Is Steve Kerr now a Hall of Famer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
A Horry-lite playing career from the time he hit 30 until he retired, where he just had a knack for being on the right team at the right time as a valuable role-player (and he clocked up over 900 games, no mean feat). Now he's in outright sixth in the list of championships won by coaches (more than legendary coaches like Chuck Daly, who didn't have an NBA playing career as well), the Warriors are averaging over 66 wins per season since he's started and Golden State was OK, but never that good before he joined.

I say he's a HOFer right now and he could coach another 15 years, if his creaky back permits.

If he stopped coaching tomorrow. No.

But if he coaches for 10 years or so, he would get in even if he didn't win another championship.

His playing career would count for basically zero though.

His playing career would count for basically zero though.

You could well be right, but I think it's a real limitation of the criteria; it seems as though your career is considered as either a player or a coach, not both. Steve Kerr's playing career wouldn't put him anywhere near the HOF, but I think that when you combine his 15-odd seasons and five rings, it should add a fair bit of weight to his candidacy, compared to a coach with a similar resume who never played in the NBA.

Rudy T's another one. A much better playing career than Kerr, but not as decorated as a coach. I'd agree that he's probably just not quite there in either category, but when you combine his contribution across the two, I'd say he's easily worthy of HOF status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back