is the 2018 draft shaping up to be something special?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really true. Of top 10 picks. He’s had Ryder, Heppell, Hurley as All Australians. McGrath and Heppell rising stars. Melksham has developed into a good footballer and Parish looks to be a success too.

Gumbleton and Myers ruined by injury and Francis with mental health problems but still think he’s a chance to come good. Kepler Bradley his only true failure and that was a horrendous draft anyway. No out and out superstars but a good strike rate none the less.
Myers is just an average to below average player. Nothing to do with injury. He's played 100+ games.

Myers is just an average to below average player. Nothing to do with injury. He's played 100+ games.

Out 250 odd. He missed 2/3s of games in his four of his first five years and a third in the other hampering his development.

Ah yes, The Untouchable 2001 Superdraft, with such notables as:
Pick 4 Graham Polak
6 Ashley Sampi
9 Luke Molan
10 Sam Power
11 Richard Cole
14 Ashley Watson
15 Barry Brooks
16 Rick Ladson
18 Shane Harvey
20 Daniel Elstone
23 Charlie Gardiner
26 Arron Rodgers
27 Tom Davidson
28 Mark Powell
30 Rod Crowe
31 Joel Reynolds

I could go on.

2006 was better.
This is a very bad post.

Not an expert.

But the 'experts' seem to all think that the top 5 - 10 are going to be better than usual this year. First round also probably above average. Depth might be good too. But wait til the end of the year to know.

The 'super draft' moniker is when the top end is very good, and it keeps on going with above average quality til pick 80. There have been drafts with a really good top end, but no depth. And drafts with good depth but little stand out early. Neither is a super draft. I'll get excited towards the end of the season if you get all the good draft watchers saying that good players will still be around in the third round. Usually it drops off somewhere around pick 30.

Tim English is the skinniest ruck Ive seen basically ever. Played a couple of games first year and is now playing regularly. While still the skinniest ruck Ive seen basically ever.

is he worse than Christian Bock?
Nathan Bock's younger brother..

cbock.jpg
there are about a billion supplements program jokes in this image I know..:oops::thumbsu:

Isn't every supposedly a 'super draft'? I'll tell you in 3 years time when it found that it doesn't seem to be a super draft. Drafts with depth are better than drafts with a good top end.

Isn't every supposedly a 'super draft'? I'll tell you in 3 years time when it found that it doesn't seem to be a super draft. Drafts with depth are better than drafts with a good top end.

No, not every year is a super draft.

Tarryn Thomas just averaged 168 CD ranking points throughout the 5 game Div 2 series, that's around 30 more than the next best since they've been collating that stat.

There's been plenty of top end talent in that division, like Heeney, Mills, Riewoldt x 2, Cyril Rioli, Daniel Rioli, Setterfield, Jack Bowes, Perryman, Kennedy, Hopper, Himmelburg, Cockatoo etc

Most have him in the 5-10 range, if that's any indication.

Rozee may go in the 10-15 range and he's fairly comparable to Adam Cerra.

Most times the experts agree that its a 'super draft' it normally turns out to be pretty decent at least. Obviously no one can predict injuries and other off-field or mental issues that can derail careers but when you look holistically you normally have some idea.

Ironically I think super strong drafts actually favour stronger teams in some respects, because you can still get A grade talent much lower down the draft order. If every club gets some quality players its gonna be hard to gain a lot of ground.

This is the first draft which has a feeling of being very strong. I've not had that feeling for a long period of time. (Talking about pre draft feelings, not what happens post draft)

All my thoughts are pre draft thoughts on comparing players, NOT what happens post draft

King twins - Both of these players currently look like the equal of Boyd pre draft
Luko - I guess Volt levels of ability, very rare talent levels.
Rankine - I cannot compare his ability to anyone that I've seen. Just a pure freak of a talent.
Walsh - Scully/Josh Kelly, kid with an insane tank that will run all day.
Hill - Maybe the most skillful player from WA in a number of years, just the height issue. Maybe need to increase output levels.
Thomas - As Pykie stated, doing things in his comp that the likes of Heeney and Mills did not do, that is a good output.

Then you have some names moving up the rankings like a Hately that could end up being considered a top 3 pick in any other draft in the last 5 years.

This is why the term "super draft" is being spread around the traps.

I remember last year going into the championships, BF was not telling me to watch Cerra. Sat down to my first game and watched him live and thought he was by far the best player on the ground and looked like a lovely AFL prospect. Still, last years draft had a heap of names I liked, but not outstanding.

This year, I am excited by a heap of prospect based purely on last years form guide, let alone which kids have developed over the summer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back