Is the AFL now more of a lopsided competition than the EPL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy John

Senior List
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Leicester City's recent triumph in the EPL has got me thinking that the EPL is now a more even competition than the AFL.

The AFL equivalent of Leicester City's recent success would be North Melbourne or Western Bulldogs winning this year's AFL premiership.

As much as we all love to get behind the underdog, I just can't see either of these sides winning a premiership in the current AFL environment.

The EPL has it's own Big 4 and the AFL's own Big 4 equivalents would be as follows..

Manchester United = Geelong
Chelsea = Hawthorn
Arsenal = Sydney
Liverpool = Collingwood

The media this year have loved to jump on the bandwagons of West Coast, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Adelaide and GWS, depending who has the best win of the round, but the sad reality is that these clubs are merely making up the numbers.

The premiership this year will be won by Geelong, Sydney or Hawthorn, thus continuing the monopoly that these 3 sides have had over the competition from 2005 onwards.

Between 1990 and 2004 there were 9 sides that won the flag.

Between 2005 and 2015 there were 5 sides that won the flag.

Do you think the AFL is now less of an even competition than the EPL, despite all the equalisation measures in place such as drafts, salary cap, football department cap and the fixture?

Too many restrictions in the competition. Maybe keep the draft but the salary cap and number of players on a list must go.

Capping expenditure on football departments is the most *ed thing ever and holding the game back and paying an equalisation tax is just dumb.

Clubs need to spend the money to get better and improve players. The talent pool has dried up and there is no serious money for a serious sportsman.

EPL clubs spend millions in youth academies and training facilities to develop their own players and the AFL wants to cap it and tax it.

EPL is pure - there are no restrictions on how the club is run and how much you earn nor how much you lose. Its an open market system.

AFL will only come close to this if it allows state league clubs having a division 2 type competition and allowing them to develop their own players their own squad in view to compete in AFL in future without capping, taxing, engineering an outcome etc

No its not. In the AFL, any team has a reasonable chance of winning it. The EPL is governed by money. Only the big clubs will win it. What Leicester did was a 5000-1 once in a lifetime thing. It wont happen again for a very long time. There are still only 6-8 clubs that will win the EPL.

No its not. In the AFL, any team has a reasonable chance of winning it. The EPL is governed by money. Only the big clubs will win it. What Leicester did was a 5000-1 once in a lifetime thing. It wont happen again for a very long time. There are still only 6-8 clubs that will win the EPL.
Next year....Sunderland (or Bournemouth) will win it....you heard it here first.

Basically, just bookmark anything i say.

Agree with the above poster, we should avoid an open market system. Yes, Hawks, Geelong and Sydney have been up for the last 10 years but in 10 years things are likely to be different. You can pencil in Liverpool, Arsenal etc to be contending in 2026 + whoever is the latest to be bankrolled Man City style.

I like that our competition transforms so much, it's a lot better for the supporters.

Too many restrictions in the competition. Maybe keep the draft but the salary cap and number of players on a list must go.

Capping expenditure on football departments is the most ******ed thing ever and holding the game back and paying an equalisation tax is just dumb.

Clubs need to spend the money to get better and improve players. The talent pool has dried up and there is no serious money for a serious sportsman.

EPL clubs spend millions in youth academies and training facilities to develop their own players and the AFL wants to cap it and tax it.

EPL is pure - there are no restrictions on how the club is run and how much you earn nor how much you lose. Its an open market system.

AFL will only come close to this if it allows state league clubs having a division 2 type competition and allowing them to develop their own players their own squad in view to compete in AFL in future without capping, taxing, engineering an outcome etc

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What an absolute pile of steaming neo-liberal garbage.

Do yourself a favour - if you wish to peddle free market philosophy, go back and read Smith, then have a think about where we are today.

Edit - more laughter.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

65809543.jpg

Last edited:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What an absolute pile of steaming neo-liberal garbage.

Do yourself a favour - if you wish to peddle free market philosophy, go back and read Smith, then have a think about where we are today.

Edit - more laughter.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

View attachment 243070

Ok no problem Marx.

Mediocrity it is then.

What a dumb comparison. The four teams mentioned have been the best for about 10 years.

In the EPL, since the start.

There is no comparison. You just have short memory and can't imagine a world where the Lions Crows and Kangaroos had collected all but one flag from 1996 through to 2003.

There's a reason the Leicester story is huge - it isn't supposed to happen because the EPL isn't built like the AFL. They aren't supposed to have a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leicester City's recent triumph in the EPL has got me thinking that the EPL is now a more even competition than the AFL.

The AFL equivalent of Leicester City's recent success would be North Melbourne or Western Bulldogs winning this year's AFL premiership.

As much as we all love to get behind the underdog, I just can't see either of these sides winning a premiership in the current AFL environment.

The EPL has it's own Big 4 and the AFL's own Big 4 equivalents would be as follows..

Manchester United = Geelong
Chelsea = Hawthorn
Arsenal = Sydney
Liverpool = Collingwood

The media this year have loved to jump on the bandwagons of West Coast, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Adelaide and GWS, depending who has the best win of the round, but the sad reality is that these clubs are merely making up the numbers.

The premiership this year will be won by Geelong, Sydney or Hawthorn, thus continuing the monopoly that these 3 sides have had over the competition from 2005 onwards.

Between 1990 and 2004 there were 9 sides that won the flag.

Between 2005 and 2015 there were 5 sides that won the flag.

Do you think the AFL is now less of an even competition than the EPL, despite all the equalisation measures in place such as drafts, salary cap, football department cap and the fixture?
Before this season in the 2005 to 2015 time period only 3 EPL teams won Chelsea, Man U, and Man City.

Furthermore only 1 other team (Liverpool) even managed a runners up.

AFL managed 5 different winners in 11 seasons as well as 3 other runners up, making 8 unique teams.

One freakin wierd season does not make the EPL a less lopsided comp.

No.

Geelong did not win a premiership for 44 years

The swans 73 years

The Hawks were once the laughing stock of the league

The magpies have won 2 premierships in 60 years

Melbourne dominated the 50s

Richmond / Carlton dominated from 67-82

The VFL was more like the EPL in the 80s when only Carlton , hawthorn or Essendon could win it @ the start of the year. Hence we have a draft & salary cap

The OP has little or no understanding of history !!

Ok no problem Marx.

Mediocrity it is then.

Here, let me help you out.

See, you are simply relaying 'things' you hear other people say about how good free market economies are - THAT'S why you don't want to discuss it further.

You have no real insight into why such a philosophy is positive for society (read: flawed), you simply regurgitate what you hear 'is good' - but let me give you another hint - look at the disparity in competition (the cornerstone of a free market for a consumer) relative to population.

Go do some research on your politics yourself, rather than drink in the soup that gets served as information.

Last edited:
No.

Geelong did not win a premiership for 44 years

The swans 73 years

The Hawks were once the laughing stock of the league

The magpies have won 2 premierships in 60 years

Melbourne dominated the 50s

Richmond / Carlton dominated from 67-82

The VFL was more like the EPL in the 80s when only Carlton , hawthorn or Essendon could win it @ the start of the year. Hence we have a draft & salary cap

The OP has little or no understanding of history !!

Not entirely correct it was the only system where Richmond, Bulldogs, Saints, Melbourne won a flag in s span of 20 years between 1948 -1968.

Sure some clubs were dominating but didn't last forever, well equally as long as Brisbane, Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney are today in 5-10 year bursts.

Here, let me help you out.

See, you are simply relaying 'things' you hear other people say about how good free market economies are - THAT'S why you don't want to discuss it further.

You have no real insight into why such a philosophy is positive for society (read: flawed), you simply regurgitate what you hear 'is good' - but let me give you another hint - look at the disparity in competition (the cornerstone of a free market for a consumer) relative to population.

Go do some research on your politics yourself, rather than drink in the soup that gets served as information.

Whatever you say silly sausage.

Furthermore between 1975-1985 there were six different premiers. (50% of the competition in a 12 team competition)

Strange thing to say when both those sides are top 4 at the moment.

Getting a bit tired of people saying the Bulldogs or North winning this years premiership is the equivalent to Leicester. It isn't even close ffs, we have a salary cap and every team gets a even chance. Leicester's starting 11 on average cost £23 million, Chelsea's last year cost £200 mil. Now tell me that it's similar to AFL ffs.

If I live until the end of time, I'll still never understand why people support and advocate for an EPL style "free-market" system in the AFL. Apart from this year and the Leicester City freak show, the EPL has been as boring as batshit for decades with the Premiership shared between Man U, Man C, Chelsea or Arsenal.

If the AFL were to move to that model, then the only teams that would ever win flags would be the economic powerhouses i.e. West Coast, Adelaide and Collingwood. Poor clubs and those on struggle street would never get out of the morass as they wouldn't be able to compete economically. Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Port, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne, St. Kilda would never, ever win a flag. The mid tier clubs (economically speaking) such as Hawks, Essendon, Carlton, Geelong, Sydney, Freo would snag a flag every now and then.

What a boring campaigner of a competition that would be. The equalization model, whilst not perfect, allows for a far more even competition and gives every supporter hope each year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back