Is Shaun Burgoyne like Hawthorns Enright?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait until he sends his son's and daughter's Hawthorn's way. Given both parent's genes, the tears should really start flowing at that point.
nah that's pretty much a given that his kids aren't playing for us and i think accepted

Dont worry if u dont want to celebrate burgoyne we wont care. We will gladly adore him as legend of the hawthorn football club and AFL hall of famer

Questioning whether Shaun Burgoyne is on Enright's level ≠ 'not wanting to celebrate Burgoyne'.

Because everyone else has bought into the mythology. It happens.

You didn't know he existed until 2010.

And if Port fans had compared him to the stars of the game prior to that we'd have been laughed off the forum.

Everyone else thinks he's a star, yet his jaded ex-club's supporters don't. But it's us buying in to mythology, not your delusion/sour grapes? Ha.

Everyone else thinks he's a star, yet his jaded ex-club's supporters don't. But it's us buying in to mythology, not your delusion/sour grapes? Ha.

Your reading comprehension's not the best. Try shelving your preconceived notions of 'sour grapes' and following the words on the screen as they appear in order.

Questioning whether Shaun Burgoyne is on Enright's level ≠ 'not wanting to celebrate Burgoyne'.
You see the same argument has been made about Hodge's career. He could have spent more time in the middle of the ground. No he did what was best for the team played where he was needed. Sacrificing for the team hallmark of great teams. Ego has no place. Most importantly shaun and hodge are the ones that rise to the occasion when called upon in the big games at the end of the year. That has always been the end game. What u call wasting his career would be considered gold by all of Shaun Burgoyne's hawthorn team mates

You see the same argument has been made about Hodge's career. He could have spent more time in the middle of the ground. No he did what was best for the team played where he was needed. Sacrificing for the team hallmark of great teams. Ego has no place. Most importantly shaun and hodge are the ones that rise to the occasion when called upon in the big games at the end of the year. That has always been the end game. What u call wasting his career would be considered gold by all of Shaun Burgoyne's hawthorn team mates

Hodge is an all-time great by any conceivable measure.

Instrumental player in 3 peat:
- Port 0
- Hawthorn 1

No Shaun , no three-peat. That alone is worth a million AA selections and Brownlow votes.
I'll tell Marcus Ashcroft and Ben Stratton to prepare their Hall of Fame speeches then I guess.

Enright won the Geelong best and fairest and an All Australian guernsey in 2 premiership years.

Burgoyne being a good player in a great team doesn't elevate him to legend of the game status. Enright has an enormous resume behind him, not just good vibes.

And despite making similar sacrifices to what Burgoyne allegedly has, Hodge has 2 Norm Smiths, 2 B&Fs and 3 AA guernseys.

It's almost like being a team player doesn't mean you can't win individual awards or something?!?!?

Hodge will very rightly be a first ballot Hall of Famer and is a genuine legend of his era, much like Enright. Hodge's career dwarfs Burgoynes.

And despite making similar sacrifices to what Burgoyne allegedly has, Hodge has 2 Norm Smiths, 2 B&Fs and 3 AA guernseys.

It's almost like being a team player doesn't mean you can't win individual awards or something?!?!?

Hodge will very rightly be a first ballot Hall of Famer and is a genuine legend of his era, much like Enright. Hodge's career dwarfs Burgoynes.
Lol allegedly. For every hawthorn player it's a fact. Anyways it's all opinion here so I will leave u to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgoyne was electric early in his career and definitely the more brilliant player but i like them sitting together as two of the very best at their craft .
Both humble , unassuming players who delivered when it mattered most and both genuine class off the field .
They both also had horrid stretches with injury earlier in their careers so to rack up so many games is testament to them both .
Bloody champions !

He never became a dominant midfilder in a final racking up 30 possession games like hodge and mitchelll would do. He never became a great lock down defensive medium who creamed great forwards like an enright and he never became a great forward flanker who could kick bags of 5 in a final like a chapman or akermanis. He was mostly just a solid rank and file player who could have a big dominant qtr. The greats had dominant games. Burgoyne never did that in finals or really home and away all that much at hawthorn. He was a cameo player. Perhaps the best in twenty years cameo player. But a cameo player none the less.

That is absolute BS... his 20-22 possessions are worth way more as he could tear teams to ribbons especially early in his career before the knee injury .
He also played a 4-5 week stretch as full forward in his early days and kicked a bag of 5 with a couple of 4's and a 3 , if he was to stay as a forward he could have easily averaged 2 goals a game but he is too valuable utilized elsewhere . He has been elite in the midfield , forward and excellent as a running half back ... sure nowhere near the lock down ability of Enright but to say rank and file is blatantly wrong .

When he left Port it was expected he might play another 2-3 years max such was the state of his knee but 9 years later he is still performing at an elite level ... it is amazing how well he is still playing
The amount of times he has been moved into the middle or forward and changed the game or produced match winning moments at Hawthorn is far too many to reel off , he is probably the most consistent clutch time performer on volume of the last 10 years . A true match winner if ever there was one .

Why are port supporter so salty? It's not like Shaun left on bad terms. Heck most Hawk supporters still love Buddy and all will freely admit he is best of his generation.

Why are port supporter so salty? It's not like Shaun left on bad terms. Heck most Hawk supporters still love Buddy and all will freely admit he is best of his generation.

Buddy is the best of his generation though.

I think we've probably gone harder in this thread than we feel because it's a bigfooty shouting match. Shaun Burgoyne has had a very good career with patches of elite football. He's incredibly versatile and does brilliant things.

There is certainly no bad taste in our mouths about Shaun leaving. He needed to go to stop being relied on at every stoppage and the mental and physical demands that come with that for a poor team, and we needed to move on and go through a full rebuild, which we did. We got fair payment in return for him. His family are obviously very close to our club. We absolutely admire him as a player.

But Corey Enright is one of the greatest halfbacks of all time and has the resume to back that up.

If when Justin Westhoff plays his 300th game, I come in here and describe Justin Westhoff as "Port's Adam Goodes", would I be rightly criticised for comparing a footballer who has been really good over a long period of time with a genuine great of the game?

And anyone who argues this is an idiot. It's entirely within reason though to question whether Shaun Burgoyne is actually an all time great or an elite coaster.
Oh dear.

Shaun will walk straight into the AFL hall of fame. No questions asked.

Buddy is the best of his generation though.

I think we've probably gone harder in this thread than we feel because it's a bigfooty shouting match. Shaun Burgoyne has had a very good career with patches of elite football. He's incredibly versatile and does brilliant things.

There is certainly no bad taste in our mouths about Shaun leaving. He needed to go to stop being relied on at every stoppage and the mental and physical demands that come with that for a poor team, and we needed to move on and go through a full rebuild, which we did. We got fair payment in return for him. His family are obviously very close to our club. We absolutely admire him as a player.

But Corey Enright is one of the greatest halfbacks of all time and has the resume to back that up.

If when Justin Westhoff plays his 300th game, I come in here and describe Justin Westhoff as "Port's Adam Goodes", would I be rightly criticised for comparing a footballer who has been really good over a long period of time with a genuine great of the game?
Well you'd be criticised for a racist for starters.

Oh dear.

Shaun will walk straight into the AFL hall of fame. No questions asked.

There are a slew Geelong and Hawthorn multiple premiership players in the twilight of their careers with lots of best and fairests and All Australian guernseys who will be lining up for the Hall of Fame at the same time, not even considering players from other clubs with imposing resumes.

Even just at Hawthorn he's behind Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead, Rioli, Franklin and Lewis.

Does Shaun's 1 All Australian guernsey get him there? It'll probably depend who retires during the same year.

Last edited:
Despite Enright being a more decorated player, I would take Burgoyne every day of the week.

Is the very definition of a 'clutch' player.

yep no doubt would of been a different story if he had that shot on goal after the siren instead of isaac smith... i dare say we would of seen hawthorn in their 4th or 5th whatever it was grand final appearance in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back