Is St Kilda actually making any progress under Alan Richardson ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
And no, this isn't one of those 'When will he go' threads as it seems The Saints are sure that Richardson is their man for the long haul, but over a quarter of the season has passed in their third season of him in charge at St Kilda, and aside from a couple of honourable losses, and admittedly a fairly hard draw, I would have thought the Saints would have had more than two wins up until this point in time, culminating in that nadir of a performance in WA against The Eagles.

Not saying Al Richardson is a bad coach at all, but the Saints have made some dubious recruiting and trading decisions in the past few years, and a couple of their kids like Dunstan haven't come on as they would have hoped.

They have to beat Essendon this week or you'd have to ask serious questions as to the progress of St Kilda's rebuild.

What are the dubious recruiting and trading decisions?

I think most Saints supporters would be very happy with the progress of our kids. I certainly am.

Compare us to the progress of Collingwood, Melbourne, or Brisbane (other sides in similar stages of their respective rebuilds) and we're doing fine.

Yesterday was pathetic, but you've drawn a long bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before the weekend's game I was inclined to think they were making significant progress. In fact I still do. WC are formidable at Subi (and limp away from it). The Saints should be 4-4 being unlucky against North and the Hawks (two contenders) - they gave us a belting (being a middle of the road team).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are still inconsistent in the midfield and still lack 2 more a grade players who can use the ball well.

Forward line and Defence have been rebuilt pretty well but we lack the midfield power compared to other teams.

When we play well we look great but when it fails we get smashed.

clearly someone who hasn't watched us

this is going to end well....

The Saints have been bog ordinary in at least 3-4 games I've seen (footskills against GWS were deplorable)

With all the early picks you've had in the past five years. I would have thought The Saints would have shown a bit more improvement than what we're currently seeing

You're no certainties to beat Essendon on Sunday, feels like a genuine 50/50 game based on last weekends form. Good teams don't lose by 100 points to a 5th to 7th ranked team (which is what West Coast are this season quite frankly)

Yes. Richardson is doing well. Saints unlucky to lose a few matches this year. If it was a year down the track they would have won some of thoae games and would have been part of the race to the top 8.

I think the saints are better than their record suggests, and last week was a bit of a blip rather than a true representation of where they are.

In saying that, they have a couple of older guys in roo, montagna, and a few others that will retire soon, so i think their rebuild will take slightly longer.

I would have had them as slight bolters in 2017, but not sure how they will transition next year.

But definitely building on the last couple of years and the breaktgrough shouldnt be too far away

The Saints have been bog ordinary in at least 3-4 games I've seen (footskills against GWS were deplorable)

With all the early picks you've had in the past five years. I would have thought The Saints would have shown a bit more improvement than what we're currently seeing

You're no certainties to beat Essendon on Sunday, feels like a genuine 50/50 game based on last weekends form. Good teams don't lose by 100 points to a 5th to 7th ranked team (which is what West Coast are this season quite frankly)

?

Have they made progress?
Year 1: 4 wins
Year 2: 6 wins

If you look at our draw, we should win at least 6 more games. So in answer to your question:

Yes.

I think St Kilda recruiting last 2 years has been questionable

Paddy McCartin is a big 50/50, but very questionable of will become a great player
Hugh Goddard and Dan McKenzie are also very questionable as neither getting games

Gresham I'll cut slack but Freeman and Jakey Carlisle can't give pass marks

2013 did well with Billings and Dustan and Acres starting to come through but 2014 and 2015 have been questionable

Still rely too much on their old guard.

Real test is how they will fare once Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher, Dempster etc. hang up the boots.

Think they have a decent list but no real outright stars that can take them to flag territory. Billings might, Stevens might, McCartin might but no one is really screaming of being the cream of the crop like Cripps/Weitering/Bontempelli/Hogan etc.

Not the first team West Coast will beat the s**t out of at Subi

Our average winning margin at home this year is 14 goals
Jesus, didn't realise it was that ridiculous.

Saints have definitely improved. Been unlucky with a few games (the Hawthorn one in particular).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back