Analysis Is September calling?

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to make this September count because a chance like this with our ladder position won’t come along again very soon. We will be having retirements and form dropping off of older players which we are already seeing. Mitchell, Adams, Howe and yes even Pendles. To be honest we don’t have a lot breaking the door down to replace them. Or at least we are not blooding them to have a look. Ryan and Allen in particular as well as Finn. I think it’s vital we hang on to him.
I’m not confident re our September chances, I hope for the best and seeing how the ladder is going anyone could get on a roll and do a dogs 2016, it’s just crazy atm. Our top spot Is helped by port losing, getting those early season wins has helped.
Have to agree with this

Last season was a blown chance. Same as this year there’s no standout team. Need to make it count before our older players move on. Apart from Daicos we don’t have a great deal of young talent

Not according to Fly.

He mentioned in the presser that we prepped as good as ever for yesterdays game.

I seriously doubt the players are dropping off mentally and thinking finals, that would've been drummed into them by the coaches.
You must have missed the part in which Fly spoke about the game being played about the shoulders.

That doesn't equate to the players not focusing, as Fly said they prepped as normal for the upcoming game like always, unless you think he's lying. I doubt that.
I don’t think he’s lying. Just pointing out that he also pondered the mental aspect of the game.

We are down on form but capable of playing at a much higher level. Get back to that and we will win.

I don’t think he’s lying. Just pointing out that he also pondered the mental aspect of the game.

We are down on form but capable of playing at a much higher level. Get back to that and we will win.
But you're not telling us how, it's not just case of 'oh let's do better today', there is an opposition to defeat. Not sure how we do that.

Seems you don't have an answer either, just hoping.

Hoping and Collingwood rarely works out well.

But you're not telling us how, it's not just case of 'oh let's do better today', there is an opposition to defeat. Not sure how we do that.

Re-watch our 16 wins this year and you will have your answer.
We don’t need to change anything.

Our best is the best.

It is ridiculous to call it excuse making. It is perfectly reasonable to look at the mental side of things when a top side who has been on top and two or three games clear for a long time to lose the mental edge which got them there.

We are not flirting with form. It's not a choice. It's what happens in elite sport when one team has been up for a long time with what feels like an unassailable position.

Yes, we might now be in a trough and it's hard to turn things around but the coach believes it is a mental problem and he is an honest, straight shooter.

Didn’t Geelong - the oldest team in the comp, literally end the season winning 16 in a row or something?

Re-watch our 16 wins this year and you will have your answer.
We don’t need to change anything.

Our best is the best.
Playing a half qt here and another qt won't win finals, we'll need to play our best all game.

Ironically our game style is highly taxing and extremely difficult to execute all game, let alone week in week out.

That's why in our 16 wins we've been patchy, can't sustain ideal game, but will need to in finals.:shrug:

Playing a half qt here and another qt won't win finals, we'll need to play our best all game.

Ironically our game style is highly taxing and extremely difficult to execute all game, let alone week in week out.

That's why in our 16 wins we've been patchy, can't sustain ideal game, but will need to in finals.:shrug:
I hear a lot of couch spuds like you and I talk about the highly taxing game style.

Don’t see too many players complain about it.

It’s pretty simple. Play at the level we are capable of, and we win.

And for the record, I expect us to win the flag. This year.

I hear a lot of couch spuds like you and I talk about the highly taxing game style.

Don’t see too many players complain about it.

It’s pretty simple. Play at the level we are capable of, and we win.

And for the record, I expect us to win the flag. This year.
Now now Jmac, no need for sniping.

I hope you're right about our game style is sustainable game long, I doubt it, further backed by evidence we haven't seen a full ideal game since rd 2, and the only game this year.

I'm gonna go your route, just hope like crazy.

Now now Jmac, no need for sniping.

I hope you're right about our game style is sustainable game long, I doubt it, further backed by evidence we haven't seen a full ideal game since rd 2, and the only game this year.

I'm gonna go your route, just hope like crazy.
Two games clear on top after 21 rounds.

Crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we need to remedy a few things if we're to figure in September.
  • CC and ground ball, we're last, up to rd 10 we were 1st in ground ball.
  • Transition, the oppo are now closing space and creating turnover on our run game
  • Forward entries, rarely did we have an efficient i50 yesterday, in part due to the above bullet point.
The dorks and the blose managed point 2 to perfection, that was our one wood, how do we get it back?

Points 1 and 3, not sure why, and not sure there is an answer but not confidently hoping our boys can win in these areas again. Fingers crossed.

We have 3 tough games coming up (we could easily drop all 3 at this rate) and then need to mentally prepare and get up for finals which will be even tougher.

How badly do we want it? Can we bring our mental toughness and A game from here on out and especially now without one of our best players?

Interesting times ahead. Will be pretty disappointed if we manage to screw it all up when it matters considering we’ve had such a great year and look so promising.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

You are digging for answers that obviously no one can give. We've played OK throughout the year, just OK to be actually on top for the most (with a couple games gap)... not bad hey.

Not playing as well over recent weeks, one could infer a) other teams worked out our style; b) tiredness/fatigue; c) a change of attitude.

Work out the problem, find solutions.... way above pay scales her, including you.

You appear determined that we have no hope, well if thats your belief.. go sulk at a pub or something

You are digging for answers that obviously no one can give. We've played OK throughout the year, just OK to be actually on top for the most (with a couple games gap)... not bad hey.

Not playing as well over recent weeks, one could infer a) other teams worked out our style; b) tiredness/fatigue; c) a change of attitude.

Work out the problem, find solutions.... way above pay scales her, including you.

You appear determined that we have no hope, well if thats your belief.. go sulk at a pub or something
That's a little unfair Leon (would be nice to have another Leon aside Bobby btw).

I'm just struggling to see what the answers are, but you're probably right, none us will know. Only the mc and the playing group will know.

Hoping like crazy we can turn it around, at the minute looks we're up against it.

That's a little unfair Leon (would be nice to have another Leon aside Bobby btw).

I'm just struggling to see what the answers are, but you're probably right, none us will know. Only the mc and the playing group will know.

Hoping like crazy we can turn it around, at the minute looks we're up against it.
Im in Perth next week Caringbush, if we don't beat those feral alley cats next week, my shout at the Brass Monkey and I'll be then sulking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back