Is Shaun Burgoyne like Hawthorns Enright?

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely a poor crowd.

I dont get the configuration of the MCG though.

Why did Hawthorn come out of their race right next to the Adelaide stand? Sure the members are on the other side, but there were about 12 of them last night.

Adelaide fans got a beautiful close up of Hawthorn legends from 78 88 08.

Burgoyne got chaired off...in front of Adelaide fans.

Why wouldnt they put the home crowd up the other end?

Shaun is massively, epically overrated now. Should have been the equal of Ablett/Judd etc but instead was happy hiding on a half back flank being Hawthorn’s 13th best player. Good on him, great team man clearly. But from an *individual* standpoint it shouldn’t be forgotten that has been a wasted talent in a lot of respects. Enright got 100% out of himself so there isn’t really any comparison.

Shaun is massively, epically overrated now. Should have been the equal of Ablett/Judd etc but instead was happy hiding on a half back flank being Hawthorn’s 13th best player. Good on him, great team man clearly. But from an *individual* standpoint it shouldn’t be forgotten that has been a wasted talent in a lot of respects. Enright got 100% out of himself so there isn’t really any comparison.

lol

I remember burgoyne getting towelled up like a wet paper bag at the peak of his career in the 2007 gf. It was the turning point in his career in which he never became the star we all thought he was destined to be. Instead he became a cameo player.
Maybe you were too busy fapping over the margin to actually watch?

Shaun was one of the few Port players that wasn't completely disgraced on the day. More tackles than any other Port player, and their equal highest goal scorer with 2 goals (along with Tredrea).

Shaun would have been a bigger star if his knee didn't require his time in the middle to be managed over a large part of his career.

You're both wrong. The 2007 GF certainly wasn't a turning point or anything unusual. It was actually a pretty standard Shaun Burgoyne game at that point, and even now. It didn't affect his ability to perform in finals and it certainly didn't affect him on a match to match basis going forward.

Despite being called super consistent here, he certainly wasn't that player when he was relied on to be a #1 mid at Port. He won an AA guernsey and then copped a tag in the era where every team played a dedicated tagger, and that really cut out his influence. His last few seasons with us were peppered with games where he just couldn't get into the game because of a tag. His midfield time wasn't managed at Port because of a knee, it was managed by taggers who he didn't have the workrate to overcome like the likes of Judd and Ablett did.

Moving to Hawthorn was a great move to extend his career. IMO he'd have retired years ago if he was still at Port playing in the midfield. It allowed him to play effectively as a role player instead of a vital clearance mid, because Hawthorn were already so strong through the middle. It allowed him to play relatively (and don't shoot me down for this, i'll explain) bruise free style compared to what had been expected of him at Port. At Port he was the #1 stoppage player and was expected to be at the bottom of every pack winning the ball. At Hawthorn he moved to a team where he didn't really have to play at the stoppages as much, and Hawthorn weren't really a team that cared about winning a lot of clearances, because they'd simply intercept the ball in the backlines then march it up the field with elite kicking, a style that suited Burgoyne to a tee.

Hawthorn fans always scoff at that sort of opinion, but Port supporters saw a much larger range of Shaun Burgoyne football than Hawthorn have.

We saw him start his career as a very good small forward before moving to a shutdown small defender role where he was absolutely elite and was vital to our 2004 flag.

We saw him move to the midfield and look every bit as good as Judd or Ablett with his skill, ballwinning and explosiveness. He won an All Australian guernsey in 2006 playing phenomenal midfield football.

We saw taggers start to put a lot of time into him and we saw a lot of games where he stood around with his hands on his hips with absolutely no idea how to get himself into the game because he couldn't run off his tagger.

We saw him move to Hawthorn where he was able to play as a flanker, showing the flashes of brilliance he'd shown at Port but never consistently enough to put him into another All Australian guernsey or to win himself any individual accolades at all bar a few International Rules series guernseys.

Shaun Burgoyne had a very good career where he didn't come close to realising his full potential. If Hawthorn supporters think he did, they didn't pay attention to him when he was an emerging midfield genius in the mid 2000s. He had so much more talent than 1 AA guernsey and 0 B&Fs.

Hawthorn fans always scoff at that sort of opinion, but Port supporters saw a much larger range of Shaun Burgoyne football than Hawthorn have.

We saw him start his career as a very good small forward before moving to a shutdown small defender role where he was absolutely elite and was vital to our 2004 flag.

We saw him move to the midfield and look every bit as good as Judd or Ablett with his skill, ballwinning and explosiveness. He won an All Australian guernsey in 2006 playing phenomenal midfield football.

We saw taggers start to put a lot of time into him and we saw a lot of games where he stood around with his hands on his hips with absolutely no idea how to get himself into the game because he couldn't run off his tagger.

We saw him move to Hawthorn where he was able to play as a flanker, showing the flashes of brilliance he'd shown at Port but never consistently enough to put him into another All Australian guernsey or to win himself any individual accolades at all bar a few International Rules series guernseys.

Shaun Burgoyne had a very good career where he didn't come close to realising his full potential. If Hawthorn supporters think he did, they didn't pay attention to him when he was an emerging midfield genius in the mid 2000s. He had so much more talent than 1 AA guernsey and 0 B&Fs.

At Hawthorn he protected his body, timed his training and fitness, and as a result for the team he stood up in the most critical moments in finals. He dragged his team over the line in a prelim.

I think he got the most out of his potential for his team, not for delivering the best collection of games during the season, but to be there when it counted.

And he always was there when it counted. His most important accolades are four flags, all of which he was critical to. In particular, in the last three, it was his careful preparation that allowed Hawthorn to achieve what they did. He wasn’t selfish and focussed on securing personal accolades.

If I had to bet any current player would be a gun coach, I’d bet it will be him.

Do you think Enright was selfish? He only won 2 B&F's but they were both in premiership years.

I don’t at all - I think he was a gun.

Much like Gibson was for the Hawks (except Enright was better than Gibson).

I just think that Burgoynes capability to deliver in critical moments in the biggest games is unparalleled, which is why I’d take him over Enright (not by much though).

I don’t at all - I think he was a gun.

Much like Gibson was for the Hawks (except Enright was better than Gibson).

I just think that Burgoynes capability to deliver in critical moments in the biggest games is unparalleled, which is why I’d take him over Enright (not by much though).
Fair enough

Oh deary me. So I am a degenerate that lives in a trailer park? Stunning hypocrisy there. Clearly there is something to the lack of your commitment to your footy club if you are gonna get so offended by this.

Why are you even making this argument about what s/he should have been doing yesterday? Has absolutely no relevance and is pretty insulting for no good reason.

The WC is a major international sporting event (for the majority of the world THE major event), and I’ll bet Burgoyne would have known that and not blamed anyone for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you even making this argument about what s/he should have been doing yesterday? Has absolutely no relevance and is pretty insulting for no good reason.

The WC is a major international sporting event (for the majority of the world THE major event), and I’ll bet Burgoyne would have known that and not blamed anyone for it.

You don’t see the irony of HawkMongrel posting in a thread about a Hawks champion and his 350th game, when they voluntarily didn’t even attend the game?
I just think it’s funny, honestly.

Harvey made 400 a couple of years ago. We will see more and more 400 plus game players because sports science is so much better now as is the money.

Disagree. I think said sports science is actually going to make players play less games citing "stress on the body". Think of Bartlett and Tuck. How much do you reckon they got there because of science. I think they managed to play 400+ games because they were determined more than anything. Plus looking at the increased prevalence of soft tissue injuries of the course of the last score and you can see why players like Burgoyne or Harvey who had played in all those milestones are a dying breed, unfortunately.

There's a lot of Port jello in this thread.

It must hurt looking at the following stats...

Top possession years:
01. 550 (Hawthorn 2014)
02. 504 (Hawthorn 2015)
03. 478 (Hawthorn 2016)
04. 472 (Port Adelaide 2007)
05. 461 (Hawthorn 2013)
06. 458 (Port Adelaide 2006)
07. 448 (Hawthorn 2017)
08. 442 (Hawthorn 2011)
09. 359 (Hawthorn 2010)
10. 345 (Port Adelaide 2004)

Supporting your football club is a higher priority then pretending to care about the Socceroos, I would think
Keep the trolling for the bay.

World Cup is a very big deal for a lot of people, and Socceroos were playing.

If you don't like soccer, fine. But no need to be a knob.

There's a lot of Port jello in this thread.

It must hurt looking at the following stats...

Top possession years:
01. 550 (Hawthorn 2014)
02. 504 (Hawthorn 2015)
03. 478 (Hawthorn 2016)
04. 472 (Port Adelaide 2007)
05. 461 (Hawthorn 2013)
06. 458 (Port Adelaide 2006)
07. 448 (Hawthorn 2017)
08. 442 (Hawthorn 2011)
09. 359 (Hawthorn 2010)
10. 345 (Port Adelaide 2004)

Noone’s saying Shaun hasn’t had a very good career, but it’s completely negligent for the footy world to ignore his wasted potential to be a true out and out legend of the game.

Burgoyne reminds me alot of Craig Bradley - apart from the skill and all the rest of it - he looks like he could play for ever

And the big advantage he has got over Bradley - is the rotations - so your not playing the whole game etc

I think Bradley played to what -37 or 38 - his last year was no good - probably one year too many

I reckon Burgoyne could play till he was 40 - and if we had an EPL type system - where teams got relegated - thus you need the best talent available - i think he could play into his 40s - not neccesarily at Hawthorn - but just to keep teams up

I do like soccer. But I take offence to the notion that someone who claims to be a passionate Hawthorn member would prefer to watch a Socceroos game then attend a club champions historic 350th game. Don’t like my opinion? Fine. But don’t call it a troll when it’s a perfectly valid opinion. I don’t need to know the poster personally to have every right to that opinion, either.

You don’t need to know me, but it makes your opinion baseless and absolutely worthless.

Piss off, you’re just a troll.

I do like soccer. But I take offence to the notion that someone who claims to be a passionate Hawthorn member would prefer to watch a Socceroos game then attend a club champions historic 350th game. Don’t like my opinion? Fine.

Your belief that people should have been at Burgoyne's game instead of the World Cup is an opinion, yes.

I don't agree with it. That's my opinion.

Your statement that it is a FACT that soccer is a 'shitty' game, that people pretended to like, is unsustainable. The fact that you now say you 'like soccer' after calling it a 'shitty' game, has me still leaning towards the trolling angle.

I'm passionate Hawthorn, and passionate Socceroo fan, for most of my life. So are many people. Burger's 350th is a great symbol, to tell your kids about, but I can watch him next week.

The Socceroos play 3 games at the World Cup every 4 years...if they're lucky.

No brainer.

Did you not skip his 350th to watch a Socceroos game? As someone posting on a Football forum I’d be embarrassed to admit something like that.
Embarrassed that he is a big fan of soccer as well? This wasn't some random friendly or an A-league game, it's the world cup. Sports clash and sometimes and you can't watch them all. It really is not a big deal mate.

I am sure he will be at his 400th game anyway :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back