Cars & Transportation Is tailgating another car ever justified

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends. If the guy in front deliberately brake tested the guy behind, then this would be, at worst, contributory negligence. At least, that's what I'd argue.

Guy in front says "There was a cat/dog/small child on the footpath that looked like it was about to bolt onto the road so I hit the brakes".

It is always the fault of the tailgater, no matter what.

Sort of related, can anyone confirm who is at fault at a roundabout? The amount of people who fail to give way at roundabouts is really giving the me the shits lately, I go through them a number of times every day and there is 1 where the people coming from 1 direction never, ever stop for you, they simply dont look and we usually end up going the same way so they get tailgated untill i find space to get around them (Thankfully road we are both heading to is quite wide :thumbsu:)

People on the roundabout have right-of-way. People attempting to get onto the roundabout have to give way to them.

Sort of related, can anyone confirm who is at fault at a roundabout? The amount of people who fail to give way at roundabouts is really giving the me the shits lately, I go through them a number of times every day and there is 1 where the people coming from 1 direction never, ever stop for you, they simply dont look and we usually end up going the same way so they get tailgated untill i find space to get around them (Thankfully road we are both heading to is quite wide :thumbsu:)

I remember getting honked and flashed for failing to give way many years ago at a roundabout but in that scenario they turned without indicating and had a witness so hopefully would have been ok in an accident?

The driver failing to give way to his/her right and giving way to cars already on the roundabout.

The old man used to tell me, "if someone is up your arse, just give the lights a quick flick on and off, they'll think its brakes and they'll drop off"

Obviously, wont work at night if you have headlights on

That's one of my absolute favorites.

Done it a few times and they usually back off.

But the best was when i had a black tinted mean looking commodore up my ass a few years back who must have been no further that 3 inches behind me. I could see his face filled with anger cos haw dare i sit on the speed limit when he wants to speed (id usually pull over and let them pass but it was a single lane road with no room to the side). I switched the lights on for a couple of seconds and saw a screeching smoking almost sliding out of control commodore in my mirror.

He then stopped tailgating.:thumbsu:

The safe following distance between cars at 100km/h is 127m. If a car is in the right hand lane and a car in the left hand lane is within that distance, I think it is quite reasonable that they refuse to change lanes at that point. Demanding they change lanes to being within 20/30m of the car in front is unreasonable.

My understanding (IIRC) is that here in SA there are the following rules (even if unsigned):

- vehicles must stay to the left as much as possible (especially on multi laned roads).
- vehicles aren't allowed to overtake on the left hand side.

So going by the above I will certainly "tailgate" someone who sits in the right hand lane if the left hand lane is available. I do try to take upcoming traffic or possible right hand turns into account... but if it is all clear... than TGing is justified. The driver infront is breaking the law by not sticking to the left and I will break the law if I over take on the left... might as well TG and hopefully they get the message, move to the left, I can over take on the right and we can all obey the road rules.

Also I believe it is also agains the law to suddenly brake without reason. If a driver starts doing this I get the missus to pull out her iPhone and recording the s**t. Evidence in case an accident is caused.:p

Scenario -

Car B is following car A on a 100lm/h highway at a higher speed on a duel carriageway. Car B moves to the right to overtake. Car B gets within 20 metres when car A's speed increases to the same as car B. Car C then comes racing up behind car B and tailgates them.

So, car B was in the right lane to overtake but car A prevented this from happening. He was then too close to car A to change back to the left lane safely as the safe following distance at 100km/h is approx 130 metres.

So how is car B in the wrong here?

Happens all the time, especially when Car A is using cruise control and Car B isn't. Car B definitely not in the wrong.

Scenario -

Car B is following car A on a 100lm/h highway at a higher speed on a duel carriageway. Car B moves to the right to overtake. Car B gets within 20 metres when car A's speed increases to the same as car B. Car C then comes racing up behind car B and tailgates them.

So, car B was in the right lane to overtake but car A prevented this from happening. He was then too close to car A to change back to the left lane safely as the safe following distance at 100km/h is approx 130 metres.

The amount of times i've seen someone come out infront of me to overtake and fail to do so.

You either failed to see Car C was overtaking at a greater speed and forced the tailgate upon yourself, or you don't know how easy it is to change lanes and have got yourself into a pickle and are sitting side by side with car A crying "I DONT WANNA BE HERE".

Who cares if someone is tailgating, speed up and move across or slow down and move across, they don't want to hit you, they just want you out of the way.

The amount of people I see watching their mirrors in merging traffic rather than the car in front, nobody wants to hit you, stick with the traffic.

The amount of times i've seen someone come out infront of me to overtake and fail to do so.

You either failed to see Car C was overtaking at a greater speed and forced the tailgate upon yourself, or you don't know how easy it is to change lanes and have got yourself into a pickle and are sitting side by side with car A crying "I DONT WANNA BE HERE".

Who cares if someone is tailgating, speed up and move across or slow down and move across, they don't want to hit you, they just want you out of the way.

The amount of people I see watching their mirrors in merging traffic rather than the car in front, nobody wants to hit you, stick with the traffic.

Nice sweeping generalisations to make the scenario suit your agenda. Whether someone is overtaking at a faster speed or not is irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also I believe it is also agains the law to suddenly brake without reason. If a driver starts doing this I get the missus to pull out her iPhone and recording the s**t. Evidence in case an accident is caused.:p

Wouldn't matter. If you rear-end somebody it's automatically your fault. You should have left enough room to break safely in case there was a sudden stop.

I was driving through punchbowl (nice place) yesterday and a little white car stopped next to me at the lights. Then a truck stopped behind him, the truck driver got out and started screaming at the guy in the white car who wound down his window to have words back and the truckie started punching him through the window! The lights turned green so im not sure how it ended, badly most likely!

The old man used to tell me, "if someone is up your arse, just give the lights a quick flick on and off, they'll think its brakes and they'll drop off"

Obviously, wont work at night if you have headlights on

Works a treat for me, especially if you look in the rear view mirror and see someone s**t themselves in their car :D

I was in the left lane on the eastern fwy the other day and a truck was doing it to me. He wanted me to go faster because there was a semi trailor blocking him to the right. Instead of waiting the 30 seconds for the right lane to become free he decided to intimidate the corolla (in the left lane) into driving above the speed limit.

I can't stand aggressive drivers.:rolleyes: The police should crack down on those drivers and bankrupt them.

I was in the left lane on the eastern fwy the other day and a truck was doing it to me. He wanted me to go faster because there was a semi trailor blocking him to the right. Instead of waiting the 30 seconds for the right lane to become free he decided to intimidate the corolla (in the left lane) into driving above the speed limit.

I can't stand aggressive drivers.:rolleyes: The police should crack down on those drivers and bankrupt them.

If you're in the left lane then that is understandable, but if you're in the right lane and decide to act like some self appointed commander of the road, then your licence should be taken off you and incinerated on the spot.

If you're in the left lane then that is understandable, but if you're in the right lane and decide to act like some self appointed commander of the road, then your licence should be taken off you and incinerated on the spot.

Are you saying my licence should be incinerated if i didn't go over the speed limit in the right hand lane? :eek:

If that is what you're saying then if you read my post you'd see that i was in the left hand lane (said that twice)

If you're trying to say something else then i have no idea what that is.

Are you saying my licence should be incinerated if i didn't go over the speed limit in the right hand lane? :eek:

You always have the option of slowing down and moving in to the left hand lane, or not even being in the right hand lane stargazing in the first place.

On a dual lane carraigeway, the right hand lane should always be viewed as an overtaking/right turn lane. If you're not overtaking or turning right, stay out of it.

BTW, cut the stupid red face stuff, it's infantile.

If that is what you're saying then if you read my post you'd see that i was in the left hand lane (said that twice)

I acknowledged this.

You always have the option of slowing down and moving in to the left hand lane, or not even being in the right hand lane stargazing in the first place.

On a dual lane carraigeway, the right hand lane should always be viewed as an overtaking/right turn lane. If you're not overtaking or turning right, stay out of it.

BTW, cut the stupid red face stuff, it's infantile.

I acknowledged this.

Are you internet fight deprived? Your argument to me has absolutely nothing to do with what i posted, nothing at all.

You always have the option of slowing down and moving in to the left hand lane

So the car in the right hand lane should slow down sufficiently from 100km/h to a spot where they are 130metres behind the car in the left lane (the safe following distance) before changing lanes? I suspect this will cause even more grief to sooks in the right lane. Additionally, they'd probably just overtake via the left once a gap forms.

I'll repeat...

Scenario -

Let's not just regurgitate laws without any thought as to why things occur. You just look daft.

Firstly, assuming you're using the '2 second' rule, the minimum safe following distance at 100 km/h on a dry road with good visibility is approx 56 metres:

100 km/h = 100,000 m/h
100,000m / 3600s = 27.78 m/s
27.78m * 2s = approx 56m.

Not sure where you pulled 130 metres from...

There are a couple of variables you've missed here:
-Are there one or more cars immediately in front of Car A in the left lane? Or is the lane clear ahead?
-Are there one or more cars immediately behind Car A in the left lane?

In the scenario you described, regardless of these variables, Car A isn't technically doing anything illegal, but is still being extremely discourteous.

Now Car B has 3 options, and the ideal course of action to take will depend on the two variables I've listed above:

-No cars in front of Car A: This is the easiest scenario to deal with. Just step on the accelerator till you're a couple of car lengths ahead of car A and move back into the left lane. You shouldn't have to do more than 110 km/h to achieve this in around 10 seconds. Now you may say that this breaks the 'safe following distance' threshold but this is irrelevant if the lane in front of Car A is clear. There is nothing in front of you in that lane and hence, no reason for you to brake suddenly. The only way an accident could be caused here is if you (the Driver of Car B) decide to be a bit of a dick and brake suddenly for no reason.This solution obviously breaks the speed limit momentarily as well but from first-hand experience, the cops don't mind if you go a little bit over for a short-period of time, especially if it's to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation. It's those pesky cameras you really have to watch out for.

-No cars behind Car A: This is also fairly easy to deal with. Just let go of the accelerator and move back to where you were behind Car A to let Car C pass. Sure it might make you, the driver of Car B, feel somewhat annoyed but it's better than having an accident caused by Car C tailgating you.

-Multiple cars present both behind and in front of Car A: In this scenario, Car B is entitled to be in the right-lane, as the road can be now considered 'congested', which provides an exception to the the keep-left unless overtaking rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back