Is the Dogs Prelim the Greatest Moment in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A few of the GWS guys went the knuckle early and it cost them. Cameron broke Fletch's nose or was damn near close to it. They were mentally off for periods in the first half. I actually think Bevo's strict on-field discipline mantra all year had more effect on the prelim than it did in every other game that year combined.

Yeah I think our single minded focus on the ball won the game. Dickheads like Heath Shaw, Cameron and Patton were over the top on celebration and false bravado and looked distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
A few of the GWS guys went the knuckle early and it cost them. Cameron broke Fletch's nose or was damn near close to it. They were mentally off for periods in the first half. I actually think Bevo's strict on-field discipline mantra all year had more effect on the prelim than it did in every other game that year combined.

This win was incredible for so many reasons but knowing those utter campaigners - Greene, Cameron, Patton, Lobb in particular - all trudged off in tears and in agony after gobbing off and acting like thugs all game just made it a little bit more awesome.

Rhys Palmer

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
What about the atmosphere at the pub before the game "the brewery". Bulldogs supporter took over the place. All supporters getting a cheer on arrival, theme song played a few times. Then back after the game to watch the replay again.

Second favourite bulldog win of all time, yet the most emotional.
that was farking amazing. me wearing a t-shirt that said 'in bevo i trust' and everyone including channel 7 interviewing me. it was brilliant. remember these gusy wearing helmets impersonating little diego. wow. what a day. and at the 'dog at the tucker box' me and my mates taking pickies and an old dickhead saying this is nsw. * off you usueless, irrelevant twat. ha, ha, ha,,,, the memories are like it is still happening now. it will happen next year again. but this time it will be adelaide or sydney. GGGOOOO DDDDOOOOGGGSSS!!!!

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
No one is saying you are a 2nd rate supporter. I'm just saying if you weren't there you'll never know what it was like. I'm not saying that yours and anyone else's experience was not great, just that it was not at the place where it happened.

There are many reasons why I got more enjoyment and felt more emotional after the PF than I did the GF.

1. The lead up to the game at the pub. The bond between everyone that had travelled and the sense of excitement but pure fear.

2. After being at all 7 losing PF's and the pain that everyone of them caused, to finally win one and break the hoodoo was so special.

3. Sitting together with my 15 family and friends, something I wasn't able to do at the GF.

4. The after party at the Novotel with many former bulldog players and seeing the joy on their and all bulldog supporters faces.

GF day was special, but for me, GF day and the week leading up doesn't happen without PF. When we won the PF, I could finally look forward getting my hands on GF tickets, going to a GF week training session and the GF parade.

Let's hope we get to experience it all again one day soon.
GUYS WHO CARES, WE WON BOTH GAMES AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS...

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love all the love for the prelim, a special moment for all of us.

But, I have just revisited the second elimination final, where we gutted WCE, on their home turf, at the official odds of 67/1 to win the flag.

I think this was the game the whole football world thought: the doggies have really got something going here.

Astro_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What about the atmosphere at the pub before the game "the brewery". Bulldogs supporter took over the place. All supporters getting a cheer on arrival, theme song played a few times. Then back after the game to watch the replay again.

Second favourite bulldog win of all time, yet the most emotional.

I remember walking into The Brewery that was taken over by Bulldog supporters, getting a loud cheer and thinking 'we got this'

I remember walking into The Brewery that was taken over by Bulldog supporters, getting a loud cheer and thinking 'we got this'
I've been thinking about the amazing roll-up of Dogs supporters at GWS's "home" PF. We basically took over the joint and the home team got booed on its own turf. The players themselves remarked on how much noise we made for them and how they felt lifted.

I reckon that support would have been worth at least 7 points to the final result, wouldn't you say?

So ... well done Doggie fans. The long trek was worth it!

Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Falcons, Hawks, Braves
Unfortunately I cannot claim that clip - I found it on YouTube. It’s a ripper. It must have been taken by a neutral with some composure. I was a blubbering mess on the far wing having alcohol withdrawals

Jeez I just spotted myself in that video!

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
I've been thinking about the amazing roll-up of Dogs supporters at GWS's "home" PF. We basically took over the joint and the home team got booed on its own turf. The players themselves remarked on how much noise we made for them and how they felt lifted.

I reckon that support would have been worth at least 7 points to the final result, wouldn't you say?

So ... well done Doggie fans. The long trek was worth it!

I’ve been to sporting events, including the finals against Hawthorn and the 2016 Grand Final - that had much bigger crowds than the Preliminary Final.

But there was something special about this atmosphere at this game.

What I wrote in my ultra long post about my memories of this game - being at the ground, I felt like every Dogs supporter felt the same as me at every moment.

The roar when we came out on the ground, the booing of their players, the Bulldogs chant - especially after Bonti’s goal - were absolutely spine tingling.

Our players were magnificent, but so were our fans this day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The PF was gripping from start to finish, you dare not look away for an instant for fear of missing yet another pivotal piece of action. One impression I remember was the cockiness of the GWS supporters across the aisle from me who fully expected to win and were shocked to see how our upstarts took it up to them and then prevailed.
Definitely the most exciting game I have ever seen considering the stakes on the line.
Like many others, I stood for what seemed like hours on the ground after the game soaking up the atmosphere and staring at that wonderful score board.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The PF was gripping from start to finish, you dare not look away for an instant for fear of missing yet another pivotal piece of action. One impression I remember was the cockiness of the GWS supporters across the aisle from me who fully expected to win and were shocked to see how our upstarts took it up to them and then prevailed.
Definitely the most exciting game I have ever seen considering the stakes on the line.
Like many others, I stood for what seemed like hours on the ground after the game soaking up the atmosphere and staring at that wonderful score board.
I was in a Bulldogs bay, there was a lone orange clad Giants supporter sitting towards the front who would actually stand up, turn around and wave her middle finger at everyone each time the Giants kicked a goal. Was glorious watching her walk out with her tail between her legs.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scrag has argued the Jesus rising on the third day of the scriptures was a more momentous occasion for human civilisation than the Doggies Prelim. It is a fair point and one worth robust discussion.

However, I would say that one scenario is pure fiction and the other was glorious reality. Amen.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scrag has argued the Jesus rising on the third day of the scriptures was a more momentous occasion for human civilisation than the Doggies Prelim. It is a fair point and one worth robust discussion.

However, I would say that one scenario is pure fiction and the other was glorious reality. Amen.

Hey, have some faith. I saw us win that Preliminary Final! It was no fiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i think i cried more winning this game than i did the grand final, does that make sense?
I think a lot of us felt similarly. It's an interesting psychology given our history , almost that the PF was the barrier we desperately needed to smash, and the GF was a beautiful bonus with the pressure off.

It was such a relief to win that PF, there was so much at stake if we lost. Griff becoming a premiership player after his defection, GWS, waltzing in to a premiership after taking Ward, Sheedy with his past put downs of the club, the injury toll etc.

I still think 2016 was the year GWS was the strongest, and on paper should have been premiers. But I still think 2009, we should have at least made the GF with the team we had that year, but a wounded Geelong did a Bulldog on us and for that matter the Saints.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i think i cried more winning this game than i did the grand final, does that make sense?

100% it makes sense. I was a blubbering mess at spotless stadium when the siren blew. The utter relief i felt in that moment was a build up of years of heartbreak and disappointment.

The whole experience was kinda like the PF was the waiting to see if we’d got a golden ticket and the GF was the day we all went to the chocolate factory.

Last edited:

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
I think what was so important about the prelim was that it truly captured what it was to be a bulldog supporter. All that pain and all that history came out in that moment. The feeling of pride was immense, and it certainly made me feel about my connection to the club (as I’m sure it did for others).

I don’t see why we need to compare it to the GF though, different experiences. They don’t come on a scale of happiness, it’s not that simple. Aspects aren’t comparable.

One moment I love from the GF was people piling out of the stands in groups at the G singing, pure joy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back