AdamE89

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
[QUOTE="People are reading too much into our win yesterday, you can't win every game convincingly. We have shown so far we can step up to the top teams when needed. We might be a relatively low chance of winning the premiership but to mis the finals when we are 3 games clear and 53% of 9th place and 4 games and 47% ahead of 10th. We won't miss the finals[/QUOTE]

Just ask the great Sir Alex about grinding out a 1-0 win over the Derby County’s, Bolton etc at old Trafford in the 96th minute in their prime and then smashing the big boys away the next week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 16, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swannies
Interesting that everyone is writing off the Swans. They are 5:2 and have played three other teams in the 8 and have beaten each of them: Tigers, Cats and Lions. There are 14 more games to go and the Swans play just four teams that are currently in the 8. The other 10 games are Pies, Freo, Blues, Saints, Hawks, Giants, Freo, Bombers, Saints and North. That's not a super hard run home.

old55

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting that everyone is writing off the Swans. They are 5:2 and have played three other teams in the 8 and have beaten each of them: Tigers, Cats and Lions. There are 14 more games to go and the Swans play just four teams that are currently in the 8. The other 10 games are Pies, Freo, Blues, Saints, Hawks, Giants, Freo, Bombers, Saints and North. That's not a super hard run home.

Swans probably beat Melbourne this week who are due for a loss and have a shocking record vs Sydney especially at the MCG. Buddy and Rampe back. Swans $4.20 at Sportsbet - get on!

Teams are analyzing what you're doing and blocking the corridor even more now. I think it'll get harder as the season goes on.

If the Lions play you now we'll have a different setup compared to that round 1 ambush.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah it's a joke, we copped the toughest fixture when we finished 6th and played finals for the first time in about 10 years while clubs like Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Port and Geelong who have finished higher on the ladder than us in recent years, won premierships and played more finals than us get easier fixtures. It will probably be the difference between us making finals and missing out in what will be a fairly even year.
what did you expect after making final for the 1st time in 10 years? An easy draw like the crows were handed in 2012 where they had the suns, gws and a horrible Port side twice?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it is a little bit getting found out but also a little bit that you were getting a lot from your kids in the first 4 rounds and you are now getting much less from them.

I reckon you win 5-7 games from here.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it is a little bit getting found out but also a little bit that you were getting a lot from your kids in the first 4 rounds and you are now getting much less from them.

I reckon you win 5-7 games from here.

so, no chance the young sydney players actually improve the more they play?

Vaccination

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks
This is a pretty long and thorough explanation of where I think everything is at so far

Teams which can't drop out: Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Richmond
Melbourne and Western Bulldogs look great to start the year, both have stacked midfields with quality rucks (English not playing really hurt Bulldogs against Richmond imo).
Richmond are like 2011-2016 hawks, until I see them dead I'm not counting them out.

Teams which will get in because of their home grounds: Port, Brisbane, Geelong, West Coast
Maybe being a tad harsh to Port and Brisbane, the latter especially given they've played some good stuff the last couple of weeks. Port looked pedestrian on the road against two contenders, but have proved they'll be hard to beat in Adelaide.
Geelong at GMHBA are awesome, and finishing off with three games there to end the year should help with a late push. Not fully convinced by them but they've got forwards who can score, a good enough midfield and Tom Stewart.
West Coast could easily go into the tier below, especially with their injury woes. However they are pretty reliable at home and have an easy enough schedule whilst their best players are out. If they played the teams they play after their bye now we probably wouldn't make the 8.

Team which could slide: Sydney
The only reason why Sydney are here is because of lack of experience. While some of their youth may tire as the season goes on or their tactics are found out, they are saved by having one of the easiest schedules in the comp. They don't need to play Brisbane, Richmond or Geelong again and after playing Melbourne this week and excluding a 3 week period in rounds 15-17 (Even that include West Coast at the SCG which is an automatic win for Sydney) all their opponents are outside the 8. They can afford a couple of slip ups, but they do need to be cautious. The two games they play against the Saints will be crucial.

Outside looking in: GWS, St Kilda, Carlton
GWS have really picked it up the past month and based on talent alone should easily be in the 8. I just don't see a slot for them at the moment. Their win over Sydney was crucial as it pulled one of their competitors back as well as showing fight which had been missing in the first three games of the year. The issue for GWS is that I feel they are very much a confidence and momentum based team, and after the Essendon game they have Richmond, West Coast and Brisbane. Lose all 3 and their season is pretty much done.
St Kilda are too inconsistent at the moment and aren't helped by a stupidly tough draw. If they can play more games like they played the second half against the Eagles or the Hawks game it'll bring them back.
Carlton need to start beating good sides.

Year too early/maybe if they get on a run: Gold Coast, Freo
Gold Coast are a hungry young side capable of competing and getting good wins (See the Sydney game). I just don't think they have the experience or the stamina to get through the season. Should try to finish 13th, get an easier draw then push for the 8 next year.
Freo need to beat better teams at home of they are to stand a chance. Give time for the young midfielders to develop, get the defense back and organised. Concerned about lack of scoring or forward threats.

Rebuilding: Essendon, Adelaide, Hawks
You aren't looking for results, just development out of the kids. Try claiming a few scalps throughout the year and give your fans hope

Limbo: Collingwood
A team which looks like its come to the end of its window a bit earlier than it should. I think they'll rebound but it doesn't look good so far. Try and stabilise the ship, create a clear plan at the end of the year by deciding if you can win a flag with the group you have. If the answer is no, then start a fire sale

Bottom: North
Just be lucky the AFL doesn't have a draft lottery

TL;DR
8 is pretty much settled if Sydney can keep up their form and GWS or St Kilda don't get on a roll

Last edited:

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Teams are analyzing what you're doing and blocking the corridor even more now. I think it'll get harder as the season goes on.

If the Lions play you now we'll have a different setup compared to that round 1 ambush.
Except...you don't play us again and didn't take your shot when you did. So...what's the point of hind sight?

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Swans probably beat Melbourne this week who are due for a loss and have a shocking record vs Sydney especially at the MCG. Buddy and Rampe back. Swans $4.20 at Sportsbet - get on!
As a general rule with betting, never bet against the undefeated top team. Let their first loss come when it comes. Don't try to predict it.

Except...you don't play us again and didn't take your shot when you did. So...what's the point of hind sight?

The point is why you might drop out of 8 and the run could become difficult for you in the second half. Opposition are putting more time into you and it'll be interesting to see how your young team responds.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
Yeah it's a joke, we copped the toughest fixture when we finished 6th and played finals for the first time in about 10 years while clubs like Richmond, West Coast, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Port and Geelong who have finished higher on the ladder than us in recent years, won premierships and played more finals than us get easier fixtures. It will probably be the difference between us making finals and missing out in what will be a fairly even year.

A fair draw is the top 6 play each other twice (10 games) then the rest once (12 games). Same with the middle 6 and bottom 6 from the year before. But allowing for showdowns/derbies/rivalries etc we can make that play 4 of the other 5 in your group plus a 'rivalry' game.

In this case, all of the top 6 from 2020 should be having harder draws. Sydney with double ups against 4 of Hawthorn/Adelaide/North/Suns/Essendon would be locks for a top 6 if not top 4

To be honest I am still amazed how well my mob has played and that we are even in Final 8 discussions. Like every other team the Bloods will get their share of injuries and setbacks. We possess reasonable depth and this will be tested in the months ahead.

Aside from Hickey, our best players v Geelong were from the young brigade. Personally I see this as a development and transition year. That we are a chance of making the 8 is a bonus.

Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
A fair draw is the top 6 play each other twice (10 games) then the rest once (12 games). Same with the middle 6 and bottom 6 from the year before. But allowing for showdowns/derbies/rivalries etc we can make that play 4 of the other 5 in your group plus a 'rivalry' game.

In this case, all of the top 6 from 2020 should be having harder draws. Sydney with double ups against 4 of Hawthorn/Adelaide/North/Suns/Essendon would be locks for a top 6 if not top 4

Outside of Hawthorn, everyone else we have double up games against finished in the top 6 last year. While it's true our fixture gets easier after the bye it's not our fault teams like the Giants and St Kilda have fallen off - you're always going to get teams that you think will do good the next year that end up going backwards.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
As a general rule with betting, never bet against the undefeated top team. Let their first loss come when it comes. Don't try to predict it.
I'll preface this by saying I think betting is for mugs, but I agree with the sentiment.

"Due for a loss" is a meaningless phrase which has appeared on this thread several times as if it actually means something.

Last edited:
Usually the 8 is set about this time each season. May get one change but that's about it
From end of round 7 to end of season
Bulldogs in
Suns out

Port, Adelaide, Freo, Saints out
Tigers, West Coast, Dogs and Bombers in

North and Adelaide out
Pies and GWS in

Dogs and Saints out
Swans and Bombers in

No change

GWS and Pies out
Richmond and North in

Pies and Suns out
Dons and Richmond in

No change (Bombers out Blues in but due to drugs)

Saints, Blues, Bombers out
Hawks, Geelong, North in

Freo, Dees out
Dons, Eagles in

Power out
Hawks in

History suggests its likely we'll see a couple of changes yet.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Upsets galore this season, hence why the race for the flag is wide open. I mean, GWS VFL side beat Geelong at the cattery just last week.

Don't think for a minute West Coast, or even Freo, still can't get into the 8.

Back