Analysis Is September calling?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear a lot of couch spuds like you and I talk about the highly taxing game style.

Don’t see too many players complain about it.

It’s pretty simple. Play at the level we are capable of, and we win.

And for the record, I expect us to win the flag. This year.
Love your optimism jmac70 and I agree with you.
We aren't 2 games clear on top of the ladder by fluke.
Forget our ladder position Pies and just come out Friday night and play like our season depends on it...

Flirting with form as a concept needs unpacking. In our case, where we run over teams in a quarter, form or if you like our game plan kicks in at a specific point in a match. We go to another gear. Reserving that gear for September, does that mean we could lose it altogether.and what is this form ultimately, playing with greater intensity and speed? Should we just keep showcasing our strengths? It's a marathon but everyone wants it run like it's a 400 metre race.
This is why our game plan is an achilles heel, it's not sustainable game long, let alone week in week out.

As much as our game is very difficult to defeat, it's equally taxing and difficult to execute. Not to mention it seems other teams are able to dismantle our game plan.

If our form slump is due to a deliberate drop off to conserve for finals then that's not the way to be going in the last month of h&a footy.

Yeah ok, can't go 10 tenths all game every game but it's a difficult balance to drop off a little and still keep form. Looks to me just that 1% off and we're exposed and can't find that extra gear you talk about.

I'm praying like crazy that this is the cause, combined with illness and training loads, because then it's at least fixable with intent.

So we need to remedy a few things if we're to figure in September.
  • CC and ground ball, we're last, up to rd 10 we were 1st in ground ball.
  • Transition, the oppo are now closing space and creating turnover on our run game
  • Forward entries, rarely did we have an efficient i50 yesterday, in part due to the above bullet point.
The dorks and the blose managed point 2 to perfection, that was our one wood, how do we get it back?

Points 1 and 3, not sure why, and not sure there is an answer but not confidently hoping our boys can win in these areas again. Fingers crossed.
If we solve point 1, the other 2 will take care of themselves

This is why our game plan is an achilles heel, it's not sustainable game long, let alone week in week out.

As much as our game is very difficult to defeat, it's equally taxing and difficult to execute. Not to mention it seems other teams are able to dismantle our game plan.

If our form slump is due to a deliberate drop off to conserve for finals then that's not the way to be going in the last month of h&a footy.

Yeah ok, can't go 10 tenths all game every game but it's a difficult balance to drop off a little and still keep form. Looks to me just that 1% off and we're exposed and can't find that extra gear you talk about.

I'm praying like crazy that this is the cause, combined with illness and training loads, because then it's at least fixable with intent.
Yet our game plan has been the most sustained of all games in the comp. at this very moment. I suppose the Blues were just pacing themselves?

Yet our game plan has been the most sustained of all games in the comp. at this very moment. I suppose the Blues were just pacing themselves?
Most sustained? We haven't played a four qt games since rd 2 Dommie, closest since was the GC game.

We've played by and large the whole season of a qt here or a qt there, enough to get the job done.

There's no way known ANY team in the comp could play our style all game, certainly not week in week out. It's uber high intensity and allows the oppo in IF we fumble in transition and turnover (due to the oppo using their own close space game on us in the last two weeks)

I can only surmise the panel and the mc have deliberately 'managed' the whole season this way by instructing the group of when to tempo the footy game and that has led to other teams being able to stifle our transition, compounded by our lack of close space without ball in the last two games.

Not sure if that's flirting with form (I'd hope not), heavy training load (Jen says not likely), illness, between the ears or a combination of all.

Hopefully we can 'flick the switch', history rarely has shown us that flicking the switch comes to fruition.

Most sustained? We haven't played a four qt games since rd 2 Dommie, closest since was the GC game.

We've played by and large the whole season of a qt here or a qt there, enough to get the job done.

There's no way known ANY team in the comp could play our style all game, certainly not week in week out. It's uber high intensity and allows the oppo in IF we fumble in transition and turnover (due to the oppo using their own close space game on us in the last two weeks)

I can only surmise the panel and the mc have deliberately 'managed' the whole season this way by instructing the group of when to tempo the footy game and that has led to other teams being able to stifle our transition, compounded by our lack of close space without ball in the last two games.

Not sure if that's flirting with form (I'd hope not), heavy training load (Jen says not likely), illness, between the ears or a combination of all.

Hopefully we can 'flick the switch', history rarely has shown us that flicking the switch comes to fruition.
We have 16 wins with 3 games to play.
Our game plan works just fine.

I am not too concerned re the drop off in form. I don't see that being something that cant be recovered. The injuries to Nick and Murph are more worrying. Especially Nick, we cant replace what he offers so will have to rejig things.

It's also a reality check. The hype around Collingwood had got a bit out of control for mine. While I thought we were slightly favoured ahead of the other top 4 sides until recently we are now back to even or a little behind. Its a very even season and I dont think there is a standout team. Doggies are one to watch also. I think their list is the equal of any and Bevo has been the coach who has best managed the new advantage the finals bye has given teams over the QF winners. A GF from 5th and a flag from 7th in the last 7 seasons suggests he knows how to peak.

That's Fly's task. We have got ourselves into a roughly 4:1 chance position. That's great, reality says there is considerably more chance we don't win a flag than we do and that applies to our opponents also. Our coaches need to get us up and about in Sept to maximise the chance we have. I dont think that has changed much in the last few weeks. Hope we can execute

Anyone remember last season when we played terribly against the Tigers, Dogs and lost to West Coast in Melbourne? Media and fans are fickle.

Yes, we have been playing crap but let's be honest the other teams in the top 4 are not exactly setting the world on fire.

What I have seen in the last 2 weeks if effort based. You can over anaylise the game as much as you want and talk about ground ball gets, goals from rebound etc etc etc(Thanks kingy) but when you lose centre clearance 18 to 3, get smashed in contested footy and uncontested footy you won't beat Preston 3rds.

I get the impression our boys are just waiting for the finals to come around. It's hard to be up all year. I could be wrong but when the top 4 which is more or less locked in are all in the worst form, they have been in all year it's a case of struggling to stay motivated for the entire season. I reckon the top 4 will be a fair way ahead of the rest come finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course the players are already thinking about September. We all are.

I even got complacent last week and considered watching the game the next morning rather than staying up for the 2:35am start time where I am cos I though it'd be any easy win. I should've learned by now is the one thing we should never, ever do as Collingwood supporters lest we taunt the footy gods to lay their wrath upon us once again.

This team has shown so much belief with all the amazing comeback wins over the past 2 years that I think they've got enough credit that we can expect them to lift mentally and get back to something near their best.

Anyone remember last season when we played terribly against the Tigers, Dogs and lost to West Coast in Melbourne? Media and fans are fickle.

Yes, we have been playing crap but let's be honest the other teams in the top 4 are not exactly setting the world on fire.

What I have seen in the last 2 weeks if effort based. You can over anaylise the game as much as you want and talk about ground ball gets, goals from rebound etc etc etc(Thanks kingy) but when you lose centre clearance 18 to 3, get smashed in contested footy and uncontested footy you won't beat Preston 3rds.

I get the impression our boys are just waiting for the finals to come around. It's hard to be up all year. I could be wrong but when the top 4 which is more or less locked in are all in the worst form, they have been in all year it's a case of struggling to stay motivated for the entire season. I reckon the top 4 will be a fair way ahead of the rest come finals time.
We shouldn't be doing this, if we are doing this it would explain the drop off in form, however it is flirting with form and that is a recipe for disaster.

I also doubt the coaches would willingly allow the playing group to entertain this kinda thinking, but I could be wrong. Or we could just be gassed, IDK.

Only a couple of teams have lost more than 1 game in the last 4 weeks in the past 20 years or so (not sure exactly but it is a while) and won the flag, something like that!! It is one of those stats you don't want to be on the wrong side of coming into finals.
All these stats floating around assume one thing—that each season is the same. They’re not.

Collingwood was the first team since St Kilda 2009 to be 2+ games clear on top of the ladder with 5 games to play. We are also the first team to be mathematically 100% assured of a top 4 finish at the same point since 2009.

We literally haven’t seen a team with this much breathing room in over a decade. I’m backing us to hit form when it matters.

All these stats floating around assume one thing—that each season is the same. They’re not.

Collingwood was the first team since St Kilda 2009 to be 2+ games clear on top of the ladder with 5 games to play. We are also the first team to be mathematically 100% assured of a top 4 finish at the same point since 2009.

We literally haven’t seen a team with this much breathing room in over a decade. I’m backing us to hit form when it matters.
Agree 100%

This is what I love about BigFooty.

In despair after Saturday, making doomsday posts on here, not watching any footy shows or listening to any ‘experts’, and just generally being grumpy.

And then I read some considered and balanced posts, from those who are not panicking, and I think…ok.

Feeling better already, and now I’m looking forward to Friday.👍

Last edited:
Of course the players are already thinking about September. We all are.

I even got complacent last week and considered watching the game the next morning rather than staying up for the 2:35am start time where I am cos I though it'd be any easy win. I should've learned by now is the one thing we should never, ever do as Collingwood supporters lest we taunt the footy gods to lay their wrath upon us once again.

This team has shown so much belief with all the amazing comeback wins over the past 2 years that I think they've got enough credit that we can expect them to lift mentally and get back to something near their best.

Are you in the States as well ?
I did the same thing 😂

That was our mo since Fly stepped in, expect the win of possession at either stoppage or turnover (close space without ball)
Yes and No - the MO was to outnumber, win the ground ball, and give off.
Now opponents are matching the out number, and we are prematurely running fwd despite lower odds of winning the contest.

Yes and No - the MO was to outnumber, win the ground ball, and give off.
Now opponents are matching the out number, and we are prematurely running fwd despite lower odds of winning the contest.
Yep, pretty much we're not closing space without ball.

Regardless, if we win ball we need players forward of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back