Autopsy Is The Boak-Gray Era Destined For Failure?

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you consider a silver medallist in the Olympics not a "great" athlete. Is a player who never wins a Brownlow or a BnF not a "great" player?

Great =\= championship.

Edit: Also I wasn't implying that we are a great team I don't believe we are at all just saying that I don't think you have to win a premiership to be considered one.

Then it was unnecessary stating it.

There's a thread I started about Boak being over rated by Port supporters. You two should put on your Red Bull beanies and venture in.

I love Trav and disagree with you, but that last line made me chuckle. Sharp.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately, I think Gray and Boak won't play in a premiership. Firstly I think they only have 2022 to achieve it but they have to stay sound and there's never guarantees of that at their age. Then the midfield needs to evolve with the inclusion of fulltime top talent, and our only options are Rozee and Butters if they can do it. Of course we have to actually have a season of playing good football and that's doubtful.

Palpatine_Power

13 In A Row Participation Certificate 2023
Apr 9, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unless we start dropping below 10th, I’m concerned we will be the next Geelong - playing finals every other year, never a real threat and topping up with other club’s sloppy seconds after they’re past their prime.

Melbourne finished 17th in 2019 FFS, and Footscray somehow had pick 1 this year and playing in a GF. He can’t even get in the team.

It’s the first GF with no 200 gamer because they’re both loaded with high picks.

So yeah, I think so.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
There isn't a Port supporter in the world who would rather 5 finals appearances for no flags over one finals appearance for one flag.

FFS, the motto of the club is "we exist to win premierships". No flags in the Boak-Gray era= failure.

At some clubs, such matters are up for debate- but not at this one.

It’s the first GF with no 200 gamer because they’re both loaded with high picks.

Gawn (pick #34, 2009) would be if he didn’t cop a pair of ACL’s early and do that sloooooow ruck development thing a la Hayes.

There is a difference between shitting on something for the sake of it to having actual mature non meltdown discussions of how to get to the next level. FFS we made the prelim two years in a row but everyone on here is talking like we are Carlton.
But herein lies the problem. Obviously the timespans are different, but we have the same amount of flags post-Choco as Carlton does post-salary cap scandal which ultimately still has them ****ed to this day. We are a better team than Carlton, yes, and I'd argue the media hypes them up too much in preseason hence the elevated hope, but we as the better team should be expected to do more. When you're underperforming and not reaching achievable goals by the standards set by many including the club itself, you may as well be Carlton. For them, a club that hasn't played finals since 2013, it might be making finals. For us, a club that now has lost 2 consecutive home prelims, that goal should be a flag. And when we don't get that flag, the pitchforks come out, because we should be able to.

In regards to actual mature discussion on how to reach that, the general consensus is there, albeit dipped in a few layers of piss-taking, we need Hinkley out, we should have given Schofield a pathway to becoming the senior coach, we should * Bassett off and the list goes on and on, you can read for yourself in all the threads I guess.

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
I think both have arrived at there destination of realization that its the end of the line where the caboose has been released on which they were travelling on, for one of them I think.

Unpopular opinion perhaps, but I think its time to give them the Gold Watch and handshake, thanks for your service!!

Back