiders saying this and that without descriptive evidence.
Poor leadership , what does that mean exactly, what has he done so bad.
Hope he stays and proves the negative stuff coming out is probably frustration of where the club is and the route it has been on.

As I said could someone please paste this story on , it is on the main AFL site .
Click on more news.
Cheers.
There is much to be said for both sides, as they say in the classics.

Damian Barrett has detailed the negative effects of Brisbane leader Tom Rockliff's divisive captaincy.

Barrett suggested Rockliff's challenging leadership style hadn't been received well at the struggling Lions, who perhaps confront the sccenario of both their captain and coach facing the chop.

"For two years in a row, he's caused problems with teammates," he said on the Saturday Rub.

"There were certain people at that football club, Justin Leppitsch included, who were happy for him to rub up teammates the wrong way.

"He feels he's doing the right thing. He's a divisive character, he was initially encouraged to be divisive."

But he says Rockliff's style of captaincy hasn't worked.

"It's gone too far, he himself is now regretful of some of that," he said.

"I don't see him being captain under the new arrangement. I think he's had it now and he's not up to it - in a club that's struggling, I don't know who would be, by the way."

Barrett did express some sympathy for the 26-year-old.

"I just think he's been in an awkward situation," he said. "I do have a bit of sympathy for him."

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...-rockliff-has-caused-problems-with-teammates/

Damian Barrett has detailed the negative effects of Brisbane leader Tom Rockliff's divisive captaincy.

Barrett suggested Rockliff's challenging leadership style hadn't been received well at the struggling Lions, who perhaps confront the sccenario of both their captain and coach facing the chop.

"For two years in a row, he's caused problems with teammates," he said on the Saturday Rub.

"There were certain people at that football club, Justin Leppitsch included, who were happy for him to rub up teammates the wrong way.

"He feels he's doing the right thing. He's a divisive character, he was initially encouraged to be divisive."

But he says Rockliff's style of captaincy hasn't worked.

"It's gone too far, he himself is now regretful of some of that," he said.

"I don't see him being captain under the new arrangement. I think he's had it now and he's not up to it - in a club that's struggling, I don't know who would be, by the way."

Barrett did express some sympathy for the 26-year-old.

"I just think he's been in an awkward situation," he said. "I do have a bit of sympathy for him."

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...-rockliff-has-caused-problems-with-teammates/
been a few stories re Rockys leadership style, but a Damian Barrett one doesn't convince me to put any more validity in them one way or the other, sounds like he has been reading BF.

been a few stories re Rockys leadership style, but a Damian Barrett one doesn't convince me to put any more validity in them one way or the other, sounds like he has been reading BF.

You don't trust the brilliant analytical mind who writes those insightful Sliding Doors articles implicitly?

That was at the beginning of last year wasn't it? Rocky may have changed his approach after he was appointed skipper.
Isn't it done every year. I thought that would be the process. Start of every year a player gets voted in. I most likely might be wrong.

Cant see rocky changing TBH. I wonder how Voss would be perceived in this team as captain. Half of these pre-madonnas wouldnt leave their room they would be too scared to go to training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a tough one, enough different sources suggest not the man for the job. Would he want to stay if not captain?

it is going to be an interesting few days coming up re Rocky, Leppa and the broader coaching group. i wonder how fast all this pans out?

Thats my thoughts. Will it be tomorrow. Will it be a months time.
i am thinking the Leppa decision well be in the next day or 2 and then the chatter re potential high profile trade outs will be on in earnest until the trade period in early october.

new coaching assistant announcements will be made over the next few weeks IMO.

Isn't it done every year. I thought that would be the process. Start of every year a player gets voted in. I most likely might be wrong.

Cant see rocky changing TBH. I wonder how Voss would be perceived in this team as captain. Half of these pre-madonnas wouldnt leave their room they would be too scared to go to training.

Beautiful!

Wouldn't think so would be a big hit to his arrogance.
If he through his toys out and had a sulk , that would be pretty bad form .
I'd hope he was prepared to step down if required, and take it like a team player. He could be a better player/person without the burden of having all these failings happening as captain, and a good dose of humility as well doesn't hurt anybody.

Bit confusing to be honest.
Is he a guy just caught up with the clubs bad circumstances .
Or is he a big part of that problem.
I'm happy for the club to do whatever is best to all concerned, saying that Rocky's one guy I thought would never be leaving on bad terms.

Wonder what leadership training he has been given. I know he took himself off to talk to Mark Bouris which is a worry in itself.

Wonder what leadership training he has been given. I know he took himself off to talk to Mark Bouris which is a worry in itself.
Worry - I rate that as a positive. Rocky has always been about making himself the best he can, an I am prepared to back him on embracing his captaincy the same way. He knows he has criticisism. He will not walk away, but make positive efforts to improve his performance.

Worry - I rate that as a positive. Rocky has always been about making himself the best he can, an I am prepared to back him on embracing his captaincy the same way. He knows he has criticisism. He will not walk away, but make positive efforts to improve his performance.
I have personal experience with Bouris, hence my comment

Wonder which players are upset with him. Listening to sauce the other day who is in the leadership group I doubt there would be many.

Cmon Damo, make your mind up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back