Opinion Is the game dead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
OP is conveniently ignoring scores of 150 and 122, also I take it the term ‘dead’ really means ‘has defence finally’.
As for how to open the game up, I say leave it alone and refer to my explanation from yesterday

I haven't ignored s**t, I'm pointing out the majority of the scores this round & which are representative of many rounds this season.

There should be the odd flogging, it's part of the game. What there shouldn't be is game after game with 3,4,5 goals a side kicked to 3QT & then a mad rush in the last quarter to win.

The game is devolving into who knows what.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
It's already a rule. And we can agree to disagree but I don't think the players are going to stand around with the ball on the deck and not pick it up.

No it's not. Not in the way you think it is.

Currently the rule is that a free for incorrect disposal is only where a player throws the ball or hands it to a teammate. Dropping the ball is not a free for incorrect disposal.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No it's not. Not in the way you think it is.

Currently the rule is that a free for incorrect disposal is only where a player throws the ball or hands it to a teammate. Dropping the ball is not a free for incorrect disposal.

I do not see that in the rules Rob, here is what they say. If I am wrong enlighten me.

17.6 HOLDING THE BALL 17.6.1 Spirit and Intention The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.

17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity

(a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

(b) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, the field Umpire shall throw up the football when a Player, in the act of applying a Legal Tackle, holds the football to the body of the Player being tackled or the football is otherwise pinned to the ground.

17.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when:

(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;

(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession.

17.6.4 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: No Genuine Attempt Where a Player is in Possession of the Football and is able but does not genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled, a Free Kick shall be awarded.

Correct Disposal or Correctly Dispose: a Kick or Handball of the football by a Player. AFL rules page 11.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I haven't ignored s**t, I'm pointing out the majority of the scores this round & which are representative of many rounds this season.

There should be the odd flogging, it's part of the game. What there shouldn't be is game after game with 3,4,5 goals a side kicked to 3QT & then a mad rush in the last quarter to win.

The game is devolving into who knows what.
Refer to my explanation. The coaches are progressing - and some people don’t like the current direction of progression - but if they’re allowed to progress, there’ll be something you like come around soon enough. Instead the AFL pushes them back and, of course, coaches will firstly set out to regain what they have lost.

Won’t change a single thing. It’s the coaches putting numbers around the ball, not the AFL. It’s the coaches putting every player in the defensive 50. It’s the players with shocking goal kicking and general disposal. Look at how Clarkson coaches the Hawks against GWS; would any easy rule change change that? None of that is the AFLs doing.

I agree that effective disposal needs to be umpired better, but if it gets too harsh players will just not go for the ball. Already you see players waiting to tackle rather then retrieve the ball themselves; if you reward the tackler even more you will see that increase tenfold.

So to reduce the ability for coaches to flood they implemented new kick in rules and 6-6-6 at centre bounces. Scoring has fallen. so now we have to find something else to "fix" the game?

I think we do this thread at least annually. It is like we programmed to panic about the "state of the game" every July.

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
set shot goalkicking is abysmal.
6-6-6 would have more of a positive effect if goalkicking improved.

6-6-6 was designed to spread the field after a goal.
You get a game or a quarter where there is accurate goal kicking and the game is open and flowing, due to the 6-6-6 resetting the field.
Players constantly missing from 20m - 30m out is not clearing congestion, and helping in keeping the ball locked into one half of the ground.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I do not see that in the rules Rob, here is what they say. If I am wrong enlighten me.

No problem.

17.12 OTHER A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who:
(a) throws the football;
(b) hands the football to another Player;

17.6 HOLDING THE BALL 17.6.1 Spirit and Intention The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.

17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity

(a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.

(b) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, the field Umpire shall throw up the football when a Player, in the act of applying a Legal Tackle, holds the football to the body of the Player being tackled or the football is otherwise pinned to the ground.

17.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled. For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the football when:

(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;

(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession.

17.6.4 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: No Genuine Attempt Where a Player is in Possession of the Football and is able but does not genuinely attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled, a Free Kick shall be awarded.

Correct Disposal or Correctly Dispose: a Kick or Handball of the football by a Player. AFL rules page 11.

This rule has to do with players being tackled - it quite clearly states that as long as you attempt to get rid of it you're OK. You don't get a free kick awarded against you if you simply don't dispose of it correctly (unless of course you're had prior). As it states, it's only where you deliberately don't dispose of it legally where you get penalised. Which rarely gets paid because it's hard for an umpire to tell whether a player does that.

I assume the situation you're talking about is where a player hasn't had prior.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Refer to my explanation. The coaches are progressing - and some people don’t like the current direction of progression - but if they’re allowed to progress, there’ll be something you like come around soon enough. Instead the AFL pushes them back and, of course, coaches will firstly set out to regain what they have lost.

There is no way this (or any other professional game) can be entrusted to the coaches, surely you can see that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yet another thread about low scores. In between scoring there's a football game going on. Watch it.
if by game you mean something resembling hot potato where 36 players with so little time or space just hand the ball around? It's borderline unwatchable, hence thread after thread are created on the very topic

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No problem.

17.12 OTHER A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who:
(a) throws the football;
(b) hands the football to another Player;

This rule has to do with players being tackled - it quite clearly states that as long as you attempt to get rid of it by hand or foot you're OK. You don't get a free kick awarded against you if you simply don't dispose of it correctly by hand or foot (unless of course you're had prior). As it states, it's only where you deliberately don't dispose of it legally where you get penalised. Which rarely gets paid because it's hard for an umpire to tell whether a player does that.

I assume the situation you're talking about is where a player hasn't had prior.

Thanks Rob, I would argue that the bolded bit I inserted is not observed though.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
There is no way this (or any other professional game) can be entrusted to the coaches, surely you can see that.
I’m not trusting the coaches to do it. It’ll happen because that’s just how it works. You always need a point of difference to win a flag, that’s where the evolution of the game occurs.
In recent years, these evolutions have been most often defensively focussed.
However, eventually, it will be so difficult to find a point of difference in defence that teams will be of greater value to find a point of difference in attack. And then we’ll have that evolution.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
listening to DOn Pike talk about the reaction to the recent 6 6 6 and kick out changes shows how far the coaches will go to control scoring against them. He basically said they introduced even more defensive tactics this year because they felt scoring would be easier. No matter what the AFL do the coaches will work a way to shut it down. Time to lift the value of scoring rather than trying to make it easier.

bring on the zooper!

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Yet another thread about low scores. In between scoring there's a football game going on. Watch it.

Some fans care about the game, most of what I've watched this weekend barely resembles football as I know it. Although good on Blues & Dees, kicked a score with a close finish, it can still be done...

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The AFL needs to grow a pair and make some real rule changes. They tried to last year but they completely chickened out when certain elements of the media and fans got upset.

Also the AFL need to do something about umpires. It is so important that the game get improvements in the quality of umpires as too many games are being decided these days by really bad umpiring. Stop rewarding bad umpires with more and more games.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree, and have no idea why he is treated as a God, but I reckon Terry Wallace had a big hand in it too...

Terry actually did start it...that game late in 2000 when he did the extreme flood on the unbeaten Bomber super side at Docklands.

Was unheard of at the time but it worked. Completely choked our normally free space forward line and sent our game plan into disarray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back